Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with powerpoint please

• 11-11-2018 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hello, I'm just wondering if someone can help me with what I assume is a simple fix. I use powerpoint slides a lot for my tutoring however I have recently noticed that the 'Insert' tab no longer contains 'Add ins' or 'Store'. I'm assuming that in my lack of expertise using computers I have inadvertently deleted it or something and I now need it for a course I am pursuing. I am required to add in an interactive slide from Mentimeter into my powerpoint slides but I cant as the add ins and store are missing. Please help me find it or re-enable it or whatever. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What version of Office ? Check if "Add-ins" available to add to ribbon:

Customize the ribbon in Office

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernieobr

Hi Smuggler.ie, thanks for the reply. Its office 365 and powerpoint 2016 as far as I know. I'm not good with computers at all. I have managed to get add ins back as a command on the 'Insert' tab but the symbol for 'store' is still missing and I cant seem to find that when I go into File then Options then Customise the Ribbon. There are 2 lists where you can move things from the left hand list to the right hand one but I dont see anything about 'Store'.

"Store" is under "Add-ins" . Click "Get Add-ins"

466050.PNG

Thanks again for the help. I see what you mean. The reason I got confused is that 'Store' was a blue icon in exactly the place where you have underlined and it was there a few days ago so that's why I thought I had deleted it or something. I don't understand why it changed and the blue icon is no longer there. I get very confused if things change from the way I am used to seeing them.

MS Office is under constant updates same as Win10 and Microsoft don't give 2 Sh1ts if this is confusing or annoying paying customers like yourself.
    You, as well as millions of other MS Office users, are "lab rats" for whatever new "design" their developers will through at you. You gave your consent for this the very moment you decide to use their products.

One of many side effects in "Win10 & O365" era. Enjoy.

As tutor you probably feel this most - constant learning, not time for teaching. On the other hand...
    It is what we know already that often prevents us from learning. Claude Bernard
    Someone here using this as signature.

• Advertisement

Ye it is very confusing for someone like me who is a digital immigrant as opposed to a digital native!! As I am now pursuing another degree for myself with a module called communication and technology in education where I have to design an online course with 'digital learning objects' like podcasts, mentimeter, zeetings etc which I have no knowledge of, I have a lot of learning ahead of me. Will have to stop sleeping for a while to meet the deadline. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Hi, I'm working on a college assignment that requires me to design an online course for students. I've been trying to create a crossword that I could upload to my moodle page and use this as an 'exam' for these online students however I'm having difficulty getting any from the web that the 'students' could download, complete and upload it back to moodle as an assignment. Anyone any ideas how I can do this. Help would be much appreciated.

Not Moodle user, guess you could ask your Q on Moodle community forums

Not Moodle user, guess you could ask your Q on Moodle community forums

Perfect, I'll try that, thanks a million

Apologies but I'm back again about this online crossword. I have been told that there is that the only way to get this on my moodle page is to create a link to a webpage that my students can follow.

I have a crossword done with Eclipse crosswords which I have saved as a webpage, (it says its a Chrome html document) but its saved to my desktop therefore the URL looks like this file:///C:/Users/name/Desktop/cr.html

When I cut and paste this into a URL icon on my moodle page it wont allow me or my students to follow the link - nothing happens!

Can someone tell me how to change it to a URL that will work? Thank you

• Advertisement

As i mentioned - not Moodle user/admin.

Unfortunately, don't know much about it, however my logic says you have to upload (not paste link/path) your files into the course. This way it will be on server and will be accessible to your students.

https://www.google.com/search?q=creating+moodle+course&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix6IuXvenfAhV0unEKHXL5BucQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=944

https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Working_with_files
    https://sleguidance.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/Moodle/pages/47153178/Uploading+Files+-+Alternative+Methods

Sorry if not much of a help

OK, here is update....

I have setup Moodle(v3.1.15+) server on VM(virtual machine)

There is no game module to begin with so you need to source it and install it on Moodle server. I used this one https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_game

1. Download zip file from link above.
    2. Follow steps in Install Plugin screenshot
    3. Create course.

This was easy part...
    Now you have to create or import glossary and this is where more research needed. I have created short little one, just to test crossword and it works - crossword is auto-created, however questions used at random . More course/crossword formatting needed as it didn't scale well for me but that is for starter.

To get it working and looking nice you will need good bit time to play with

Wow, thanks so much for doing that bit of research. For this instance though I am not allowed to add any plug ins to the college moodle (the college being the one where I'm studying, I teach in a different college). I will definitely try out all your suggestions in my own time though as I think assessing students in crossword form would be a bit more fun and less likely to cause anxiety for them rather than the conventional exam paper.

Once again many thanks - you've been brilliant.

bernieobr wrote: »
    Wow, thanks so much for doing that bit of research. For this instance though I am not allowed to add any plug ins to the college moodle (the college being the one where I'm studying, I teach in a different college). I will definitely try out all your suggestions in my own time though as I think assessing students in crossword form would be a bit more fun and less likely to cause anxiety for them rather than the conventional exam paper.

Once again many thanks - you've been brilliant.
    Ye, admin rights needed for installs. If its not installed, you might ask for admin rights(unlikely you'll get) or ask your(college) IT to install it for you. Also, whoever managing Moodle server might give you advice/assistance to create/edit/manage your courses.

I believe, once you get grip how it works it should be easy enough. Possibly fun.

Learn, practice, learn more, practice again.

Good luck

Other thing you might like to research is, how to export/import courses.

If you have resources(computer) to install your own Moodle server, where you would be administrator with full control, you could create your courses offline, and once you edited them to standard you happy with, you can export them and then import to "live" server(college Moodle server admin would do this for you).

Export sample

Import sample

Advertisement