Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent costs breaking records

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

hey, when a landlord puts two beds in a cupboard and charges through the nose for it - blame supply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The first time I was paying rent in Sligo, I was so shocked at how much it was that I fell over a pile of my vinyl albums and broke them. :):D:pac:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

You have absolutely no clue what a pyramid scheme is do you? :D:D

Oh yes I do. Another term might be "the greater fool"

You see, when I buy something that is outrageously overpriced, my only hope of getting out of that situation is to find a greater fool to sell it on to.

That's the irish property market. A whole load of people who got duped into over-paying for some bricks and mortar, waiting around forever until the time is right to pass it onto another desperate fool.

Its a pyramid scheme to me. And I couldn't give a fig about "open market", if some shmuck pays 10 thousand euro for a mars bar, that's not open market, that's a poor shmuck taken for a ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I think there is a big problem is that the majority of jobs are based in and around Dublin.

This is forcing more and more people that would love to live down the country to work in Dublin.

There needs to be proper decentralization. And better infrastructure stood up in the rest of the country, so more people can choose to work elsewhere.

Even rollout of better networks in rural areas would give people better options of being able to work remotely.

Also I think there is a cartel of property owning nama driven organizations that own a lot of the rental accommodation around Dublin which are pushing up the rents in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

beauf wrote: »
    This issue is not about landlords.

Its supply.

If you want to push rents down you need over supply.

Someone still has to choose to charge more than they actually need to in order to get by, and regardless of the market, that individual is still a scumbag. Profiteering off basic needs is scummy. Profiteering from discretionary spending is one thing, which is why you won't find many people calling for policy changes when TV companies, phone companies, restaurants etc jack their prices up. When the costs of electricity, gas, water or housing go up, people get rightly angry that a basic need is being exploited to maximise a profit, rather than having a system in which these needs are delivered at the absolute bare minimum of cost to the end user.

The outcry against high rents is no different to the outcry against water charges while it was obvious that Irish Water was splashing cash around left and right. Many people do not believe that basic needs such as housing should cost a cent more than is necessary to provide them. Very few landlords have been forced to increase their rents due to rising costs etc - many are simply doing so because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Terrlock wrote: »
    I think there is a big problem is that the majority of jobs are based in and around Dublin.

This is forcing more and more people that would love to live down the country to work in Dublin.

There needs to be proper decentralization. And better infrastructure stood up in the rest of the country, so more people can choose to work elsewhere.

Even rollout of better networks in rural areas would give people better options of being able to work remotely.

Also I think there is a cartel of property owning nama driven organizations that own a lot of the rental accommodation around Dublin which are pushing up the rents in Ireland.

Decentralisation is a big issue, no doubt. But when you have the proposed extra million people moving into the country, as per the government 2040 plan.....where does that leave anything?

Like whats the point of doing anything with those kinds of stated agendas?

Its a nuthouse, like watching a 5 year old try to fly a space shuttle. Bizarre to witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Rory28 wrote: »
    They are an easy target to point at and say "Thats the bad guy". But we are both being shafted by the current system.

A system we created. So we are shafting each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Landlords complaining about renters struggling to pay the rent ... well, yes, because rent relative to income is rising. When rent takes a bigger chunk of your income, you are more likely to struggle, and be less able to save for a deposit.

Which is getting even more impossible because of the increase in house prices - again - relative to income. Banks will lend you about 3.5x your annual income, but e.g. when a property is 6x your income, that means you would have to raise 2.5x your income as a deposit (ballpark figures).

Whenever you hear people talking about how they were able to afford houses "back in the day", try asking what the mortgage/income ratio was at time of purchase, and how many years salary the deposit was. Very different numbers. This article described the situation in 2017, and it's only gotten worse since then. The DAFT report doesn't say anything about incomes.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

mammajamma wrote: »

There are those that got in before the pyramid scheme, and those after.

Theres the guy that was a landlord before an artisan dwelling in oxmantown road, 2 bed, cost 490'000 euro. Theyre singing in the rain, only the rain is money, hand over fist.

Honestly, out of those 3 categories, and from personal lived experience, the pre-pyramid schemers probably form the vast majority. So I don't think its the worst categorisation in the world when it is said taht "landlords are robbing us blind" generally, because generally, I think MOST of them are robbing us blind!
    Explain to us how much money the landlord is making here that you are saying they are making money hand over fist?
    Do any of the landlords in the accomodation forum post about having problems sleeping at night? i think i definitely would.

I sleep fine. Do shop keepers stay awake because they know people are hungry? I provide a service and people pay for it what is to make me sleepless?
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Grand but we have landlords on here calling for even higher rent despite record breaking rents. You really expect sympathy from tenants who pay a substantially proportion of their wage towards rent?

Many are right to as the RPZ penalised those who didn't keep their rent high. Do you think a landlord is bothered by a tenant's situation when they pay most of the rent in taxes. There are landlords getting less now than when the rent was lower. The only way to fix that from their point of view is higher rents. The tax could be reduced but they can't control that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Moonjet wrote: »
    The chance of property prices crashing in the short to medium term is slim to none. Definitely nowhere near 100%.
    Could you explain the circumstances or series of events that is going to occur in order for you to state with 100% certainty there will be another property crash? (Apart from 'it happened before')

A crash is guaranteed in the next 10 years. Just as there will be another boom after this current boom and after the next crash. Let’s face it rents can’t go up forever, just as house prices can’t either. Otherwise a 3 bed semi in cabra would eventually be worth a million. The wheels have to come off at some stage. No guarantee a crash will happen soon but it will happen.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Explain to us how much money the landlord is making here that you are saying they are making money hand over fist?

I sleep fine. Do shop keepers stay awake because they know people are hungry? I provide a service and people pay for it what is to make me sleepless?

Many are right to as the RPZ penalised those who didn't keep their rent high. Do you think a landlord is bothered by a tenant's situation when they pay most of the rent in taxes. There are landlords getting less now than when the rent was lower. The only way to fix that from their point of view is higher rents. The tax could be reduced but they can't control that

glad you sleep fine, the less people who suffer the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

KevinCavan wrote: »
    A crash is guaranteed in the next 10 years. Just as there will be another boom after this current boom and after the next crash. Let’s face it rents can’t go up forever, just as house prices can’t either. Otherwise a 3 bed semi in cabra would eventually be worth a million. The wheels have to come off at some stage. No guarantee a crash will happen soon but it will happen.

Booms and bust are not that predictable. Bear in mind the house prices came back and didn't go down as much as people predicted. Name the property bust in Ireland before 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I would just add: if any landlords reading this think that it's safe to hold on to a property until the "top of the market" ... that is not how bubbles work. By the time you get a clear "sell" signal, it will be too late, you won't be the only one, and there will suddenly be far more sellers than buyers. There are institutional buyers just waiting for the pop, and they won't rush in to the market just to bail you out. They can wait until the bottom of the market or thereabouts ... :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

cordy1969 wrote: »
    Its like that because of the government restrictions. Maybe if people lobbied the government to change the ridiculous laws like rent capping, time it takes to evict non paying tenants etc etc.
    Imagine owning an asset and being told who you can and can't rent it to, or being told what you can and can't charge. Then at the end of it having to provide accommodation free of charge for 2 years it takes to evict a non paying tenant.
    Yes being a LL is so easy its like having a money printing machine.

Seriously though it does make you wonder how much trouble the country is going to be in the future with attitudes like above.

The older people posters have referred to as having it easy. Those "older people" you make reference to got a mortgage and payed it off when interest rates were in excess of 10%. Current interest rates are on average 3 to 4%. Yes the younger generation has it sooooo tough.

My parents would be considered the older people youre referring too, my dad left school at 12 and had no problem finding work at any stage of his life, my mam has a leaving cert, she got a job straight out of school which she's been working in for 30 + years. The job she's in now requires atleast a level 6 qualification. Young people cant get their foot in the door anywhere these days with out further qualifications beyond leaving cert and even then finding a stable job with a livable income is near impossible for most young people starting out.

When my parents bought their first home my dad was a low waged factory worker and my mam was earning less than my dad. My dad drank and gambled 4 nights a week and my mam was a chain smoker yet they managed to buy a house, a car, a motorbike and have two kids all before the age of 30.

They decided to move in the 90's, sold their old house and bought a new, much bigger house and a new car all with their low wage jobs. Before the age of 35 my working class parents had already bought 2 houses and 2 cars while rearing 2 kids. That would never happen now.
    Today highly educated 35 year olds are living with their parents or getting themselves into serious debt just trying to keep a roof over their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

My parents would be considered the older people youre referring too, my dad left school at 12 and had no problem finding work at any stage of his life, my mam has a leaving cert, she got a job straight out of school which she's been working in for 30 + years. The job she's in now requires atleast a level 6 qualification. Young people cant get their foot in the door anywhere these days with out further qualifications beyond leaving cert and even then finding a stable job with a livable income is near impossible for most young people starting out.

When my parents bought their first home my dad was a low waged factory worker and my mam was earning less than my dad. My dad drank and gambled 4 nights a week and my mam was a chain smoker yet they managed to buy a house, a car, a motorbike and have two kids all before the age of 30.

They decided to move in the 90's, sold their old house and bought a new, much bigger house and a new car all with their low wage jobs. Before the age of 35 my working class parents had already bought 2 houses and 2 cars while rearing 2 kids. That would never happen now.
    Today highly educated 35 year olds are living with their parents or getting themselves into serious debt just trying to keep a roof over their heads.
    things have changed a lot and a 2 income family (particularly with kids) would have been somewhat unusual in the 80s, less so in the 90s. There's no doubt that coming out of the 80s into the 90's and 00's things were a whole lot better - Ireland was moving along and things were changing into a developed economy.
    At the same time - no one will now employ a 13 year old and they can't leave school at that age - and rightly so. SOME things have improved for the younger folks in that regard.

Blackjack wrote: »
    things have changed a lot and a 2 income family (particularly with kids) would have been somewhat unusual in the 80s, less so in the 90s. There's no doubt that coming out of the 80s into the 90's and 00's things were a whole lot better - Ireland was moving along and things were changing into a developed economy.
    At the same time - no one will now employ a 13 year old and they can't leave school at that age - and rightly so. SOME things have improved for the younger folks in that regard.

Im not suggesting that child labor is a positive thing in any regard, my point is, the younger generation have very few prospects in terms of owning a home and having a livable wage and that's horrendous, theyre basic human rights.

Im not suggesting that child labor is a positive thing in any regard, my point is, the younger generation have very few prospects in terms of owning a home and having a livable wage and that's horrendous, theyre basic human rights.

'owning' a home is not a basic human right, having a roof over your head yes.
    i doubt i will ever own a home and the notion that i'm entitled to one is a bit much.

'owning' a home is not a basic human right, having a roof over your head yes.

It is a human right, keeping people in a rent trap is horrific.

I know ill never own a home, im a teacher and all my wages go on rent, im working to literally just keep a roof over my head. The uncertainty, lack of security and stress that causes on a daily basis is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

It’s not a human right sorry to break it to you.

No one owes you a home.

• Advertisement

No doubt some things have become more competitive. There’s a lot of reasons for that - most of them are good reasons. No sure that owning a home is a human right though. You’ve a right to own one, certainly, but I’d be mindful of what is being suggested as The right to own your own home doesn’t necessarily mean you can own one in your preferred location.
    In my own case, I’d love to own a home in a particular part of the country that’s a 4 hour drive from my job. And indeed, I could have a fine house there. The 2 things are not compatible, so I have to cut my cloth accordingly, and live somewhere closer to my job, or change jobs.

There’s a lot the younger generation have that’s tougher but also recall periods in the 80s when it was almost a certainty that the older brothers and sisters of the kids I grew up with would have to emigrate. There were larger families in smaller houses and that’s how things went.

It’s swings and roundabouts in fairness - it’s no bed of roses now, it never has been a bed of roses for any generation, though by the sounds of it your parents landed on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Loveache

I'm looking at the moment, strong necessity for my own place, not a house share. (And have been forced into my parents' in the meantime). It is devastating. Obviously not everyone is going to be able to afford luxury apartments and the best areas at any time, but it's that now the barest minimum, filthy, substandard, barely liveable dogboxes with furniture that came out of a skip, are now priced at borderline premium prices. You're not going to get a studio- a tiny studio! for less than 850, realistically a chunk more. And that'll be in the 'child's bed beside a broken cooker' variety of studio in the dodgy areas of town.

Once upon a time I thought renting very much had its place. Decent deal for both parties if it's fair. Get better if you pay more and so on. Now with the greed and ****holes and extortion and yet more greed I've witnessed in the last few months, I would nearly happily lock the scumbag landlords into their own kips and burn them down. They aren't human at this stage, they are a pestilence killing all of us, one that needs wiped out.

Blackjack wrote: »
    No doubt some things have become more competitive. There’s a lot of reasons for that - most of them are good reasons. No sure that owning a home is a human right though. You’ve a right to own one, certainly, but I’d be mindful of what is being suggested as The right to own your own home doesn’t necessarily mean you can own one in your preferred location.
    In my own case, I’d love to own a home in a particular part of the country that’s a 4 hour drive from my job. And indeed, I could have a fine house there. The 2 things are not compatible, so I have to cut my cloth accordingly, and live somewhere closer to my job, or change jobs.

There’s a lot the younger generation have that’s tougher but also recall periods in the 80s when it was almost a certainty that the older brothers and sisters of the kids I grew up with would have to emigrate. There were larger families in smaller houses and that’s how things went.

It’s swings and roundabouts in fairness - it’s no bed of roses now, it never has been a bed of roses for any generation, though by the sounds of it your parents landed on their feet.

Absolutly, id love to be able to afford to rent in Dublin but unfortunately I have to rent an hour and half a way and commute to work, I dont mind the commute, I just wish my rent was affordable, its frustrating working hard everyday and handing over the majority of my wages every month to a landlord, ive just about enough to pay for transport and a bit of food at the end of the week, I havnt had a night out in months, ive had one planned for this month but im really not sure ill be able to afford it so may have to cancel. I know my parents in the 80's and 90's with their house, car, 2 kids paying childcare on minimum wage jobs didnt have to save up 2 months in advance for a night out with their friends.

Maybe youve been hiding under a rock but it's pretty much general knowledge at this stage that the vast majority of today's young people have and do emigrate for work and a better way of life. Theres a GAA team in Dubai as theres so many Irish teachers over there. Half my friends emigrated during the recession, my friends a nurse and is emigrating in 3 months simply because she works 12 hour shifts and lives on bowls of cereal and toast as its all she can afford to buy after rent and bills are paid.

Things were tough in the 80's for sure but atleast people could afford basic things like a home, a car and were able to live with some sort of security. That is a pipe dream for most young people these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

I know ill never own a home, im a teacher and all my wages go on rent, im working to literally just keep a roof over my head. The uncertainty, lack of security and stress that causes on a daily basis is a nightmare.

Are you a full time teacher, and if so must be one hell of a rental if all wages go on rent.

Are you a full time teacher, and if so must be one hell of a rental if all wages go on rent.

and most people with mortgages are working to pay off the mortgage. my Dad still is. that's life

sorry, that was meant to be a reply to the post you're replying to.

Im a sub and I didnt say all I said majority, the rest goes on bills and transport, public transport is also extortionate but that's for another thread.

• Advertisement

Absolutly, id love to be able to afford to rent in Dublin but unfortunately I have to rent an hour and half a way and commute to work, I dont mind the commute, I just wish my rent was affordable, its frustrating working hard everyday and handing over the majority of my wages every month to a landlord, ive just about enough to pay for transport and a bit of food at the end of the week, I havnt had a night out in months, ive had one planned for this month but im really not sure ill be able to afford it so may have to cancel. I know my parents in the 80's and 90's with their house, car, 2 kids paying childcare on minimum wage jobs didnt have to save up 2 months in advance for a night out with their friends.

Maybe youve been hiding under a rock but it's pretty much general knowledge at this stage that the vast majority of today's young people have and do emigrate for work and a better way of life. Theres a GAA team in Dubai as theres so many Irish teachers over there. Half my friends emigrated during the recession, my friends a nurse and is emigrating in 3 months simply because she works 12 hour shifts and lives on bowls of cereal and toast as its all she can afford to buy after rent and bills are paid.

Things were tough in the 80's for sure but atleast people could afford basic things like a home, a car and were able to live with some sort of security. That is a pipe dream for most young people these days.

Anybody caught in the “rental trap,” has to move abroad for a few years to break the cycle. By moving abroad they can save for a house in Ireland and hopefully by the time they get back houses will have dropped in value.

Im a sub and I didnt say all I said majority, the rest goes on bills and transport, public transport is also extortionate but that's for another thread.

Sorry to burst your bubble and I quote

"I know ill never own a home, im a teacher and all my wages go on rent, im working to literally just keep a roof over my head. The uncertainty, lack of security and stress that causes on a daily basis is a nightmare."

So yes you did say all my wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I think the big problem is those that are in power are not having the experiences of the masses. They have the fiscal resources to either own a house in Dublin or rent somewhere convenient to work. I think those in power have no idea what life is like for the majority of the working class.
    To some extent it suits certain groups to have an excess of demand over supply. That may explain a slowness in increasing the housing stock. There are people getting wealthy over the misery being caused to thousands of people forced to commute 60-120 minutes to work each day. This is wrong on every level imaginable.
    The local authorities in the 40's and 70's showed they were well able to build huge estates as a booming population required housing. The state then went and virtually privatised the provision of housing leaving the way open for rampant speculation and dubious planning decisions.
    Ultimately it is the ordinary Joe soap who bears the brunt of bad planning and a poor balance between supply and demand.

and most people with mortgages are working to pay off the mortgage. my Dad still is. that's life

sorry, that was meant to be a reply to the post you're replying to.

Yes but its security and atleast your dad knows that no one is going to show up and force him to move out because they want to sell the house he calls home, no one is going to increase his mortgage payments and at the end of it, he'll own his house, as he paid for it over years through paying his mortgage, its an investment for himself and his old age. The current rent trap prevents young people from being able to save and potentially be afforded the same security your father has. Its not the same thing at all.

Sorry to burst your bubble and I quote

"I know ill never own a home, im a teacher and all my wages go on rent, im working to literally just keep a roof over my head. The uncertainty, lack of security and stress that causes on a daily basis is a nightmare."

So yes you did say all my wages.

If you all can contribute to this discussion is pedantic and nit picky remarks I can only assume youre a landlord yourself.

• Advertisement

Yes but its security and atleast your dad knows that no one is going to show up and force him to move out because they want to sell the house he calls home, no one is going to increase his mortgage payments and at the end of it, he'll own his house, as he paid for it over years through paying his mortgage, its an investment for himself and his old age. The current rent trap prevents young people from being able to save and potentially be afforded the same security your father has. Its not the same thing at all.

i'm following your general point but he's far from secure.

I’ve not been hiding under any rocks I can certainly assure you. Perhaps if you lost that type of attitude you are showing towards people you might have a little more of what you want out of life. There’s a huge difference between having to emigrate to simply get a job, and doing so because you don’t like the lifestyle your current job affords you. People do it now and largely get the option to return if it doesn’t work out. For previous generations emigration meant seeing your family maybe once every few years at best, or in many cases, never again. There’s been GAA teams all over the world for years, did you think it was just your generation that founded them?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

We rented in drumcondra back in 2012 - 2014 and the rent was 1150eu a month for both years for a 3 bed semi d. Rents there are now around 2500 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You're a teacher and renting 90 minutes away from Dublin and you can't afford a night out??

Have you a crack addiction you're not declaring?

Any teachers I know working in places like Dubai are there because they couldn't get jobs here in 2010/11/12.

Try living in Dubai if you think the cost of living is high here.

It sounds like you've zero handle of your finances. Your parents had a handle of theirs. That's the difference. Not the decade.

If you all can contribute to this discussion is pedantic and nit picky remarks I can only assume youre a landlord yourself.

I was correcting someone who is supposed to be an educator. And as you think it's a human right to own house I'm very confused as to why or how one would be entitled to such a thing as a sub/temp worker?

And yes I am a landlord but in another country where rents are much more affordable to the tenant and where I can evict a non paying tenant within 90 days. A country that ensures as a LL my rights of being the owner are not out weighed by that of the tenant.

1 in 7 who emigrated during the recession were unemployed.

Most went for the adventure and to travel Asia oz and nz.

Don’t be comparing it to the 80s when people literally had no choice but to emigrate and it wasn’t for the fun.

I'll just leave this here, it's a video that I think a lot of the posters from here might need to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

I'll just leave this here, it's a video that I think a lot of the posters from here might need to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU

So millennial are snowflakes, narcissistic, entitled and that's the reason for today's problem. Certainty a fine grained psychological analysis that might win a Nobel prize.

Debtocracy wrote: »
    So millennial are snowflakes, narcissistic, entitled and that's the reason for today's problem. Certainty a fine grained psychological analysis that might win a Nobel prize.

Most of it makes sense.

Debtocracy wrote: »

To be fair people who bought before the bubble burst last time could get 100% mortgages, with no savings. The argument that young people today can’t afford houses or deposits for houses, due to an addiction to avocado on toast, is getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

Its pretty funny. Old people are lashing out at young people. The same generation with the lowest cost of living in the past 80 years are calling overworked millenials entitled.

I think its pure projection: Being in your 40s and 50s must instinctually make you insecure. Knowing your life is over in 10 years if not sooner.

Doesnt matter how much statistics and data you present. Crusty old men will always complain about ‘kids these days’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Booms and bust are not that predictable. Bear in mind the house prices came back and didn't go down as much as people predicted. Name the property bust in Ireland before 2007

Booms and busts are very predictable. Anyone who can spot trends can see where roughly the market is going to go, at the minute a bust in the next 6-12 months is not that unlikely. Markets are showing major signs, stocks are very volatile, tech stocks are crazy volatile at the minute. Central banks and private investors are buying up gold in rates not seen for years. Businesses are starting to feel a pinch. They all really point to the one thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No one owes you a home.

You guys are too stupid to realise that when home ownership goes below 50% there will be a massive political reaction. If a minority own their home property taxes become more acceptable, rent control is certain to be universal , more control over landlords inevitable.

How does a fact - that rents are increasing far beyond wage increases - a fact that affects tax payers and most often higher level taxpayers too (since lower level earners probably stay at home or out of Dublin) always degrade to quarterwits ranting about “entitlement”?

The people affected by rent increases are the ones shouldering the state. Paying for everything. Including the pensioner classes who are not finished looting the place yet but are buying up as many properties as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

At least that 4% increase ceiling is working out well.....:pac:

Its pretty funny. Old people are lashing out at young people. The same generation with the lowest cost of living in the past 80 years are calling overworked millenials entitled.

I think its pure projection: Being in your 40s and 50s must instinctually make you insecure. Knowing your life is over in 10 years if not sooner.

Doesnt matter how much statistics and data you present. Crusty old men will always complain about ‘kids these days’

To be fair to 40 year olds, since the average age of house buying is mid 30s they are often victims too. Or were a few years ago.

It depends though. There’s often the guy who bought in his twenties (impossible now) and didn’t get nuttin from de state (except free education or training past third level) and de kids are entitled dese days.

limnam wrote: »
    At least that 4% increase ceiling is working out well.....:pac:

Might be. Rents in limerick (not controlled) shot up higher.

Booms and busts are very predictable. Anyone who can spot trends can see where roughly the market is going to go, at the minute a bust in the next 6-12 months is not that unlikely. Markets are showing major signs, stocks are very volatile, tech stocks are crazy volatile at the minute. Central banks and private investors are buying up gold in rates not seen for years. Businesses are starting to feel a pinch. They all really point to the one thing.....

If only you were working for Lehmans in 2008. Saved a whole lot of bother that would.

But we live in a democracy. If the majority of the people decide that that shouldn't be "life", then we have the right to change that through government policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

To be fair to 40 year olds, since the average age of house buying is mid 30s they are often victims too. Or were a few years ago.

It depends though. There’s often the guy who bought in his twenties (impossible now) and didn’t get nuttin from de state (except free education or training past third level) and de kids are entitled dese days.

We don't all think like that. 41 yr old here, bought a house at 25, had a 6 yr old and we both were in crap jobs. We were lucky, very very lucky, to buy when we did. I wouldn't call anyone entitled for wanting a home. Right now I'm facing the future being my kids living at home until they are at least 30. That's not good for anyone.

• Advertisement

No one owes you a home.

If a majority of the people decide that it should be a human right and vote accordingly, then by definition it becomes one.

Democracy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement