Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

cursai wrote:
    Hope he's not too traumatised to have appeared in party two of his show on the national broadcaster. I know he likes to keep his head down.

You realise the programme was made in one go and spilt into two segments. Not keeping his head down is what seems to have upset you and certain other members in the force. When did you leave/retire btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I don't think MrsMum's position is hypocritical. The coincidence of the complaint coming after so many years, directly after Mr D had been disciplined is pretty obvious to most people.

Maybe McCabe knew the complaint was coming sooner or later and played up the super-straight-n-legal garda thing

"The tribunal has previously heard how, as a teenager, Ms D complained to gardaí in 2006 that she had been molested by Sgt McCabe when she was aged six or seven during a game of hide and seek in his home."

and his reluctance to let anything "go" was just him cr@pping himself at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

davidmarsh wrote: »
    He left the force recently, didn't he..

What's next for him I wonder.

I hope the exposure and positive reaction that this brings him can restore some of his confidence and faith in people, generally speaking. He's still a young man with so much to offer.

I don't get the impression from him that he'd be content with the feet up every day enjoying his compensation (ie. drinking tea, like a real Guard!)

He took retirement after 30 years service, normal thing to do. Lump sum and pension like any other Guard.

He didnt get awarded any compensation so far, he is taking a civil case against Former AGS Commissioner Callinan and Former Supt Taylor, rightly so.

What I couldnt believe is that the State solicitor will be offering services to Callinan. Tax payers money should not be used , Callinan should pay his own way, its Disgusting :mad:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1113/1010609-maurice-mccabe-martin-callinan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

gctest50 wrote: »
    Maybe McCabe knew the complaint was coming sooner or later and played up the super-straight-n-legal garda thing

and his reluctance to let anything "go" was just him cr@pping himself at the time

Good one officer.

Goldengirl wrote:

The same justice minister claimed neither of the whistle blowers engaged with the enquiry, McCabe and Wilson were not named at the time. They were never interviewed , several months later Shatter had to acknowledge this in the Dail and correct the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

cursai wrote: »
    Hope he's not too traumatised to have appeared in party two of his show on the national broadcaster. I know he likes to keep his head down.

Would you be a member by any chance?:rolleyes:

He has the right to express his opinion on what hapened to him.

What do you mean, he likes to keep his head down? Please do expand on that sentence you made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

Judging by your posts on this thread, you have a very developed attitude to McCabe based on very little evidence, you've thrown up alot of strawmen and innuendo but not much else.

MFPM wrote:
    Judging by your posts on this thread, you have a very developed attitude to McCabe based on very little evidence, you've thrown up alot of strawmen and innuendo but not much else.

Skin in the game so to speak.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

Martin Callinan is some piece of work. Although Noreen O' Sullivan has been found to be not guilty of any misconduct been second in command she was up to her neck in it and even a half wit would tell you no different. It'll be interesting to see what the final outcome will be. Although I won't be holding my breath for Callinan to get any half decent punishment for his "DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR" He is no better than a playground bully. I'd love to be a fly in the wall of MC sitting room when Whistleblower The Maurice McCabe Story is on. Part 2 should make for interesting viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

Martin Callinan is some piece of work. Although Noreen O' Sullivan has been found to be not guilty of any misconduct been second in command she was up to her neck in it and even a half wit would tell you no different. It'll be interesting to see what the final outcome will be. Although I won't be holding my breath for Callinan to get any half decent punishment for his "DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR" He is no better than a playground bully. I'd love to be a fly in the wall of MC sitting room when Whistleblower The Maurice McCabe Story is on. Part 2 should make for interesting viewing.

Remember O'Sullivan has been absolved only for her time as Assistant Commissioner - the media coverage has been a little disingenuous in that. Her role as Commissioner has still be played out before Charlton. She's a clever operator - she was absolutely out to get McCabe, proving it is another matter though.

Ah sure, every body who wants to see things corrected must be in the wrong so, by your reckoning.

every body ...........

Where did i say every body ?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The most important yet devastating detail from this documentary was the decision taken by McCabe to check himself out of the psychiatric hospital and fight his corner.

The majority of people in that situation would have folded. He has an incredible conscience.

Sorry guard, you didn't say the exact words, but saying that someone is trying to get ' everything ' right because they are crxxxping themselves infers that is what you think of people who are perfectionists , or do you have particular personal knowledge of Mr McCabe?

infers that is what you think of people ........

No it doesn't

stick to what i said , stop dreaming n fantasising kthx

you didn't say the exact words,

You are so literal...used to giving orders there, guard!

Sorry nurse ....... hang on, do i know you from copper faced jacks ? any of the kids have ginger hair ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

:rolleyes:

The man is a national hero.

This country needs a heck of a lot more Maurice McCabe's.

I truly hope he and his poor family get worthy damages from their civil actions.

I recognised the mating ritual :p

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

Over 1 million people expected to tune in tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just watched part one. Martin Callinan is a dirty scumbag of a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Can I ask why is the State responsible for paying for Martin Callinan's legal fees in the civil case McCabe is taking against him? Callinan was found to have been engaged in a campaign of calumny while serving in the top job of AGS. This was a solo run of his own which surely broke the terms of his contract. He should not get another cent from the State imo and consider himself lucky not to be locked up for slander of the vilest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Can I ask why is the State responsible for paying for Martin Callinan's legal fees in the civil case McCabe is taking against him? Callinan was found to have been engaged in a campaign of calumny while serving in the top job of AGS. This was a solo run of his own which surely broke the terms of his contract. He should not get another cent from the State imo and consider himself lucky not to be locked up for slander of the vilest order.

Callinan will probably claim that he was protecting the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Mrsmum wrote: »

Mr Varadkar said: "The fact that the State is providing legal representation to the former garda commissioner does not mean that the State will pay for the defence or even necessarily that there will be a defence. Mr Varadkar has also asked the Attorney General to advise the Government on whether it would be in a position to pursue the former commissioner and the former garda press officer David Taylor for a contribution to any damages that may be paid.

The Taoiseach said that the decision to assist Mr Callinan was made in July before the Disclosures Tribunal report.

He said that now that the Charleton Tribunal report had been published, that position was being reviewed.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1113/1010609-maurice-mccabe-martin-callinan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I find it amazing there's not gardai on here praising mccabe and that some are actually still slurring him. This is the type of garda we want.principled,reliable and sincere in his actions.it's in stark contrast to the cynical,bent coppers that tried to stitch him up.weak individuals.

Advertisement