Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal price checker

• 11-11-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

What is the general run of prices nowadays ??
    I have a mix of weanlings ,stores and a few cull cows and would like to pick up a simple mix with barley and hulls .I was feeding the few weanlings 16% coarse off crecora which worked out at €340 in bags!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

cute geoge wrote: »
    What is the general run of prices nowadays ??
    I have a mix of weanlings ,stores and a few cull cows and would like to pick up a simple mix with barley and hulls .I was feeding the few weanlings 16% coarse off crecora which worked out at €340 in bags!!!

You should be able to get a good finishing ration for €260 blown in or in half tonne bags. A 16% will prob cost You more but all you are at at the minute is buying expensive plastic bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You can but Barley in bags for about 250/ton off dairy gold. It is in 20kg bags. Soyabean meal is around 11.5/bag AFAIK and is expensive at that considering that Soyabean meal is about 350/ton ex port.

However 5X20 bags of barley to 1/3 of a bag of soya bean meal is about 16% ration. No need of a fibre source unless you are feeding lots of it as silage will be enough fibre.. You will need to buy bagged minerals again DG have a good general purpose mineral at 18.50/bag. The mix works out at 270/ton without minerals. For 300kg weanlings minerals will cost 4.5c/head/day feed at 20 grams/100kgs LW. I would also feed 15-20grams/100kgs of limestone flour to weanlings the cost is less than 1.5c/day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You can but Barley in bags for about 250/ton off dairy gold. It is in 20kg bags. Soyabean meal is around 11.5/bag AFAIK and is expensive at that considering that Soyabean meal is about 350/ton ex port.

However 5X20 bags of barley to 1/3 of a bag of soya bean meal is about 16% ration. No need of a fibre source unless you are feeding lots of it as silage will be enough fibre.. You will need to buy bagged minerals again DG have a good general purpose mineral at 18.50/bag. The mix works out at 270/ton without minerals. For 300kg weanlings minerals will cost 4.5c/head/day feed at 20 grams/100kgs LW. I would also feed 15-20grams/100kgs of limestone flour to weanlings the cost is less than 1.5c/day.

Local coop here. Barley is 300/t in bulk..

Local coop here. Barley is 300/t in bulk..

Last time I got it was September might be a tenner dearer now but that would be it. DG are usually excellent to buy bagged barley off usually bagged price is 20-40 cheaper than anyone else. As well if you have an account they will give you ton or pallet price if taking a good bit from them. Ask for the pallet(70bags price, 1.4T) you can draw it away in 20 bags lots.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Fresh prices for winter in Lakelands.
    Tonne bags on account collected at yard.

225 maize
    230 hulls
    250 barley
    255 distillers
    395 soya
    265 hi cereal finisher ration
    283 gold finishers (extra minerals plus full acid buff)
    295 sucker start (all rounder for weanlings and under 16 months. Warmer up for intense feed of hi energy rations.
    11. Bag of cattle minerals
    24. Bag of acid buff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Got a price of 335 for a very good 21%protein ration nó fillers. Includes yeast, minerals, sodium bicarbonate and its cubed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Got a price of 335 for a very good 21%protein ration nó fillers. Includes yeast, minerals, sodium bicarbonate and its cubed.

Maize meal is 240 bulk delivered, tho a lad told me today he is paying 230, same supplier, same amounts, that drives me f##king mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Roches in Limerick do a 16% Weanling Coarse Ration collected at €7.50 a bag, so €300/tonne.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Maize meal is 240 bulk delivered, tho a lad told me today he is paying 230, same supplier, same amounts, that drives me f##king mad.

It happens it the same as buying Heinz Tomato Ketchup in Dunnes and finding it 20c cheaper in Supervalue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Sort of a related question - will rolled barley work in a bin? ie can it be stored in a feed bin, will it flow out freely, or would it stick ?

• Advertisement

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Sort of a related question - will rolled barley work in a bin? ie can it be stored in a feed bin, will it flow out freely, or would it stick ?

Ideally you should never put a single loose ingredient in a bin. However if it is well dried and you are using what is in the bin in 6 weeks you should be ok. However watch out that miller is not selling popcorn treated barley. It will separate a bit and you'll have some pure flour at the end.

Slava Ukrainii

oldsmokey wrote: »

It flows freely. It would wabt to be used fairly wickly nind you to stop it lodging

It happens it the same as buying Heinz Tomato Ketchup in Dunnes and finding it 20c cheaper in Supervalue.

Never seem to get any deals like buy one get one free;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

My 25kg of beef crunch has gone up €1.25 to €8.50. Is this reflected around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

My 25kg of beef crunch has gone up €1.25 to €8.50. Is this reflected around the country?

That’s an increase of €60 a ton to €340. Unless you are only using small amounts I’d be looking at a cheaper mix especially with beef prices at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

My 16% calf nuts are 9.15 a bag. That's 366 a ton. So I took a big bag and collected half a bag of high energy beef nuts for 290 a ton. I took a half ton as I don't have to many. The bags are dear

My 16% calf nuts are 9.15 a bag. That's 366 a ton. So I took a big bag and collected half a bag of high energy beef nuts for 290 a ton. I took a half ton as I don't have to many. The bags are dear

Buying small bags in ones and two or even 4-5's is a mugs games. Most mills and co-ops will do ton or pallet(1.75 tones) prices. If you are collecting a half ton they will hold this price. 290 would still be dear for a half ton.

Slava Ukrainii

Buying small bags in ones and two or even 4-5's is a mugs games. Most mills and co-ops will do ton or pallet(1.75 tones) prices. If you are collecting a half ton they will hold this price. 290 would still be dear for a half ton.

Did you ever buy barley off the combine and treat it bass? How does it compare value wise or is the extra work not worth it?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Did you ever buy barley off the combine and treat it bass? How does it compare value wise or is the extra work not worth it?

I did it once. However you have to buy 10+ tons but really you need to be doing 30+ tons. I got it crimped and treated it with an additive. You have to protect from crows and rats. I had to cover it completely with tyres and then had to cover that with netting. Then you had to keep rat poison down around it. By the time you buy plastic, netting and your additive you are only breaking even. You have to pay for everything up front and you either will not have enough or too much. If you have any waste you will be losing money.

If you were to do 30 ton you would have over 5500 ted up in feed in the yard the 1st of September. This is where big finishers get caught. Trying to squeeze a margin out of high up front costs. A lad finishing 200 cattle would have 50K+ tied up in feeding between silage and whole crop maize or barley if he was going down that road. The catch is you have to convert it all back into cash no matter what the price is.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

I did it once. However you have to buy 10+ tons but really you need to be doing 30+ tons. I got it crimped and treated it with an additive. You have to protect from crows and rats. I had to cover it completely with tyres and then had to cover that with netting. Then you had to keep rat poison down around it. By the time you buy plastic, netting and your additive you are only breaking even. You have to pay for everything up front and you either will not have enough or too much. If you have any waste you will be losing money.

If you were to do 30 ton you would have over 5500 ted up in feed in the yard the 1st of September. This is where big finishers get caught. Trying to squeeze a margin out of high up front costs. A lad finishing 200 cattle would have 50K+ tied up in feeding between silage and whole crop maize or barley if he was going down that road. The catch is you have to convert it all back into cash no matter what the price is.

I did it for years bought off combines always in good weather so no drying put on loft ton at a time too finish 25/30 cattle.
    Bruised through the floor.
    Baught straights off merchant corn glutan and some yellow meal+minerals simple mix I was happy with results always had nice shiny stock.
    Warning do not start feeding fresh barley it will kill stock.

• Advertisement

€11 for a 40kg bag of barely. Is this about average nation wide?

Is it OK to feed straight barley along with grazing. I was thinks 3kg ahead angus cross?

€11 for a 40kg bag of barely. Is this about average nation wide?

That is 270/ton. Have not priced straight Barley lately. Last time I was getting it was 240/ton. Dairygold are usually very good value if you take at least a 1/2 ton at the time. I consider that dear for 40kg bags due to difficulty in handling. its supposed to be commimg off the combine at sub 150/ton @205 moisture

Slava Ukrainii

I have just purchased 6 x 25 kg bags of nutrias maize meal @ €7 each. I did not know it was sold like this until I came across it in store. I will be feeding it to Angus steers currently grazing grass. I hope to finish in two months.

Any advice on feeding it out?

How much for 40kg bags of barley?

How much for 40kg bags of barley?

Have not seen 40kg bags anywhere in a while purely from a handling point of view. Dairygold 230/ton by the pallet

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

Have not seen 40kg bags anywhere in a while purely from a handling point of view. Dairygold 230/ton by the pallet

Still plenty of them available around here.....

What are you all paying for meal?
    Getting a finishing course ration blown in for €240 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Cavanjack wrote: »
    What are you all paying for meal?
    Getting a finishing course ration blown in for €240 here.
    250/ton for a 16% beef ration (barley, distillers based) similar in nut is 260/ton.

• Advertisement

Both of those sound very reasonable. Dairygold has increased the price of bagged rolled barley to 250/ton by the pallet. Barley, maize have hills with 2% mins are 240/ton in bulk. I want to be seeing the percentages of what is in the ration.

From the feedback I am getting any decent finishing ration will be north of 250/ton in ration form. If a beef ration is 16%and coming on around 250/ton again I like to see all the ingredients and the percentages. We really should be getting a detailed breakdown of what in a ration or nut at this stage.

This is no longer a game costs are climbing all the time beef price is static or dropping. Present indication are that rations will climb by 10-20/ton. However I thing DG are taking the piss at this stage. 95/ton to dry and bag barley is bit much

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement