Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some performance winter cycling clothing

Options
  • 12-11-2018 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

Road bike but planning a decent bit of off road too - canals, mountain gravel roads and single track / dirt trails

I rarely go out if its likely to rain

From hiking and running my experience is breathability and wind proof is best. Water proof less good with exertion.

I've thus far gotten by with layering. Bib shorts, with a long sleeve highly breathable and wicking base layer, cycling jersey and arm warmers, and a breathable running long sleeve top that is wind and water resistant for descents / just in case

Basically now would like people's recommendations for:-

1. bib tights / off road trousers with padding / wind proofing
    2. some kind of soft shell type jacket that's breathable and windproof
    3. no harm in getting another good base layer (tried aldi merino but couldn't bear the itch so maybe a synthetic)

don't mind paying for something that does the job right!

All thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a148pro wrote: »
    ...All thoughts appreciated
    You're over thinking it - just get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

You're over thinking it - just get out there.

Maybe but good gear makes a big difference to your enjoyment and wanting to get out there again. I've gotten cold and wet on a road bike before in Winter a long way from home and it was not pleasant. Hoping to go a lot further from home now.

Hate buying stuff and finding it doesn't work and love buying stuff that does work - just hoping to borrow from other people's experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Galibier Mistral Bib Tights and Galibier Mistral Jacket - I have the standard, and "Lite", and will probably get the "Pro" at some point. Irish made, good returns/ customer service. Not softshell, but I've been happy with the breathability of the jackets.

I just use aldi or lidl normal base layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

My usual recommendation is to join a club and buy their gear. It's generally top quality, tried and tested, and even discounted.

Advertisement