Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay....come on Bank Of Ireland, get a grip

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Reati wrote: »
    the point you seem to keep missing is that the rest of the popular banking world are already years ahead. You keep saying it will be a springboard for new developments, but as you know that new stuff will take more time. So, it will be next to impossible to catch up without bringing in a ton of devs to complete the move making the entire thing likely more buggy in the process.
    Absolutely, the poster is consistently missing the fact that while BOI is trying to catch-up with how far behind they have been, the rest of the industry is not standing idle. 

If their project is not too late and BOI has their new backend system up and running in 18-24 months, it will take another couple of months for them to implement Apple Pay on it and go though Apple's testing and roll-out process. So assuming all goes well we are probably talking another 2 to 3 years to have Apple Pay deployed for customers. That is ages in technology and marketing time, especially when you are already 2 years late at the party.

And during that time the competition will have introduced real time transactions notifications, very fancy apps*, mobile/instant money transfer, and more features I can't think of.

What is new tech for BOI in term of backend systems will also have became old tech for competitors who have had it for years. And these competitors will have rolled-out additional/updated systems which support more features.

So while I am not saying BOI can't ever catch-up, it would be foolish to think that this almost mystical project will allow them to shortly come to the forefront of banking technology. Doing that would take a lot of time *and additional investments compared to the banks they need to catch-up with*.

* BOI only has a so-so app and a poor App has nothing to do with outdated backend systems btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi All,

We'd like to come in again on this thread. There are changes and developments coming, at the moment we are unable to give you any time frame or details. Please be assured as soon as we're provided with an official communication, we will be sharing it across all of our social media platforms and within our websites & Apps.

We are reading all the comments and suggestions here and taking all feedback to our Development Team. We're asking please to try keep the tone civil on this thread and respectful to all posters.

Thanks again,
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Herself with AIB so put her card onto my Google Pay and then give her money or setup a direct debt, see how that goes!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We'd like to come in again on this thread. There are changes and developments coming, at the moment we are unable to give you any time frame or details. Please be assured as soon as we're provided with an official communication, we will be sharing it across all of our social media platforms and within our websites & Apps.

We are reading all the comments and suggestions here and taking all feedback to our Development Team.
    This post sums up BOI's inability to comprehend that things are changing in both the technology and personal-finance worlds.  Also as someone with significant software development experience I'm not at all buying the line that comments on this forum in any way influence the development team.  Development in a project of this nature tends to follow an implementation and release plan.

Your customer service reps on this forum would do much better by giving some approximate date for this (and other) features, like Q4 2019 for example.  Rather than make empty promises to bring feedback to the development team, perhaps bring feedback to customer service management that giving an approximate timeframe would be a major positive move.  Reasonable people realise that large projects can and do fall behind schedule, but the news blackout and obvious desire to suppress discussion is not a good customer relations move.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Red Alert wrote: »

We are reading all the comments and suggestions here and taking all feedback to our Development Team.
    This post sums up BOI's inability to comprehend that things are changing in both the technology and personal-finance worlds.  Also as someone with significant software development experience I'm not at all buying the line that comments on this forum in any way influence the development team.  Development in a project of this nature tends to follow an implementation and release plan.

Your customer service reps on this forum would do much better by giving some approximate date for this (and other) features, like Q4 2019 for example.  Rather than make empty promises to bring feedback to the development team, perhaps bring feedback to customer service management that giving an approximate timeframe would be a major positive move.  Reasonable people realise that large projects can and do fall behind schedule, but the news blackout and obvious desire to suppress discussion is not a good customer relations move.

Fully agree, I've been a BOI customer for 20 plus years but they are falling way behind their old bank rivals in terms of their app and online banking features, and even further behind the likes of Revolut and N26. With no realistic ETA from BOI as to when their backend systems overhaul will be complete and new features added I'm likely going to switch my current account away from them in the near future. It's also madness that BOI are charging unavoidable maintenance fees on their current accounts for such a poor product when their rivals nearly all offer free banking (or at least a way to get free banking). 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gavinphelan12

OSI wrote: »
    There's a lot of contractual and licensing stuff that needs to be done by the legal department as well. It's not just a simple case of enabling it whenever you feel like it.

I've made 5he switch to KBC Thier app is the best from what I've seen
    So it's all going good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

KingCong wrote: »
    Red Alert wrote: »

Fully agree, I've been a BOI customer for 20 plus years but they are falling way behind their old bank rivals in terms of their app and online banking features, and even further behind the likes of Revolut and N26. With no realistic ETA from BOI as to when their backend systems overhaul will be complete and new features added I'm likely going to switch my current account away from them in the near future. It's also madness that BOI are charging unavoidable maintenance fees on their current accounts for such a poor product when their rivals nearly all offer free banking (or at least a way to get free banking). 

Yeah as I told them,they’re chargin for a personal service that they don’t offer anymore and they’re practically an online bank with little / no online facilities!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guys, for the general banking chat regarding which banks offer what service, please use the Banking forum.

Reps have nothing to add regarding a time frame for Apple Pay as stated already in the thread so closing this up for now. It can be re-opened when they have an update to add. Thanks all. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement