Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay....come on Bank Of Ireland, get a grip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gr1980

When people on here say they are leaving Bank of Ireland I suspect that BoI really don't care, which is a disgrace because they should.  Customers are unhappy and they aren't doing anything to try and make them stay.  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

gr1980 wrote: »
    When people on here say they are leaving Bank of Ireland I suspect that BoI really don't care, which is a disgrace because they should.  Customers are unhappy and they aren't doing anything to try and make them stay.  

It’s embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭cmac2009

antodeco wrote: »
    Finally, as of tomorrow, my salary will not be going into Bank of Ireland, for the first time in 20 years. The relief I have is fantastic. Moving to a bank that:

- Has physical cashiers
    - Instant contactless withdrawals
    - Fingerprint app!
    - Google Pay
    - Not charging me €40 for having an account

Who did you move to?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mnolan

I've just switched from BoI to KBC after 30 years. I had some minor glitches, some my own fault, but it's worth it for the Google Pay convenience, being able to use contactless for payments over €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Might as well add my list to the I would move but 

Saving
    Credit Card
    Direct Debt

I say BOI love people like me, too much hassle to move no matter how behind the times or bad the service is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

jeffk wrote: »
    Might as well add my list to the I would move but 

Saving
    Credit Card
    Direct Debt

I say BOI love people like me, too much hassle to move no matter how behind the times or bad the service is
    That’s the problem and I am In same boat ...all my finances are with BOI ... add mortgage to that. Its the only bank in my town so we have a business account as well. Now saying that it’s not much of a bank anymore since they took the cash counter away all we have now is one ATM for lodgements and that is out of order most of the time. Big upheaval for us to change banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Banks now offer switcher services to move all their DDs etc

If people wont move they deserve what they get

lbc2019 wrote: »

Do you know what banks do free transactions etc?~

I know BOI you need to keep 3K but use to that now if thats one condition 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

KBC. You get free banking with their current account extra as long as you lodge > €2500/month. Eg wages. 
    They also have a basic current account that has free banking with a min balance, similar to what you have. 

Their credit card offers a max €10 bonus each month if you use it in the main supermarkets. I use mine for everything and always get €10. I clear the balance each month so wouldn't benefit everyone. 

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 smart watch and using Garmin Pay on it with KBC is so useful

They are a very progressive modern bank and you wont regret it if you choose to move. 

Only thing is they dont have any bank branches as you would know them. They have a limited number of staffed hubs dotted around the country, so you you like a local personal touch then KBC may not be suitable. Something like a cheque can be free posted if required. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

BOI is bringing in the same computer system as KBC

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »

KBC. You get free banking with their current account extra as long as you lodge > €2500/month. Eg wages. 
    They also have a basic current account that has free banking with a min balance, similar to what you have. 

Their credit card offers a max €10 bonus each month if you use it in the main supermarkets. I use mine for everything and always get €10. I clear the balance each month so wouldn't benefit everyone. 

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 smart watch and using Garmin Pay on it with KBC is so useful

They are a very progressive modern bank and you wont regret it if you choose to move. 

Only thing is they dont have any bank branches as you would know them. They have a limited number of staffed hubs dotted around the country, so you you like a local personal touch then KBC may not be suitable. Something like a cheque can be free posted if required. 
    Thanks for all the info, some food for thought

I do all my banking on 365 as so much easier and from looks of my local branch it was staff there cause they had to and then point you towards the phone to do 365 on it 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Time Frame?

Steve F wrote: »
    Time Frame?
    I can't give you one, because I am not working on it myself, but I have a friend who is. He says it will be delivered in the next year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Time Frame?
    I can't give you one, because I am not working on it myself, but I have a friend who is. He says it will be delivered in the next year or two
    Wow... haha... That's a lifetime in tech. They are already years behind other banks and the plan is to deliver it 2 years out, which will slip as all IT projects do? Time to move and join us banking in the present.

Reati wrote: »
    Time Frame?
    Wow... haha... That's a lifetime in tech. They are already years behind other banks and the plan is to deliver it 2 years out, which will slip as all IT projects do? Time to move and join us banking in the present.
    Yes agreed. We'll see where it leads. I'm not moving my accounts just yet. I've been with BOI for 35 years. Happy enough with what I have 

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

I left BOI to kbc on the back of this.....best decision I’ve ever made,......no more extortionate quartetly charges,....was a bit of hassle transferring EVERYTHING but worth it in the end,.....ended up getting a mortgage and credit card off them as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is why I left BOI for N24 
    N24 supports both google and apple pay and as a bonus give me good rates on currency exchange with no charge so I save money every time I buy from an online UK shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

tuxy wrote: »
    This is why I left BOI for N24 
    N24 supports both google and apple pay and as a bonus give me good rates on currency exchange with no charge so I save money every time I buy from an online UK shop!

If you want to praise your new bank, spell their name right ;-)

But yeah moved to N26 myself a while ago and it’s being working well for me.

Honestly, anyone who is unhappy about BOI should just move on rather than hoping for new features to be deployed, it might come one day but you could be waiting for a while (I closed my last account with BOI two years partly due to a lack of Apple Pay but also other limitations, and honestly never looked back - bumped into this thread and feeling sorry for people who are still asking the same question and still getting the same non-answer which was given 2 years ago).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It's just absolute hardship for us to move.

Own accounts
    Joint Account
    credit card....it's a nightmare.

stuck in the BOI Eco system, and paying well for it, but lacking good features.

I feel BOI will turn a corner on this once the new system is in. They can layer the Apple and Android Pay on top, and offer better features

• Advertisement

I feel BOI will turn a corner on this once the new system is in. They can layer the Apple and Android Pay on top, and offer better features

Whenever it comes (could be years) they will catch-up with what they had been missing for a few years compared to other banks.

But the thing is the rest of the industry is not standing still and waiting for BOI to catch-up. So my view is that by the time BOI gets something like Apple Pay they will be other features and services which other banks have implemented in the mean time and for which BOI will need another couple of years to catch-up with.

Well, now you said that I'm convinced that BOI who are years behind and apperantly 2 years from catching up to today will magically become the most technical bank in the market. I moved to AIB and KBC. Best thing I did.

BTW, I've some magic beans if you are interested?

eeloe wrote: »

Own accounts
    Joint Account

Of course it’s your decision, but I would suggest moving one account first to get the ball rolling and you might realise it’s not such a pain to move.

With what you have it might take a few ours of your life alright, but it’s a once off thing and once completed you can save time with better apps/online services/payment methods for years to come, and probably accrue a few hundred euros in savings on fees after a couple of years.

Bob24 wrote: »
    eeloe wrote: »

Own accounts
    Joint Account

Of course it’s your decision, but I would suggest moving one account first to get the ball rolling and you might realise it’s not such a pain to move.

With what you have it might take a few ours of your life alright, but it’s a once off thing and once completed you can save time with better apps/online services/payment methods for years to come, and probably accrue a few hundred euros in savings on fees after a couple of years.
    How I moved was to create my new account and transfer my wages to that via DD, keeping the BOI one. You then only use that new account for stuff watching which DDs come out of the BOI one.

As you see them come out you move then to the new account till no more comes out of the BOI one after a month or so, then you can transfer remaining out and close off the account. 

Well, now you said that I'm convinced that BOI who are years behind and apperantly 2 years from catching up to today will magically become the most technical bank in the market. I moved to AIB and KBC. Best thing I did.

Look it. They're not stupid people. They're going to create a platform for all the developments that their competitors offer. This is a massive project 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

Look it. They're not stupid people. They're going to create a platform for all the developments that their competitors offer. This is a massive project 
    It's only massive as they let themselves get so far behind. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Time Frame?
    Project OMEGA is a little behind schedule? Shocked! Ask your friend how far behind they are...

Time Frame?
    Project OMEGA is a little behind schedule? Shocked! Ask your friend how far behind they are...
    Who says it's behind schedule?

They're changing over from a legacy system that's nearly 50 years old. These things take time. And when it is done, they'll have a world class system to springboard new developments from

• Advertisement

They're changing over from a legacy system that's nearly 50 years old. These things take time. And when it is done, they'll have a world class system to springboard new developments from
    Be honest, do you work on this project? I think you do as the only time I'd see this level of passionate defending of a project. It's hard to see the wood for the trees in these things.

Anyway. Yes, you are right it is a legacy system but it's no one elses fault they are still on it in 2019. That's no defence of it. It's poor future planning.

Of course getting off it will take time but the point you seem to keep missing is that the rest of the popular banking world are already years ahead. You keep saying it will be a springboard for new developments, but as you know that new stuff will take more time. So, it will be next to impossible to catch up without bringing in a ton of devs to complete the move making the entire thing likely more buggy in the process.

Customers don't give a crap about the technical reasons for not having a feature or a date. Devs do.

The way they see it is: AIB / KBC etc etc have these new things shortly after launch. BOI still have a website from the 90's...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement