Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with squeaking V brakes on hybrid

Options
  • 12-11-2018 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

After cleaning my hybrid bike, I sprayed some Muc-Off Protect & Shine onto frame and other metal parts. Some of the spray must have inadvertently got onto the braking surface of the rims thereby causing this issue.

What is the best way to clean off any residue from the braking surface of the rims? Unfortunately, I do not have any isopropyl alcohol - are there any alternatives? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hot sudsy water and a bit of elbow grease would be enough I should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

ED E wrote: »
    Hot sudsy water and a bit of elbow grease would be enough I should think.

Thanks ED, tried this today hopefully it works, too wet to go for a cycle to test. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

If you can toe in the pads a bit, that can help reduce squeal. Lightly scratch the brake pads with sandpaper, that can help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

If you can toe in the pads a bit, that can help reduce squeal. Lightly scratch the brake pads with sandpaper, that can help too.

Thanks for that - I toed-in the brake pads when I fitted them and squeaking only became a problem after the last cleaning when I sprayed some Muc-Off onto the frame and metal parts, so likely that some spray got onto the rims.

I gave the rims a thorough cleaning as suggested by ED E and will have an opportunity to test it out today or tomorrow. Thanks again.

I’d recommend giving the pads a quick rub with fine sand paper as you’ve probably got degreaser on the pads as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement