Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay....come on Bank Of Ireland, get a grip

Options
  • 12-11-2018 3:39pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How much longer are we going to have to wait to get this pretty simple to implement piece of technology?

I'm sick of having to use a work around.

I'd have left BOI a long time ago only for i have a business account with you...hurry up! 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi eeloe,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We currently do not have Apple Pay. If this changes we will update this on our website.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Hi eeloe,

We currently do not have Apple Pay. If this changes we will update this on our website.

Thanks,

Lorna
    Really? you don't have apple pay? i thought you did...that's why i came here complaining that you don't have it! 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

eeloe wrote: »
    Hi eeloe,

Thanks,

Lorna
    Really? you don't have apple pay? i thought you did...that's why i came here complaining that you don't have it! 

Sorry that you're unhappy with the reply eeloe, please be assured that all the feedback we receive here is passed on. Also if there is any update on any payment system like this we'll let our customers know not only through the website but also through our social media channels.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

eeloe wrote:
    How much longer are we going to have to wait to get this pretty simple to implement piece of technology?

What makes you think it's a pretty simple to implement piece of technology?

Originally posted by eeloe

What makes you think it's a pretty simple to implement piece of technology?
    It's a couple of days worth of coding i'd imagine at a push, everything else is in place for contactless, this is just a case of writing in the code for NFC for Apple Pay and Android Pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

eeloe wrote: »
    It's a couple of days worth of coding i'd imagine at a push, everything else is in place for contactless, this is just a case of writing in the code for NFC for Apple Pay and Android Pay.

I have tried to get info on this from Bank of Ireland branches ,some of the staff didn’t know what I was talking about. You can’t talk to anyone about technical stuff , there in underground caves somewhere
    AIB and Ulster have had Apple Pay for the last 3 or 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

If you want a digital wallet and a progressive bank just move. I moved to KBC and haven't looked back. BOI has been around for a long time and hates change. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

BOI is bringing in the same technology as KBC, if you hold on a while

Ally Dick wrote: »
    They've not said when, they've just been saying it's coming soon, for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

You'd be dead if you held your breath this long. I moved to KBC and AIB (always have 2 accounts for when one has a technical issue) and would not go back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 finzaz

This page is currently the top result on Google for a search for 'bank of ireland apple pay', so I'll vent here if that's ok.

It's really disappointing that BOI refuse to prioritise implementing ApplePay. I know it's not 'a couple of days of coding' and requires some serious work, but it's got to a point now where other banks are leagues ahead with their digital offerings and BOI customers are left wondering what they're paying for.

I've already moved my savings over to AIB, and their internet banking alone looks more modern than the clunky BOI service.

For example, last year I needed to view my sent items in secure messages and it wouldn't work. I was told I have to click the button once, wait 20 seconds then it works. They think that's acceptable. I may as well have been told to click a button then put the kettle on.

I swear BOI's IT department must either be completely overstretched and under-resourced, or recruited straight from montessori.

In spite of how obviously customers want ApplePay (and Android Pay),  BOI continue to say they have no plans to offer it at the moment. I wonder how much longer customers are going to put up this this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

BOI has always hated change. The current corporate structure is playing the age card and if it is not broken dont fix it.  They know they have a large loyal customer base who are only interested in the wallet in their pocket. 
    Why do you think BOI have one of the highest variables mortgage interest rates in the country, because they have been around  for a long time and the model has always worked for them. 
    The solution is simple and the easiest thing in the world to do.
    Switch bank. Forget the banks switching process as it's a disaster if you have direct debits. Open an new account keeping BOI open and slowly switch over everything. 
    It's not until the fossils at the top see their customer base fall will any change happen with BOI. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Googled this also and top result here.. Received my new Debit card and was hoping i could set it up but NO :( Must have a timeframe at least! 

Googled this also and top result here.. Received my new Debit card and was hoping i could set it up but NO :( Must have a timeframe at least! 
    People have been asking for years here. No is the short answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gavinphelan12

I've been hiding email addresses for BOI In relation to Android pay for a couple of years now and keep getting the same response as the first post here

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gr1980

The situation is frustrating but I don't think Apple Pay / Google Pay will ever come to BOI.  For me itwould be a huge pain getting everything moved over to another bank so I will stick with BOI for the time being.  I'm not a happy customer so, if you really do pass on feedback to whoever, you can pass that on, not that it will make a pick of difference to anything.  

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

gr1980 wrote: »
    The situation is frustrating but I don't think Apple Pay / Google Pay will ever come to BOI.  For me itwould be a huge pain getting everything moved over to another bank so I will stick with BOI for the time being.  I'm not a happy customer so, if you really do pass on feedback to whoever, you can pass that on, not that it will make a pick of difference to anything.  
    I'd say it's on its way alright

Based on what? There is no plans to do it atm.

In a related but unrelated note about how other banks are better. My KBC phone app updated today with a new feature that lets me check my BOI account balances. Seriously think about that. KBC enable BOI users to use their app to for basic banking, but who knows where they might go with that! Fingerprint login for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

Reati wrote: »
    In a related but unrelated note about how other banks are better. My KBC phone app updated today with a new feature that lets me check my BOI account balances. Seriously think about that. KBC enable BOI users to use their app to for basic banking, but who knows where they might go with that! Fingerprint login for the win.

Does the KBC app so a better job at displaying accurate Bank of Ireland Balances? I am not trying to take the mick. Banking 365 uses a separate database from the bank's core systems, which is one of the reasons the balances are all over the place. The ability to view other banks balances is driven by PSD2. It would be interesting to see if BOIs implementation is just another layer stuck on top their existing legacy stack or does it integrate at a lower level.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    Does the KBC app so a better job at displaying accurate Bank of Ireland Balances? I am not trying to take the mick. Banking 365 uses a separate database from the bank's core systems, which is one of the reasons the balances are all over the place. The ability to view other banks balances is driven by PSD2. It would be interesting to see if BOIs implementation is just another layer stuck on top their existing legacy stack or does it integrate at a lower level.

Its pretty basic. You add the account numbers and login details and it displays them as separate accounts. They have a last updated timestamp but it's does the api call when you login to the app from what I see. You can add AIB accounts too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 gr1980

You've said this before, but the official reps on this very forum say there are no plans - if there were plans surely it would be easier to say something like "yes, it's coming in the second half of 2019" and everyone is happy.  

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You've said this before, but the official reps on this very forum say there are no plans - if there were plans surely it would be easier to say something like "yes, it's coming in the second half of 2019" and everyone is happy.  

It’s fairly well known that BOI are updating their stuff. From LinkedIn, the grapevine etc.

They don’t want to commit to a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

It’s fairly well known that BOI are updating their stuff. From LinkedIn, the grapevine etc.

They don’t want to commit to a date.
    Updating "their stuff" doesn't necessarily mean BOI will be adding Apple/Google Pay though... it could well be that after updating their stuff they will still not be implementing Apple Pay. So BOI don't have to commit to a date, just an acknowledgment that they are planning on implementing Apple Pay after they have "updated their stuff" would be a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Moved from Bank of Ireland a few months ago for this very reason. My turned my local branch into a "self-service" bank, so no customer service desk or cash desks. That's all well and good but then they refuse to upgrade their online backing/mobile banking which is lagging far behind other banks as well as introduce things like Apple pay.  You can't have it both ways.  You either want to have a more traditional back or improve your cashless services.  Currently you get the worst of both worlds.  

Steve F wrote: »

"We expect to integrate phone payments in the future," a spokesman for the bank told Independent.ie.

"However we are not in a position to confirm timings"

So nothing new here!

This article was from April last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I've work colleagues leaving BOI left, right and centre.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Finally, as of tomorrow, my salary will not be going into Bank of Ireland, for the first time in 20 years. The relief I have is fantastic. Moving to a bank that:

- Has physical cashiers
    - Instant contactless withdrawals
    - Fingerprint app!
    - Google Pay
    - Not charging me €40 for having an account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Reati wrote: »
    Steve F wrote: »

"We expect to integrate phone payments in the future," a spokesman for the bank told Independent.ie.

"However we are not in a position to confirm timings"

So nothing new here!
    Agree

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement