Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access CCTV via DNS

Options
  • 11-11-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to setup my 4 Camera CCTV so i can access it via the internet.

The router i'm using is a TP link MR6400 and I've setup DDNS. The status is "Login Succeeded"

I've also setup port forwarding and all settings look correct.

I can access the camera's via the app on my phone once i'm connected to my Home wifi network, but I can't access via the internet.

I've checked all the settings and they look correct, but when i go to canyouseeme.org, and input the port that i have forwarded, it tells my its not accessible.

Am i missing a step?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'm trying to setup my 4 Camera CCTV so i can access it via the internet.

The router i'm using is a TP link MR6400 and I've setup DDNS. The status is "Login Succeeded"

I've also setup port forwarding and all settings look correct.

I can access the camera's via the app on my phone once i'm connected to my Home wifi network, but I can't access via the internet.

I've checked all the settings and they look correct, but when i go to canyouseeme.org, and input the port that i have forwarded, it tells my its not accessible.

Am i missing a step?

It could be that your ISP is blocking the port. Give them a ring and ask do they block the port. If they don't, then you must have made an mistake opening the port

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LTE unit, you're most likely behind carrier NAT. You cannot open ports if you dont control your own public address.

Does the WAN IP on the MR show as 10.x yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It could be that your ISP is blocking the port. Give them a ring and ask do they block the port. If they don't, then you must have made an mistake opening the port

Thanks I'll give them a call. I think you may be right as everything work fine before i changed internet providers/routers.

ED E wrote: »
    LTE unit, you're most likely behind carrier NAT. You cannot open ports if you dont control your own public address.

Does the WAN IP on the MR show as 10.x yeah?

Sorry, I'm not very IT savy...

I'm not sure what your saying? are you referring to the IP address of my CCTV/DVR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

it looks like you are using mobile broadband, via a SIM card in the router, most if not all mobile broadband providers will be using Network Address Translation, this means your IP with be 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or something like that, but the internet will see you with a different address. The traffic that hits your external internet address will be passed to your 10. IP.

That a very basic way to explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Put simply with say Eir or Sky broadband (phone line) 123.123.123.123 = one router, one house.

With mobile 123.123.123.123 is shared by 100 mobile phones and mobile routers. Or more. So you cannot remotely connect as the address doesnt tell you who you're intending to connect to.

Who is your ISP?

ED E wrote: »
    Put simply with say Eir or Sky broadband (phone line) 123.123.123.123 = one router, one house.

With mobile 123.123.123.123 is shared by 100 mobile phones and mobile routers. Or more. So you cannot remotely connect as the address doesnt tell you who you're intending to connect to.

Who is your ISP?

My ISP is Rural wifi. Previously i was with O2 and I had a 3g router with a sim card in it and i was able to access the cameras on-line.

I thought that setting Dynamic DNS on the router gave a direct link no? When i was with O2,On my phone app i input the DNS Domain Name, the Port number and the password as per my CCTV/DVR.

Now that i'm with Rural Wifi, i did have to change the IP address of the DVR. It was xxx.xxx.1.xx and i had to change it to xxx.xxx.0.xx. Once i did this i can access the cameras when connected to my home wifi only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

07Lapierre wrote: »
    My ISP is Rural wifi. Previously i was with O2 and I had a 3g router with a sim card in it and i was able to access the cameras on-line.

I thought that setting Dynamic DNS on the router gave a direct link no? When i was with O2,On my phone app i input the DNS Domain Name, the Port number and the password as per my CCTV/DVR.

Now that i'm with Rural Wifi, i did have to change the IP address of the DVR. It was xxx.xxx.1.xx and i had to change it to xxx.xxx.0.xx. Once i did this i can access the cameras when connected to my home wifi only.

It should still work with DDNS as I use that set up. You just changed your IP to suit the router configuration around the IP addresses. I would say your ISP is the issue here especially since you opened the port on your router.

Advertisement