Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heating

Options
  • 12-11-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I know theres lots of threads on this but Im honestly clueless about how they work, Im renting for the first time moving out of home and the apartment has storage heating only. I work all day 9-6 mon-friday and gym most evenings during the week too. I would mainly be in the apartment sat/sun. How do I make this work for me? Would I be better off wirh plug in oil radiators for when Im there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Go to YouTube and search for hw storage heaters work. Simple to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

sonas93 wrote: »
    I know theres lots of threads on this but Im honestly clueless about how they work, Im renting for the first time moving out of home and the apartment has storage heating only. I work all day 9-6 mon-friday and gym most evenings during the week too. I would mainly be in the apartment sat/sun. How do I make this work for me? Would I be better off wirh plug in oil radiators for when Im there?

Its been a lot of years since I've had to use them, the heat seemed to be well gone by time I'd finish work.

If I remember correctly, there are two plugs on the wall.
    One has a light on it , that is the storage heater part which heats it up during the night, you need to have that switched on for it to work overnight. The light won't come on until your electricity switches to the cheaper Night Rate. You might think its broken as the light won't come on until the switch over to the Night Rate.

There are two dials on the heater, one is Input and the other is Output.
    The dials might be hidden behind a little flip cover.

Can't remember which way to put the Output. One way will let out the heat quicker than the other.

The more you crank up the Input, the more heat will be stored.

There will be a second switch on the heater, this will be an instant heater, which will cost a bit if running on the day rate.

Your heater might be different than the one I used.
    I remember the bedroom heaters were Instant only, so don't assume all the heaters will be storage.

Apologies if any of my info is incorrect, I never liked using them anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

Storage heaters are supposed to use cheap Night rate electricity during the night and then slowly release the stored heat during the day. In your case by the time you get home after work, heaters are probably practically cold.

Running a 2kw oil radiator for a few hours every evening would probably work better, especially, if you get one with the timer that would turn it on and off so that it doesnt run 100% of the time but maybe only 70% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As above, the input dial determines how much heat the devices store overnight.

The output determines how quickly the heat is released.

Every night before 11pm, the output should be set to the lowest setting. This prevents the heat being lost to an empty room.

You have to figure out what works through trial and error. The numbers I give below assume your heaters go from 1 to 6. Tonight set the input to 3 and the output to 1.

Before you leave for work tomorrow, open the output to 2. If the house is cold when you get home, set the output to 6 and see if the room warms up. If it does, then the next day, set your output to 3 before you leave. If it doesn't, then that night change your input to 4.

What worked for me was leaving the output on 1 and just adjusting the input based on the expected weather. Maybe not the ideal way but worked pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I understand they charge at night and heat comes out slowing during the day. But I guess what I’m asking is if this is useless/expensive for me as I will be home so late most days. The imagine the heat will be long gone. Can they be just turned on in the evening (although I realise they will use the high rate)

• Advertisement

The storage heater part can't be turned on during the day but there should be an instant heater part on it that you can use.

To add, I ended up buying a little heater that I could move from room to room and use that.

Sometimes it's hard to know what the weather will be like or if you'll be at home the evening before.

I used the storage heater only for the cold cold days when I was around or had someone staying over during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Thanks everyone, clears a lot up for me. Im moving in wednesday so I will get a right look at them then!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sonas93 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have made myself more clear. I understand they charge at night and heat comes out slowing during the day. But I guess what I’m asking is if this is useless/expensive for me as I will be home so late most days. The imagine the heat will be long gone. Can they be just turned on in the evening (although I realise they will use the high rate)
    I never had a problem with warmth in the evening so long as I had set the heater correctly the previous night.

Advertisement