Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Cycle Review

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

How does PureClareGold know the numbers of teachers in the schools involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Only 5 subjects? So that’s English, Irish, Maths, foreign language for most and one other subject! Disaster in my opinion

Irish should be put on the chopping block if this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Only 5 subjects? So that’s English, Irish, Maths, foreign language for most and one other subject! Disaster in my opinion

5 subjects for what? Is that the new senior cycle plan? Any link or further information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, I wouldn't think foreign language would end up being in the mix. If a 5 subject LC came in I'd imagine it would be similar to A Levels.... given that we copy so much of the UK education system. Students would be free to choose a foreign language but I doubt it could be made a requirement with a reduction in subjects. Colleges would have to get on board with this and drop the foreign language entry requirement which is daft anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You'd imagine we may get some mandatory subjects made optional. Move to something between current LC and A Levels in UK. I think there's a general view held by many people that the number of LC subjects at present is excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Copy Britain? The very thought of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Amirani wrote: »
    You'd imagine we may get some mandatory subjects made optional. Move to something between current LC and A Levels in UK. I think there's a general view held by many people that the number of LC subjects at present is excessive.

is it though? most students do 7 as far as i know a small amount 8 and minimal do more.
    7 is a nice round number imo
    A lot about a little at that age is not the perferred option (again imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

Here's an opportunity to get on the board of the NCCA. https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2018-press-releases/PR2018-11-13a.html
    Might be another way to get our opinions across

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Here's an opportunity to get on the board of the NCCA. https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2018-press-releases/PR2018-11-13a.html
    Might be another way to get our opinions across

Because they have really taken on board teachers issues with the Junior Cycle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭2011abc

Bloody heck ! IBEC get one seat on NCCA and ASTI only get two ?! No wonder they make a ***** of it all .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

I think that sums up PureClareGolds feeling on matters
    Junior Cycle - AWESOME
    Senior Cycle review - AWESOME

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Education matters

Links to all the presentations gone up on NCCA website. Some interesting thoughts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

It would take about 3 hours to get through all of the presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Education matters

It would take about 3 hours to get through all of the presentations.

It would and I agree, no need anyway. The thoughts and observations are basically this...
    JC is great, in fact students thought it was great, parents thought it was great and everyone there thought it was great. The odd thing about this though is that only 5th/4thyears have completed JC English. What will parents feel like when they have to do 10 CBAs per annum, they’re already reeking havoc with English, Science and Business?
    There is too much pressure on LC students but CBAs at JC bring their own pressures and I think everyone is ignoring this. This pressure is both for students and teachers by the way.
    The disparity between common levels and HL LC was also highlighted so one wonders how can this be reconciled, dumbing down? The idea of second components which are already integral to a number of subjects at LC is seen as a major positive.
    I wonder what the future holds for me as a teacher? The second phase has begun and research papers on LCA and TY have been published, I think despite the best efforts of teachers who attended their voice will be lost in all of this again and we will find ourselves living through the entire JC debacle once more.

Advertisement