Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cutting mdf?

• 11-11-2018 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Want to cut some very light MDF (5mm, or less thick, the super cheap stuff). Ive tried a saw and a hack saw and both make a mess (I don't have a nice table, or a band/circular saw).

Would using my Aldi bought parkside angle grinder be good? Says 76ø for the discs, Im hoping I could pick up an appropriate disc and give it a try.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No idea about angle grinders, but you need a fine toothed, sharp saw and the board firmly anchored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

A jigsaw with a fine blade, plus some tape on the top, high speed but little pressure usually works.
    Alternatively, a saw/blade for metal cutting does the trick as well.
    Also, sandwiching between two chunkier planks of throw away wood if everything else fails.
    Angle grinder with appropriate wood cutting disk works as well I guess, but could be tricky to do a straight cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

looksee wrote: »
    No idea about angle grinders, but you need a fine toothed, sharp saw and the board firmly anchored.
    Is there a name, bowe/japanesse/hack or similar? for that type of saw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

A jigsaw with a fine blade, plus some tape on the top, high speed but little pressure usually works.
    Alternatively, a saw/blade for metal cutting does the trick as well.
    Also, sandwiching between two chunkier planks of throw away wood if everything else fails.
    Angle grinder with appropriate wood cutting disk works as well I guess, but could be tricky to do a straight cut.

Tried the jigsaw (old black and decker) almost impossible to control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

jogdish wrote: »

MDF needs to be fixed properly on both sides using a plank and clamps so it doesn’t wobble. Cut between tables of same heights of you have that are close together (don’t cut into the tables of course!)
    High speed on the jigsaw with the forward movement (pendulum action) turned off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

An angle grinder will burn. I've used one to cut wood with screws stuck in it when putting in new windows.

If the mdf is that crappy I wonder if scoring it a good few times with a stanley knife blade would work. Once you have a deep score will it snap leaving a clean enough edge on the main face which you scored? You need a good straight edge to try that.

you could also try double scoring where you score two lines leaving the thickness of whatever saw blade you are using then cut between the score lines. That might just help keep the face from tearing to bits. Tape first then score even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Keep saw blade at very shallow angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

cutting MDF in general is messy, fibres go everywhere

I don't think a hacksaw or angle grinder is an appropriate tool for cutting wood

If its a sheet, then a circular saw with a fine blade should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Ak84

For 5 mm a sharp stanley blade will cut it with no mess as someone else suggested. But by god be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

As previous .. Fine toothed circular saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

beauf wrote: »
    As previous .. Fine toothed circular saw.

I wouldnt buy a circular saw just for this job. ( i have 3 of them) but i wouldnt buy one .

A New Stanley blade and a straight edge as pointed to above is ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jogdish wrote: »

Get a different blade.

Advertisement