Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mouldly smell in built in wardrobe

• 12-11-2018 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to this so hoping someone here had a similar issue and found a fix.

We've a built in wardrobe all along an external wall. The eternal wall gets zero sun so is a cold one. Last year we noticed a pretty minging mouldy smell in one of the wardrobe sections and it spread all through the wardrobe so we put in dehumidifier packets things and washed everything. No issues all summer but iIt's come back now again.

I suppose it's warm air from the room hitting the cold back of the wardrobe and cold wall and condensing. We're good with controlling condensation etc so there's not much extra we can do to remove moisture.

Room has a good working vent and we do open windows once a day.

I was thinking that perhaps the cold wall is not insulated like most of the other interior walls in the house so I was thinking of taking out the wardrobe and insulating the wall.

First question is will this sort / help to sort the issue and next questions is how to do this - standard insulating sheets or do I need to worry about vapour barriers or anything beyond just putting in insulation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you actually seeing a condensation problem? Are the dehumidifier packets picking up any water or do you see mould/water on the wall?

I'd say its unlikely to be this problem unless you are actually seeing water accumulating.

Now, what you may find behind the wardrobe frame and/or behind the plasterboard wall is another matter.

I'd be taking if off just to see whats there....mouldy smells always have a source, there could be a leak that is being hidden behind the wardrobe.

Have you gone up into the attic to see what you can see/smell from up there?
    Also, is there a downpipe on this wall or a leaky gutter above? Next time its raining take a look to see if water is running down the wall.

Finally, anything in the room directly below this wall? Any smells or stains on the wall?
    It might be easier to cut out a section of ceiling and look up rather than get involved with removing the wardrobe and wall until required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are you actually seeing a condensation problem? Are the dehumidifier packets picking up any water or do you see mould/water on the wall?

I'd say its unlikely to be this problem unless you are actually seeing water accumulating.

Now, what you may find behind the wardrobe frame and/or behind the plasterboard wall is another matter.

I'd be taking if off just to see whats there....mouldy smells always have a source, there could be a leak that is being hidden behind the wardrobe.

Have you gone up into the attic to see what you can see/smell from up there?
    Also, is there a downpipe on this wall or a leaky gutter above? Next time its raining take a look to see if water is running down the wall.

Finally, anything in the room directly below this wall? Any smells or stains on the wall?
    It might be easier to cut out a section of ceiling and look up rather than get involved with removing the wardrobe and wall until required.

Yup the packets are pulling a fair amount of moisture. I can't see the wall, the inside of the wardrobe shows no mould but smells pretty strongly of mould.

Will check the attic - ceiling area. This room is on the ground floor so nothing beneath. There is a downpipe outside this room - good idea, I'll have a look at it. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id get out a holesaw and drill 4 holes in each corner of the wardrobe backing to investigate the wall. If its in the wardrobe then its no doubt behind it. The wall is the obvious place. And downpipe or guttering that feeds it should be checked. could be just simply blocked with gunk.

If there is mould already behind the wardrobe it has to be torn out completely - there is no saving it.

Advertisement