Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meal price checker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was stuck 2 weeks ago and bought a few 25kg bags of rolled barley from Glanbia - worked out at €248/ton. I have since sourced it from a tillage neighbour and am collecting it from his yard in 1/2 ton bags for €200/ton. It's a bit awkward scooping it out of the big bags but no more than the hassle of handling lots of 25kg bags and paying nearly an extra €50/ton.

Getting a 15% beef nut for €260 but will be pricing around before getting any more of that.

In the south-east of the country here.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Both of those sound very reasonable. Dairygold has increased the price of bagged rolled barley to 250/ton by the pallet. Barley, maize have hills with 2% mins are 240/ton in bulk. I want to be seeing the percentages of what is in the ration.

From the feedback I am getting any decent finishing ration will be north of 250/ton in ration form. If a beef ration is 16%and coming on around 250/ton again I like to see all the ingredients and the percentages. We really should be getting a detailed breakdown of what in a ration or nut at this stage.

This is no longer a game costs are climbing all the time beef price is static or dropping. Present indication are that rations will climb by 10-20/ton. However I thing DG are taking the piss at this stage. 95/ton to dry and bag barley is bit much
    Very true, but people have to include the main ingredients if their is any comparison to be made . 50% maize meal,25 % barley 25% distillers/hulls , blown in at €250

• Registered Users Posts: 18,653 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

1373 wrote: »
    Very true, but people have to include the main ingredients if their is any comparison to be made . 50% maize meal,25 % barley 25% distillers/hulls , blown in at €250

That's a good price in present context

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How much would you save say buying straights in bulk and mixing them yourself if you had a feeder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kevthegaff wrote: »
    How much would you save say buying straights in bulk and mixing them yourself if you had a feeder

Thinking of going down this route too and would be interested in hearing people’s views. See a couple of lads on YouTube crimping barley and storing it under cover. Would you save €40-€50 a tonne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Thinking of going down this route too and would be interested in hearing people’s views. See a couple of lads on YouTube crimping barley and storing it under cover. Would you save €40-€50 a tonne?

I don't know how much ton you intend feeding but my argument was and is... Is it worth the hassle, safe storage space and the labour used to get the desired mix. For the sake of a few quid if you could buy a somewhat decent mix from the mill I think the option far outweighs the saving.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Speaking of barley - has anyone used “barley balancer”?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Cavanjack wrote: »

Problem with straights or crimping is you are then committed to turning this type of feed back into money during that winter. As well if you have not got enough you have to go back out and source similar feed. You will also have to pay maybe 6-8 months earlier than from a miller. The risk of spoilage, wastage and damage is there as well.
    You need fair numbers to make it work. I generally got away from winter feeding 4-5years ago. Now I might have a few stragglers to feed for Christmas but I have given up that at the end of every winter all you had left was the meal bill

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

kk.man wrote: »
    I don't know how much ton you intend feeding but my argument was and is... Is it worth the hassle, safe storage space and the labour used to get the desired mix. For the sake of a few quid if you could buy a somewhat decent mix from the mill I think the option far outweighs the saving.

Plus the hassle of reloading the mix into your barrow if that’s all you’re using. Also any good straight worth feeding is dusty eg barley,maize. Most smaller mills will mix a bit for you and blow it in with a bit of molasses added plus minerals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Just priced hi energy nuts E430 coarse E415 from Co op

I taught prices were supposed to drop ,any one doing better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Paying under 400 here anyway , what protein nut you getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Text yesterday price down 30 euro/ ton.

Not much use since I don't pay quoted price anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

420 for a top quality 16% with megalac and soya bean/rape as the protein sources and no pk, same crowd will sell you the yard sweeping mix with oat hulls pk maize gluten etc for a 16% nut for 370

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Paid €360 at the end of May for a finishing nut. I’d expect it to be less now.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭leoch

Wats hi maize finishing ration at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Lakelands 50 percent maize, 385

Scotts/fayne valley 50 percent maize 430 (old stock possibly)

Have coarse ration prices droped much as I need to get a few tonne this week

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mr..

€10/ ton bulk collected and 50cent in 25kg bags, thats in the midlands

345/ton for the bulk and 580 for the small bags

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Gave €370/ blown in last week for a good quality bull beef nut. I thought it was a lot considering how much the price of corn is back this year here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭893bet

14.50 a small bag × 40

Has to be a robbery. Is it possible to get 40 kg empty bags filled at the bulk price out of the meal bin in the Co op? That what I do when I'm not buying tonnes bags of meal at quiet times of year.

you can buy straight maize for 320/ton in small bags out of Dairygold. I would not be buying an expensive lucky bags.

Slava Ukrainii

No bulk in co op, how long would bulk keep for? Im only using about 20-25kg a day

Depends where you store it but you'd be using a tonne in 40 days, so it would be grand stored for that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

That’s with out any haggling over price

• Advertisement

Good ration seems mainly a barley based ration with two different protein sources. Must be 50+% barley. Only crib is the oats.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement