Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ventilation for a kitchen that steams up

• 11-11-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I could do with some advice here so please speak up. I have a home that is effectively in two parts. One half is 100+ years old and the other is 30 years old. There is no heating other than a range which supplies me with hot water, but my problem is with the newer part which was a self-build extension executed by an idiot. It is a concrete block construction with no wall or floor insulation, and the roof is corrugated tile sheets, again, without insulation. I know what I have to do in the long term, but for the moment I just want to help it out by effectively removing the constant condensation. I leave the windows open all the time but when I cook, the kitchen and the rooms nearest to it will have water running down the walls. I think my best bet for the moment is to fit a good quality extractor so I can remove the condensation and hopefully stop any of the problems that will arise from it. So, my question to you is can you suggest a quality one that is readily available in Ireland?

Interesting enough, the older part of the house ( solid stone walls and lime ) is not a problem although it is obviously cold.

Thank you for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The older part of the house is probably draughty as hell so condensation is not a problem.

Any off-the-shelf extractor will do just fine provided it's installed correctly. If you don't already have a external vent, then you'll need to cut one. Overall a pretty straightforward job.

https://powercity.ie/product/EH901SS

I've linked that assuming you've a 90cm range. If yours is larger, you should get a larger extractor to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AddisonD

seamus wrote: »
    The older part of the house is probably draughty as hell so condensation is not a problem.

Any off-the-shelf extractor will do just fine provided it's installed correctly. If you don't already have a external vent, then you'll need to cut one. Overall a pretty straightforward job.

https://powercity.ie/product/EH901SS

I've linked that assuming you've a 90cm range. If yours is larger, you should get a larger extractor to match.

Thank you for replying Seamus.

Advertisement