Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done deal dodgy car deal - advice please

Options
  • 11-11-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Please share your advice. I bought my first car ever off a dude in Dundalk at the end of Sept.

He sold to me the day after he bought it from a garage in navan.
    He had me sign a photocopy of a log book and since then has not changed the name/ send us the new log book (confirmed by Shannon).

The guards have helped us find the name of the previous owner who confirmed the sale, and also the garage who sold it to this man.
    The garage is trying to get the dude to bring in the log book so we can have the car signed over to us, and he keeps saying he will tomorrow, but its been 2 months now and he is full of excuses every time anyone talks to him.

I have records of the ad, his done deal account into, the guards came out and checked the car and said it is now registered under a traveller in Dublin though it has not been registered as stolen and the dude has confirmed to the garage that he sold it to me.

We're not sure they're not going to come and steal it back, trying to keep positive. We don't have proper info for this person (looks like the contact info we got was fake). Does anyone know how I can legally find out the name of the person the car is logged under?

And to get the car under my name without the logbook and/ or going to court? I know I was an idiot trusting this guy with the photocopy of the log book. Worst and most stupid thing I ever did. Just trying now to rescue the situation and get the car on the road.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Go to a solicitor and get a signed undertaking that you now own the car and send it to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Also get the car checked out and see have the VIN numbers been tampered with. Hate to say it but there is the possibilty it may be a clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,343 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Does sound like a cloning scam.
    Garage sold it legit to guy who sold to op. Sounds like that guy possibly sold it on immediately and sold a stolen clone also on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ananda30

Good advice, the guards came and checked the car on Friday and said it is the real deal though!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Ananda30 wrote: »

We're not sure they're not going to come and steal it back, trying to keep positive.

Get an additional immobiliser on it that requires a code to be entered on a small keypad (Clifford Blackjax) or one that requires a fob to start the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ananda30

That is a brilliant idea, thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

how did this finish up? Did you get it sorted in the end?

Advertisement