Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Snowfire wrote: »
    From watching the documentary, it would appear that Garda McCabe derived great pleasure from hearing the news of resignations both justice ministers. Even tho neither of them should have been forced to do so.

They hardly went out on a limb for him in any way at any stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Snowfire wrote:
    From watching the documentary, it would appear that Garda McCabe derived great pleasure from hearing the news of resignations both justice ministers. Even tho neither of them should have been forced to do so.

Let me see, both minister's expressed full confidence in Callinan and O Sullivan both of whom McCabe was convinced were after him. McCabes reaction is fully understandable and as an aside the fact it was not necessary for either to resign was not known to McCabe at the respective times of their departure. The inquiry had not reported by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

****ing right he did.
    Years of ****e eventually taking down one or two heads. Some sort of validation.

Shatter had to go.
    Lied in dail that mc cabe didnt cooperate. Don't care if ill informed. He said it with glee and typical arrogance. Did he try to meet either whistle blower and get their side? Varadkar stood up for them.

Fitzgerald had to go
    Was emailed the plan to attack mc cabe and eh what either ignored or didnt read it.
    I can get hundreds of emails in a day. Make sure to skim them in case a mistake or bad judgement from subordinate in them. She did or was complicit.

If I was mc cabe I'd have a party every time a head rolled.

Man had a tree lined up to hang himself from. Now vindicated and head held high.

Hope he takes a few more yet.
    Paul Williams snaked off newstalk in a nice timely manner.

Hope the state bankrupts Callinan.
    Hope a tusla head rolls. And should be a criminal case

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Well disclosures findings didn’t appear to think so. Emails were irrelevant

Irrelevant?

It was the emails that ultimately resulted in her resignation .

Above actually says far more about you than it does about McCabe and what it does say about you isn't complimentary. Still trying desperately to discredit him.

• Advertisement

Another interesting facet to all this is at no stage did McCabe feel confident in approaching a FG TD strange that when FG sees them as the law and order party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Another interesting facet to all this is at no stage did McCabe feel confident in approaching a FG TD strange that when FG sees them as the law and order party.

Never supported FF.

John mc Guinness comes out as a man of principle and moral courage.

John mc Guinness comes out as a man of principle and moral courage.

He does and watch this space he's not disappearing into the background. He has another protected sector in his sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

How exactly is Paul Williams in any way morally superior now to the gangleaders he so bravely pursues.
    He's what's worst about any society.

Wouldn't it be obvious, in the social contract that we all implicitly make with one another in the society that we call Ireland, that a Garda Iis a citizen among citizens and therefore both deserves special protections and also stronger sanctions. This implicit understanding has ramifications for both Callinan et al and McCabe. All took an oath, all received specific powers to be used in a specific way and all should be dealt with appropriately. While Callinan, Taylor etc were engaging in this heinous behaviour, they were clearly neglecting their duties or at least not giving them full attention. That, for senior public servants, is a serious breach of duty and needs to be seen to be punished by our betters. For the good of the public and for the good of most rank and file Gardai who swore an oath of fealty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

An Ri rua wrote: »
    How exactly is Paul Williams in any way morally superior now to the gangleaders he so bravely pursues.
    He's what's worst about any society.

Wouldn't it be obvious, in the social contract that we all implicitly make with one another in the society that we call Ireland, that a Garda Iis a citizen among citizens and therefore both deserves special protections and also stronger sanctions. This implicit understanding has ramifications for both Callinan et al and McCabe. All took an oath, all received specific powers to be used in a specific way and all should be dealt with appropriately. While Callinan, Taylor etc were engaging in this heinous behaviour, they were clearly neglecting their duties or at least not giving them full attention. That, for senior public servants, is a serious breach of duty and needs to be seen to be punished by our betters. For the good of the public and for the good of most rank and file Gardai who swore an oath of fealty.

Williams is only 2 ends of a bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

angeleyes wrote: »
    Plus, a lot to be said for Maurice McCabe's detective skills as he had the foresight to record every conversation as if he hadn't it would be a case of "he said/he/they said".

That's what gets me: if he hadn't done that, we'd all be thinking he was a crank and more than likely a pedophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Nermal wrote: »
    That's what gets me: if he hadn't done that, we'd all be thinking he was a crank and more than likely a pedophile.

Or he would have been another suicide statistic. :(

'That's the tree where I was going to hang myself'. The torture Maurice McCabe and his wife endured was horrendous.

Callinan cannot be allowed to remain unpunished for his detestable actions. And it's not good enough that Joe Citizen will have to fork up for his wrongdoings, which looks likely. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

eastie17 wrote: »
    Why is that? Is it our laws or just an endemic cultural issue? If its the laws why don't they change them? If its a constitutional thing (although unless the constitution says, "you can do whatever the **** you like in the public sector and nothing will happen to you" I don't see how that would be the issue) lets have a referendum on that rather than the other ****e they have us voting on such as is it a crime to say you don't like God or some such.

Why would politicians bring in laws that would mean that they and other senior public officials might actually have to take responsibility for their actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's called vindication.

If he was so wrong how come 2 Justice Ministers, 2 Garda Commissioners, Garda Press Officer David Taylor and others all resigned their positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

The Gardai on here went missing after part 2 of the documentary last night. Seem to be crawling back out of their holes today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Well disclosures findings didn’t appear to think so. Emails were irrelevant

Yeah and the reaction you saw from Maurice McCabe last night on it was recorded on the day the news broke that they were resigning. He didn't have the benefit of the findings of the disclosures tribunal.

And anyway, so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

He derived great pleasure from being vindicated after taking superiors at their word that there would be ample investigation only for stuff to be shut down or attempt to be shut down by those at the very top.

There was plenty of reasons for BOTH Justice Ministers to resign. They were either both highly incompetent or complicit. Take your pick.

I suggest you read the history of the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

spockety wrote: »
    Yeah and the reaction you saw from Maurice McCabe last night on it was recorded on the day the news broke that they were resigning. He didn't have the benefit of the findings of the disclosures tribunal.

And anyway, so what?

Well I for one will allow him some satisfaction from it . The man was a hero and treated shamefully and yeh so what if he grinned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

STB. wrote: »
    He derived great pleasure from being vindicated after taking superiors at their word that there would be ample investigation only for stuff to be shut down or attempt to be shut down by those at the very top.

There was plenty of reasons for BOTH Justice Ministers to resign. They were either both highly incompetent or complicit. Take your pick.

I suggest you read the history of the cases.

The poster knows well I'd say. I've noticed that there does seem to be a continued offensive against McCabe here and posters casting doubt on his character. Sometimes its very subtle but still a dig. These pathethic charlatans really don't know when to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

He wrote to then FG Transport Minister Leo Varadkar and then FG Taoiseach Enda Kenny :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Forty years ago Geldof hit the nail on the head. Has anything changed since? Will anything be changed in another forty years?

Banana Republic
    Septic Isle
    Suffer in the Screaming sea
    It sounds like dying (dying, dying)
    Everywhere I go, oh yeah
    Everywhere I see
    The black and blue uniforms
    Police and priests*

The purple and the pinstripe
    Mutely shake their heads
    A silense shrieking volumes
    A violence worse than they condemn
    Stab you in the back yeah
    Laughing in your face
    Glad to see the place again
    It's a pity nothing's changed

*and bankers and businessmen, Tulsa and the HSE, councillors and TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mrsmum wrote: »
    They hardly went out on a limb for him in any way at any stage.

I didn't think he took any pleasure from Fitzgeralds resignation. Obviously it was big news for him, but it appeared to me he was just passing it on from the documentary.

He may well have taken pleasure from Shatter resigning, but then Shatter had (inadvertently it turned out) discredited him in the Dail saying he refused to co-operate with the Garda investigation, so he certainly deserves a pass on enjoying that one a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It aggravates me that Tusla got away free and clear.

His file was 110 pages long detailing how his kids were possibly at risk, the ‘copy/paste’ error describing him doing awful things to children etc etc Something like that isn’t created on a whim, it takes time, takes investigation and you need to be given all the information. You know, Tusla had all these details yet never visited the McCabe home or interviewed his kids, him, his wife.

I feel there was too much focus on the copy/paste portion and not enough focus on how such a detailed file was created without any interaction with everyone referred to in the report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Tusla saying the kids were at risk but sat on the file for so long but yet they are quick enough to go and remove a 1 day old from it's mother at a maternity hospital.

It aggravates me that Tusla got away free and clear.

His file was 110 pages long detailing how his kids were possibly at risk, the ‘copy/paste’ error describing him doing awful things to children etc etc Something like that isn’t created on a whim, it takes time, takes investigation and you need to be given all the information. You know, Tusla had all these details yet never visited the McCabe home or interviewed his kids, him, his wife.

I feel there was too much focus on the copy/paste portion and not enough focus on how such a detailed file was created without any interaction with everyone referred to in the report.

You're so right - totally bizarre.
    Were his children named in this file ? If so how did Tusla know their names etc. Who supplied the info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I talked about before at the time about a lad I know in justice said that the sentiment among the highest up lads was that Leo didn't back Fitzgerald up because he's a good person or whatever, it was because Fitzgerald was threatening to name other people who conspired with Callahan to bring McCabe down; those people including other TDs and Ministers in the Dail, if she was made to resign. Some deals were made and Fitzgerald stepped down. A lot more than the government would have been affected.

These people are not your friends like. There's still more to this McCabe stuff by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I talked about before at the time about a lad I know in justice said that the sentiment among the highest up lads was that Leo didn't back Fitzgerald up because he's a good person or whatever, it was because Fitzgerald was threatening to name other people who conspired with Callahan to bring McCabe down; those people including other TDs and Ministers in the Dail, if she was made to resign. Some deals were made and Fitzgerald stepped down. A lot more than the government would have been affected.

These people are not your friends like. There's still more to this McCabe stuff by the looks of things.

Full on In The Thick Of It behind the scenes.

Im sure if Callinan decided to sing, the song would be heard all round Leinster House. Sadly, this is politics. Callinan was given a frictionless path to retire and get his handsome pension (300k up front and 85k a year for life) and who know, maybe there is more hush money somewhere. Also, if Callinan knows a few tales then Taylor knows them aswell and wouldn’t you know it he gets to retire early which was at the discretion of The Commissioner…why grant that so easily?

At a high level, Maurice Mccabe has achieved the impossible really. Against all the unbelievable odds he has come out the other side, in his wake there are serious questions to be answered by Callinan, Tusla and many others but we’ll probably just have to cut our losses on them unless we miraculously find the 20 or so phones…imagine reading those texts.

Again, sadly, this is politics – Callinan wanted to bury Mccabe, were the serving Ministers for justice aware or somewhat aware (I believe so) but they skirted the fine line between the two until the victor emerged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

A lot of people are very angry after watching the 2 programs. Many learned new facts about the many wrongs done to McCabe and his family. I hope they repeat the documentary for years to come.

Many people are also frightened at the Gardai's and State's ability to ruin your life, health and career if you go against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement