Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood pellet stoves

• 12-11-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Im considering buying a Wood pellet for my house, I know very little about them, I've been looking them up on the internet which is quite confusing, some just have a flue going out and others have a flue and a smaller pipe as an intake of air for the stove, is there any difference between the both or do they do the same job, would a 9kw pellet stove be as good as a 9kw solid fuel stove, if anyone has any information about them or what to look out for like good makes or bad, or are they as good as they are made out to be, I would be considering roughly 9kw non boiler, all info appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Im considering buying a Wood pellet for my house, I know very little about them, I've been looking them up on the internet which is quite confusing, some just have a flue going out and others have a flue and a smaller pipe as an intake of air for the stove, is there any difference between the both or do they do the same job, would a 9kw pellet stove be as good as a 9kw solid fuel stove, if anyone has any information about them or what to look out for like good makes or bad, or are they as good as they are made out to be, I would be considering roughly 9kw non boiler, all info appreciated. Thanks

I have a wood burner, have been to the Italian Alps in winter a lot
    Pellet seems more popular than wood there. Invicta
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=invicta+stoves&oq=invicta+s&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9514j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi Im considering buying a Wood pellet for my house, I know very little about them, I've been looking them up on the internet which is quite confusing, (1) some just have a flue going out and others have a flue and a smaller pipe as an intake of air for the stove, is there any difference between the both or do they do the same job, (2) would a 9kw pellet stove be as good as a 9kw solid fuel stove, if anyone has any information about them or what to look out for like good makes or bad, or are they as good as they are made out to be, I would be considering roughly 9kw non boiler, all info appreciated. Thanks

1: the second one reduces the heat loss from the room due to using external air for combustion.
    2: pellet much easier all round: can run up to 21 hrs between fills, timer, temp control etc..
    I am currently looking at https://www.mcz.it/en/ which are supplied and fitted by a crowd in Tullamore, I can PM you the details if you want.
    Delivery dates a huge problem due to demand.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If you’re buying pellets in bags they are expensive.thats my experience.plus you have the responsibility of storage and keeping them dry.also the hassle of going buying them,availability and dragging them in and out of a car. If you want to save money you need to buy bulk but that involves a large approved hopper and a load of health and safety sh1te. The lads won’t blow them in loose now unless it’s an approved storage unit citing health and safety as the reason.all in its a good clean and renewable source of heat but the costs and hassle need to be factored into its purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

and a load of health and safety sh1te. .....

Pellets can give off carbon monoxide

It does accumulate in you and will happily kill you

gctest50 wrote: »
    Pellets can give off carbon monoxide

It does accumulate in you and will happily kill you

They cite dust and the chance of an explosion due to static.no mention of carbon monoxide.all I say is do the sums op on what it will cost you by the month compared to other heat sources and factor in your own time and the hassle that goes with it. The hoppers approved are huge and are north of fifteen hundred euro and there is also a minimum tonnage you must buy to justify their delivery by the company

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I live in a Timber log cabin and have one (Sidebos). I would happily fire it out in the morning. When it is turned off it is cold within 15 minutes. Its nothing like a solid fuel Stanley. Pellets are clean and bulky. I dont mind cleaning it out because we previously had a solid fuel stanley before. The catch is the chimney has to go over the guttering where the solid fuel has to over the Apex of the roof.

Cost over long term benefit buy a Stanley and a chainsaw. Its not there is anything wrong with it, just there is better value out there over the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

If you’re buying pellets in bags they are expensive.thats my experience.plus you have the responsibility of storage and keeping them dry.also the hassle of going buying them,availability and dragging them in and out of a car. If you want to save money you need to buy bulk but that involves a large approved hopper and a load of health and safety sh1te. The lads won’t blow them in loose now unless it’s an approved storage unit citing health and safety as the reason.all in its a good clean and renewable source of heat but the costs and hassle need to be factored into its purchase

Cheap bag is €3.50 or €15 for two bags of good pellets at Woodies. It makes coal look like half the price. Dont get me started on the storage.

They cite dust and the chance of an explosion due to static.no mention of carbon monoxide.all I say is do the sums op on what it will cost you by the month compared to other heat sources and factor in your own time and the hassle that goes with it. The hoppers approved are huge and are north of fifteen hundred euro and there is also a minimum tonnage you must buy to justify their delivery by the company

The installation of wood pellet heating as a cost-effective and climatically neutral source of energy for private households has increased steadily in recent years. We report two deaths that occurred within the space of about a year in wood pellet storerooms of private households in German-speaking countries and were investigated by forensic medical teams.

This is the first report of fatalities in this special context as is shown in the literature review.

Both victims died of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning; one of the victims was a woman who was 4 months pregnant.

Measurements at the scene detected life-threatening CO concentrations (7500 ppm, >500 ppm), which were not significantly reduced after ventilation of the storerooms as required by regulations.

Not sure if burner or pellets source of CO, but anyway :

A €30 CARBON monoxide alarm would have prevented the death of a man killed while trying to fix a wood pellet burner, according to a family solicitor.

Colm MacGeehin made the comment following an inquest into the death of Declan Murphy, Limetree Lodge, Portarlington, Co Laois.

Mr Murphy was trying to fix a fault with a wood pellet burner in his shed when he was overcome by fumes on November 25th, 2010.

His wife, Siobhán McCann, said her husband had climbed into a pellet silo to try and fix a pellet-feeding problem. “He looked at me and said I don’t feel well, I need to get out of here,” she said in her deposition. Mr Murphy began to have a seizure.

Acting coroner Eugene O’Connor said the workplace was the primary concern of the Health and Safety Authority.

I live in a Timber log cabin and have one (Sidebos). I would happily fire it out in the morning. When it is turned off it is cold within 15 minutes. Its nothing like a solid fuel Stanley. Pellets are clean and bulky. I dont mind cleaning it out because we previously had a solid fuel stanley before. The catch is the chimney has to go over the guttering where the solid fuel has to over the Apex of the roof.

Cost over long term benefit buy a Stanley and a chainsaw. Its not there is anything wrong with it, just there is better value out there over the long term.

Agree with you fully.wood pellets definitely aren’t the fairytale some make them out to be and that’s from experience. The chimney on ours had to be twin wall stainless and like yours above the ridge line.it cost a fortune and after I’d say 2 months I could have gone out servicing them as a career through learning how to fix our own one every week.they are trying to improve them all the time with adding buffer tanks and cut out stats but they would break your heart.its also hard to find experienced personnel to work on them and a lot of it has to be signed off by the right person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Different issues with different configurations are being mixed up here.

The OP , IIRC, is looking for a room stove, so can we stick with room stove related issues so as to address the OP's question.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement