Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

The Tusla file raises so many questions.

Why was a file that contained allegations of rape left for a couple of years without any action?

Why didn’t the case worker proof read their report before printing? And, if she personally knew Miss D (as mentioned in a post above), how could she have selected a part of someone else file that contained an allegation of rape? Surely just reading that section before selecting it to copy they would have known it wasn’t MissD?

If they copied and pasted the info, what about the victim in the original file? How sure could they be that the info wasn’t cut and pasted? Was this victims case left for years without proper investigation?

How did Callinan know about a confidential Tusla file?

I inclined to disbelieve the whole copy and paste thing. I would have more respect for that social worker writing up the report if they just told the truth. Were they sacked for gross misconduct? Are they still working in social work?

Very good questions. Its either an orchestrated attempt to destroy McCabe or absolutely staggering incompetence, one or the other. There can be no other credible explanation. Either scenario should be met with severe sanctions for the people who were involved with it. Only in Ireland does the "honest mistake" defense get accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

McCabe was lucky that the individuals that tried to destroy him were such incompetent morons.
    Absolutely shocking though that they nearly drove him to suicide, I find it unbelievable that none in Tusla has been found culpable for the false rape allegation. A copy and post error is just to convenient an excuse more unbelievable that this was acceptable to the tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Strider wrote: »
    It may be because McCabe wasn't represented by the GRA, as a sergeant the AGSI were his rep. body.

And they were equally outspoken in his defence. Oh wait!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Did they actually copy and paste 110 pages of a file ? Or am I misunderstanding ?

I think it was the social workers initial report after talking to Miss D that the copy n paste occurred. I doubt that was 110 pages but I am open to correction.

Will there be an inquiry into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

eastie17 wrote: »
    Very good questions. Its either an orchestrated attempt to destroy McCabe or absolutely staggering incompetence, one or the other. There can be no other credible explanation. Either scenario should be met with severe sanctions for the people who were involved with it. Only in Ireland does the "honest mistake" defense get accepted.

This - Exactly.

Shocking stuff yet everyone involved keeps their jobs or pensions and the taxpayer foots the bill for all the inquiries and damages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think it was the social workers initial report after talking to Miss D that the copy n paste occurred. I doubt that was 110 pages but I am open to correction.

Will there be an inquiry into it?
    Thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

McCabe was lucky that the individuals that tried to destroy him were such incompetent morons.
    Absolutely shocking though that they nearly drove him to suicide, I find it unbelievable that none in Tusla has been found culpable for the false rape allegation. A copy and post error is just to convenient an excuse more unbelievable that this was acceptable to the tribunal.

Plus, a lot to be said for Maurice McCabe's detective skills as he had the foresight to record every conversation as if he hadn't it would be a case of "he said/he/they said". Even to having a recording on an old mobile phone that he didn't throw away but kept in his attic was a good help to him when more false allegations were being thrown at him.

We have not only lost a genuine honest Garda but an excellent detective. Wishing Maurice and Lorraine and their family every happiness moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

How did Callinan know about the Tusla file when he met McGuiness in the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

davidmarsh wrote: »
    How did Callinan know about the Tusla file when he met McGuiness in the car park?

the people who were responsible for forging it told him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

One part they left out that I was interested in were the journalists.

For example

Paul Williams tried to bury Maurice several times. Wrote several stories about how Ms D's complaint was buried and she never got a fair hearing. Had several penalty points quashed too

Gemma Doherty claims she was sacked by indo for investigating quashed points on Callinan.

If the media wont or cant do there job we only hear what the gardai want us to here.

We need more Mick Clifford's etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No Garda, no Tulsa employee, and no Journalist, look likely to be held to account for their part in this sad, sick ,perverted affair. This country has a long way to go to rid itself of corruption

There's never any accountability in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

There's no mystery there. The erroneous Tusla file was sent to the Gardai.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/no-need-for-tribunal-if-tusla-owned-up-to-false-rape-allegation-1.3660609

The $64M question is why the Guards after receiving this file didn't arrest or even question Maurice McCabe.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Nearly the worst thing about all this is the fact that the GRA(Garda Union) never utter a word of support for the man or lifted a finger to help him. If that isn't a sign of a toxic culture in the AGS then I don't know what is!!

The GRA are not a union. And they represent Garda rank. Maurice McCabe was a sergeant. Thr rep body for sergeants is AGSI

RobbieMD wrote: »
    The GRA are not a union. And they represent Garda rank. Maurice McCabe was a sergeant. Thr rep body for sergeants is AGSI

and they did nothing for him either.

and they did nothing for him either.

Was he a paid up member of AGSI?

Was he a paid up member of AGSI?

He was.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If it's a genuine error it demands an organisation wide audit followed by a root and branch clear out of incompetents and the systems and culture that allow this crap to happen.

If it wasn't an error the same should happen.

Either scenario is appalling.

I don't believe it was an error. How could someone with the level of education required to become a Social Worker make that mistake? And then several equally educated colleagues miss it and compound it? Are they actually expecting people to buy this?
    The Tusla file raises so many questions.

Why was a file that contained allegations of rape left for a couple of years without any action?

Why didn’t the case worker proof read their report before printing? And, if she personally knew Miss D (as mentioned in a post above), how could she have selected a part of someone else file that contained an allegation of rape? Surely just reading that section before selecting it to copy they would have known it wasn’t MissD?

If they copied and pasted the info, what about the victim in the original file? How sure could they be that the info wasn’t cut and pasted? Was this victims case left for years without proper investigation?

How did Callinan know about a confidential Tusla file?

I inclined to disbelieve the whole copy and paste thing. I would have more respect for that social worker writing up the report if they just told the truth. Were they sacked for gross misconduct? Are they still working in social work?
    Am I correct in recalling that abuse files on the McCabe children were opened without the knowledge of either parent.
    If, I'm correct, how did that "mistake" happen?

He was.

I had a quick scan online and I can see he had reps from AGSI with him at meetings...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

MFPM wrote: »
    Judging by your posts on this thread, you have a very developed attitude to McCabe based on very little evidence, you've thrown up alot of strawmen and innuendo but not much else.

You can spot the coppers or their relatives a mile off.

A number of years ago myself and the missus were waiting outside a pub for a taxi along with a Garda couple.
    My other half mentioned McCabe and she was greeted with a statement that McCabe wasn't all he appeared to be, wink wink.
    This was from a sergeant in the Phoenix Park.

There was and still is a concerted campaign by guards to discredit and throw shyte at McCabe.

Even here you can read between the lines.
    The poster may even say something complimentary about him but there is always a BUT.

Our AGS is a toxic septic tank of an incompetent organisation.
    And just appointing an external head is not going to change it.
    One part they left out that I was interested in were the journalists.

For example

Paul Williams tried to bury Maurice several times. Wrote several stories about how Ms D's complaint was buried and she never got a fair hearing. Had several penalty points quashed too

Gemma Doherty claims she was sacked by indo for investigating quashed points on Callinan.

If the media wont or cant do there job we only hear what the gardai want us to here.

We need more Mick Clifford's etc

Williams is a sleveen of the highest order.
    He might as well have been in Callinans ar** pocket.

And remember how both he and Reybolds conveniently disappeared from our airwaves a while back when the shyte really hit the fan.

I am not allowed discuss …

I had a quick scan online and I can see he had reps from AGSI with him at meetings...

yeah they really had his back

https://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/the-strong-arm-of-the-law-266577.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Am I correct in recalling that abuse files on the McCabe children were opened without the knowledge of either parent.
    If, I'm correct, how did that "mistake" happen?

AFAIK the McCabes have a case against Tusla.

The thing is this is Ireland where no one, particularly in our public sector, is every responsible for their actions.

We have seen it in HSE, Tusla and Dept of Health hundreds of times at this stage.
    Numerous people have died because of some of them.
    Kids have had to injure countless rapes because of them.

We have seen it in FAS, in Dept of Education, in County Councils, etc.

We have seen it in the AGS.

And it is always the taxpayers that carry the cost of the fookups.
    And no one is ever fired, pension removed, or jailed for reckless endangerment in some cases.

Callinan should personally be held financially liable.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

From watching the documentary, it would appear that Garda McCabe derived great pleasure from hearing the news of resignations both justice ministers. Even tho neither of them should have been forced to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Makes the 'copy and paste' excuse a farce. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jmayo wrote: »

The thing is this is Ireland where no one, particularly in our public sector, is every responsible for their actions.

We have seen it in HSE, Tusla and Dept of Health hundreds of times at this stage.

And no one is ever fired, pension removed, or jailed for reckless endangerment in some cases.

I believe that should callinan in court be seen to have acted outside the powers of the office held and be seen to have purposely / knowingly done so, all state support should be withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Snowfire wrote: »
    From watching the documentary, it would appear that Garda McCabe derived great pleasure from hearing the news of resignations both justice ministers. Even tho neither of them should have been forced to do so.

Fitzgeralds actions resulted in both her and Leo making untrue statements in the Dail, either intentionally or via incompetence, either or, by a justice minister - she bloody well should have been forced to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Fitzgeralds actions resulted in Leo making untrue statements in the Dail, either intentionally or via incompetence, either or, by a justice minister - she bloody well should have been forced to go.

Well disclosures findings didn’t appear to think so. Emails were irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

Wasn't there a head of the Dept of Justice moved and a brand new position created in the HSE for him, around the time of this Tusla 'copy and paste error' .

There's legs in this thing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

jmayo wrote: »

Why is that? Is it our laws or just an endemic cultural issue? If its the laws why don't they change them? If its a constitutional thing (although unless the constitution says, "you can do whatever the **** you like in the public sector and nothing will happen to you" I don't see how that would be the issue) lets have a referendum on that rather than the other ****e they have us voting on such as is it a crime to say you don't like God or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Found that a tough watch. Fair play to the pair of them for sticking it out. Apart from the obvious Tusla and Canninan smearing the case with the computer they tried to stick on him is particularly repugnant. I worked for the fire service for many years and interacted with many gardai and there are lots of very good and capable guards but they are let down at every turn by the culture and there are the guards that went into it for the power and they are the dangerous ones.

For all those comments earlier in the thread about how you wouldn't want to work with McCabe who was reporting you to his superior's. It's the Gardai Siochana not a job in the local supermarket. There has to be a higher standard to adhere to in the rule of law. If you turn up drunk in an unmanned cop car i fully expect you to be arrested never mind being reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

After all that it's business as usual for the Guards. Nobody is getting fired, nobody is going to jail and nothing will change. Honestly how can anyone Irish person have a shred of confidence in the force that has so many bad apples?

I remember the week the extent of the penalty points and fake breath test scandal was officially made public, as well as a lot of McCabe related stuff going on at the same time. There was a poll in some paper that said 9 out of 10 people still trust the guards.
    Sure what can you do when faced with such mindless, subservient idiocy?

Advertisement