Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT & DVLA

• 12-11-2018 8:10pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    imported a car at the weekend from the UK.
    No tax on it so had to pay in full - stg £30.

Now back in Ireland, and want to cancel the Uk tax , and possibly get back some of the £30.

Do the Vrt folks here need the export section of the V5 ?
    Sent the dvla a note but got a reply to say, write to them !! for what ?

IF I send them the Export section of the V5 - will they auto refund the remainder/rest of 11 months ?

thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You’re not named on the v5 so they certainly won’t refund it to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

VRT require the full V5 not just the small tear off, if you don't have that you have to apply for certificate of export from DVLA - takes 2-4 weeks - they will not send v5 to you if outside uk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

scannerd wrote: »
    VRT require the full V5 not just the small tear off, if you don't have that you have to apply for certificate of export from DVLA - takes 2-4 weeks - they will not send v5 to you if outside uk.

I have the full v5. But do the vrt folks need the export tear off part. I know they'll need the info part with vin etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Marcusm wrote: »
    You’re not named on the v5 so they certainly won’t refund it to you!
    Even though it was my debit card that paid it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

i had the v5 (2 pages) and it was no issue, i dont think the export part was filled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Amouar

I got a refund from the DVLA. They sent me a cheque of 27.5GBP for the 30GBP I paid. Sent them a letter with a copy of the V5 and receipt for the tax paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Amouar wrote: »
    I got a refund from the DVLA. They sent me a cheque of 27.5GBP for the 30GBP I paid. Sent them a letter with a copy of the V5 and receipt for the tax paid.

This.

You fill out the blue section 11 re permanent export, put in the date you brought car over, send your name, address and copy of tax paid and they will send you a cheque.

TRS30 wrote: »
    This.

You fill out the blue section 11 re permanent export, put in the date you brought car over, send your name, address and copy of tax paid and they will send you a cheque.

I didn't even fill the section 11.

Just a copy of the V5, a letter with details including new Irish reg and receipt.

Someone in boards told me that they received the money back from the DVLA via bank transfer, so I sent the cheque back to the DVLA (AIB can apply a fee if the cheque is required for collection), but the DVLA replied to me saying that they don't do bank transfers.

I asked them to send the cheque back to me.

Did you get charged any fee when you cashed your cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

karltimber wrote: »
    Even though it was my debit card that paid it ?

How do they know whose debit card paid for it! Did you buy the car from a dealership or from a private individual? Ultimately, the DVLA will only record your ownership of the car as an artifact of the export process. If there is the capability of a refund it will go to the prior registered owner if anyone. Or follow the process outlined by Amour! Not sure if that is a formalised process int he UK, it certainly isn't automated (unlike a domestic change of ownership int he UK).

I didn't even fill the section 11.

Just a copy of the V5, a letter with details including new Irish reg and receipt.

Someone in boards told me that they received the money back from the DVLA via bank transfer, so I sent the cheque back to the DVLA (AIB can apply a fee if the cheque is required for collection), but the DVLA replied to me saying that they don't do bank transfers.

I asked them to send the cheque back to me.

Did you get charged any fee when you cashed your cheque?

I just did what the DVLA guy told me too.

Haven't received the cheque yet however will lodge it to the old mans sterling account and he can give some real money.

• Advertisement

I just did what the DVLA guy told me too.

Haven't received the cheque yet however will lodge it to the old mans sterling account and he can give some real money.

The cheque has "account payee only" written on it, so can only be lodged if the bank account name matches the name on the cheque.

The cheque has "account payee only" written on it, so can only be lodged if the bank account name matches the name on the cheque.

Can't I just sign the back of it!?!

Can't I just sign the back of it!?!

Probably not.

Advertisement