Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating cost comparison

• 11-11-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I know there are plenty of posts on this subject & I've had a look at a few but can find exactly the answers I'm looking for.
    I recently renovated a cottage & installed a solid fuel stove with s back burner that heats the radiators & hot water.
    I didn't install an oil/gas boiler for a number of reasons, cost being one of the main one.
    Also, most of the year I have a readily available supply of timber which costs me little or nothing.
    However, at the moment I don't have any timber so I am burning peat briquettes regularly.
    So my question is this;
    How much does it cost to run to run a 2KW heater for approx 8 hours per day?
    I am burning approx one to one & a half bales of briquettes a day at a cost of €4.50 per bale.
    I get the feeling It would be cheaper to heat the house using the electric heater?
    I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

If 1kw costs around 0.18cent,then 2kw* 8hours x 0.18=2.88eur. 30 days respectively will be 86eur. It depends on what you pay per unit, check your bills.
    Also, if a heater has a timer,it can be set to turn on and off so you can probably bring it down to 6 hours of actual running which will be 2.16 per day and 64eur per month respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Mpmitch82 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I know there are plenty of posts on this subject & I've had a look at a few but can find exactly the answers I'm looking for.
    I recently renovated a cottage & installed a solid fuel stove with s back burner that heats the radiators & hot water.
    I didn't install an oil/gas boiler for a number of reasons, cost being one of the main one.
    Also, most of the year I have a readily available supply of timber which costs me little or nothing.
    However, at the moment I don't have any timber so I am burning peat briquettes regularly.
    So my question is this;
    I am burning approx one to one & a half bales of briquettes a day at a cost of €4.50 per bale.
    I get the feeling It would be cheaper to heat the house using the electric heater?
    I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

You are burning 1.5 bales of briquettes/day which results in a stove input of 1.5*67, 100.5 Kwh, the stove output @ 75% efficiency will be 100.5*0.75, 75 kwh to house & hot water heating. Useful cost/Kwh is 4.5*1.5*100/75, 9.0 C/Kwh.
    If you are to produce this same amount of heat electrically ie electric heater + electric immersion, it will cost 75*18/100, €13.5/day as against 75*9/100, €6.75 for your stove.

I really don't know what a 2 Kw heater will do in the above context

https://www.seai.ie/resources/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Latro

Mpmitch82 wrote: »
    Hi,

Are you sure 16kWh of heat energy per day would provide you with reasonable comfort? I'm skeptical.

If you have open plan test it with your oven:) It probably has 2kW coil.

1kWh of heat will roughly cost you in euros:
    -electricity @100% efficiency 0.16
    -briquettes @50% 0.13
    -coal @50% 0.12
    -oil @80% 0.10
    -gas @80% 0.08
    -heat pump @300% 0.05

Latro wrote: »

Are you sure 16kWh of heat energy per day would provide you with reasonable comfort? I'm skeptical.

If you have open plan test it with your oven:) It probably has 2kW coil.

1kWh of heat will roughly cost you in euros:
    -electricity @100% efficiency 0.16
    -briquettes @50% 0.13
    -coal @50% 0.12
    -oil @80% 0.10
    -gas @80% 0.08
    -heat pump @300% 0.05

If 16 Kwh/day is/will be adequate then his whole house must feel like that oven with the existing 75 Kwh/day from the stove?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Latro

John.G wrote: »
    If 16 Kwh/day is/will be adequate then his whole house must feel like that oven with the existing 75 Kwh/day from the stove?.

When Mpmitch asked about running 2kW radiator for 8h I presumed he thinks it would be enough to heat his house.

He could test it by running his 2kW oven with open door which would be about equivalent of running electric radiator of same power. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mpmitch82

Hi,
    Thanks for that.
    It's a small cottage & I dryline insulated the walls
    & ceilings when I renovated.
    The one 2KW heater is more than sufficient to have the kitchen/living area & 1 of the bedrooms at a comfortable temperature. Well it is for the moment, I accept it might not be enough when the depths of winter hit..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mpmitch82

Hi,
    Thanks for that.
    It's a small cottage & I dryline insulated the walls
    & ceilings when I renovated.
    The one 2KW heater is more than sufficient to have the kitchen/living area & 1 of the bedrooms at a comfortable temperature. Well it is for the moment, I accept it might not be enough when the depths of winter hit..
    Any yes, the house is like a sauna when the stove is on for any extended period of time.
    Once the house is up to temperature I close it off, however over the course of a day it can still easily go through a bale of briquettes.

That's a very comfortable house alright but don't forget you will have to budget for your hot water needs as well now.

Advertisement