Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i close my Scotiabank account now that i’m home?

• 12-11-2018 12:49pm

So, I went to Canada in 2014 for seven months on a work visa. Came home, been here since.

I retained my Scotiabank account, in the hopes that I’d either spend a lot of time holidaying, doing a lot of business, or eventually moving back. The bank is fully aware of my change of address and are fine with it. Currently it looks like I spend a week yearly in some part of the country (currently planning a Newfoundland trip in June) but the option of doing more (business/moving back) are possibilities in the next 5 years.

On the account is a current ac costing $3.95 a month, and a credit card with $1000 dollar limit. I use CurrencyFair to transfer over a few quid a month to cover the costs.

Should I close the account? Is there a benefit to having access to a foreign currency card, or does the PostFX Credit card from An Post, or using your own (Bank of Ireland) bank card at an ATM abroad, do a better job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

One should keep their savings in the currency that they will spend their savings. If most of your spending is in EUR then your savings should be in EUR. Not CAD.

PostFX is expensive, very high FX rates. Bank of Ireland is expensive. Use Revolut.

Advertisement