Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday 23rd November 2018

Options
  • 12-11-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Third attempt to post this.

Our third IoT Black Friday thread
    If there is a smart time to buy smart goods it's Black Friday

Anyway what's the plans and hopes this year?

Maybe a smart vacume for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Stoner wrote: »

Maybe a smart vacume for me.

Looking at this too

Interested in some smart blinds too and finish off the house with hue

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Robo-Vac.... fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

is ti silly to buy hue bulbs before lamps ?

renovating a house so looking at getting it all hue.
    Anyone have a sample plan for their house and how many bulbs were required ?

I already have a E27 colour starter kit and 2 x white Bulb and switch sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

carq wrote: »
    is ti silly to buy hue bulbs before lamps ?

renovating a house so looking at getting it all hue.
    Anyone have a sample plan for their house and how many bulbs were required ?

I already have a E27 colour starter kit and 2 x white Bulb and switch sets.

You can pick up adaptors in Ikea or on Amazon that will allow you to use an E27 in a B22 lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

irishbuzz wrote: »
    You can pick up adaptors in Ikea or on Amazon that will allow you to use an E27 in a B22 lamp.

I have them ordered too.
    I was just wondering how many bulbs i should look to buy and what different type of bulbs i would require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm looking for a Google Home Hub, a Nest E thermostat, maybe a Nest smoke alarm, and if I see a good deal then I'll make all of the downstairs of my house smart lighting but need 11 GU10 bulbs, a few light fittings probably, and two or three others for lamps.

I'm also keeping a bit of budget aside just to splurge on random stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

carq wrote: »
    I have them ordered too.
    I was just wondering how many bulbs i should look to buy and what different type of bulbs i would require.

Depends on your renovation :)
    Ive 21 spots (gu10) in my kitchen/extension - all hooked up to alexa (im using ikea bulbs)
    I've ordinary pendants in the hall/landing sitting room 3 bedrooms - about 10 lights in total (mixture e27 and cpl e14s) - but i havent these paired yet (theyre in nearly 6 months)
    I didnt miss it at first, But Ive started using routines now, so Ill be pairing them shortly, but to get back on topic.....
    I bought all y lights up front and had the electrician fit what i wanted to match. Although he said he couldnt get e27 fittings for the pendants, so i ended up with ikea adaptors - which are fine.... bUt the e27 fittings can easily be got.
    Buy the bulbs while they are cheap and make sure you plan your renovations around what you are buying.

We're an amazon house - Im looking out for amazon show and might be extra tempted if one of the little alarm clock looking yolks (echo spot?) are going cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

I’m hopeing for a 3 for 2 on the twin packs or something similar on hue gu10 ambient bulbs , or a decent offer on the colour gu10’s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Mostly stocking up on Hue this Black Friday... GU10s (4 colour, 4 white/ambient), colour lightstrip, couple of B22 white/ambient, and a dimmer.... and maybe another motion sensor.

I'm also going to pick up another Google Home Mini for the living room.

Not HA/IoT but also planning on getting an nvidia Shield, and an external HD (something around 2Tb).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Not really planning on getting anything specific but if a single Google Wi-Fi is a decent price I'd consider that as the camera at the rear of the house seems to have a poor signal most of the time. Would also consider replacing a smoke alarm or two with Nest units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Google Home Hub and Nest Protect on my shopping list but I doubt I will see much if any saving on either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Already picked up on that deal today of 2 x Hue Colour E27s, Echo Dot and Hue Bridge.

Very good deal, I was looking to get the E27s anyway and the Echo Dot and Hue Bridge along with a spare White Ambiance Hue bulb is going to go to my nephew for Christmas as he has gotten into Home Automation tech :)

Also looking out for:
    - 2 x Hue Colour GU10's
    - Google Home Hub
    - Maybe an outdoor camera like the Yi Outdoor camera or the new TP-Link one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Looks like Amazon have just renamed their daily deals Black Friday deals. According to HUKD Google Home will drop to GB£79 and the mini will drop to GB£29.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

irishbuzz wrote: »

Just on the adapters, be careful when taking them out of the light fixture as they seem to hold a residual charge.
    I undcrewed one the other day to check on a Hue bulb that has died and the adapter came with it. When I went to unscrew that off the bulb, I got a shock off it, not a big one but enough to make you react.
    If you are on a steps etc, could make you fall off balance.

Looking for a replacement bulb on black Friday, an Echo spot & possibly a fire tablet for a Home Assistant control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Also a good time to sign up for Prime for a month or two.
    Between Black Friday and Xmas, I'll probably order enough to cover the cost, although not everything will fall under Prime.
    Also some extra tv choice for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Picked up the teckin smart plugs they have 22% off.

Hoping to pick up the harmony elite in a black Friday deal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Picked up 3 ess lamps full colour for 67 pounds. Happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Stoner wrote: »
    Picked up 3 ass lamps full colour for 67 pounds. Happy with that
    What are ass lamps? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anna96

Hoping to get a good deal on the iphone x or xr on three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Picked up the teckin smart plugs they have 22% off.

Hoping to pick up the harmony elite in a black Friday deal.

What app do those plugs use? Smart Life?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Brian017 wrote: »
    What app do those plugs use? Smart Life?

Yep, got it setup, works a treat.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anything on lifx bulbs, looking for 3 to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

irishgeo wrote: »
    anything on lifx bulbs, looking for 3 to start off with.

Osram have deals on at the moment on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Finally gave in and got the ring doorbell 2. I've only been talking about getting one for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

matrim wrote: »
    Finally gave in and got the ring doorbell 2. I've only been talking about getting one for 2 years.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ted1 wrote: »
    Osram have deals on at the moment on amazon

is osram a store?

irishgeo wrote: »
    is osram a store?

Amazon is the store Osram are brand that makes lights.

OSRAM Smart HK Wi-Fi Bulb, E27, 10 W, White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077X7282Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5-A9BbX2XHRK7

They need a hub

3 hues and a hub for 80

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting B22 Bayonet Cap Starter Kit, 3 x Philips Hue 9 W B22 Richer Colour Bulbs, 1 x Hue Bridge 2.0, Apple Home Kit Enabled, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Vu09Bb6TSGXXN

Are these any good as ceiling lights or just for spots ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

ted1 wrote: »
    3 hues and a hub for 80

Philips Hue White and Colour Ambiance Wireless Lighting B22 Bayonet Cap Starter Kit, 3 x Philips Hue 9 W B22 Richer Colour Bulbs, 1 x Hue Bridge 2.0, Apple Home Kit Enabled, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Vu09Bb6TSGXXN

Are these any good as ceiling lights or just for spots ?

B22 are regular bulbs great for ceiling lighting. Spots at GU10

Advertisement