Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

McCabe could have arrested the 3 Garda at the scene which would have led to dismissal for the driver at least.

On one hand he was wrong not to arrest a drunk driver at the scene. On the other hand he did his colleagues a favour.

One garda arresting three drunk Gardai at a suicide scene

no dark comedy writer in their wildest dreams could come up with that scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Have you not seen Brendan Gleeson in the guard?!

Mad, Ted :D

I’m not sure if laws were in place at the time but could the rat photos be deemed as incitement to hatred?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Mad, Ted :D

I’m not sure if laws were in place at the time but could the rat photos be deemed as incitement to hatred?

On account of which aspect?

race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

A snitch?

I suppose when you're the sergeant in charge and you see three colleagues, off duty, drunk, driving the station's unmarked car, at a sensitive scene of a suicide you just think ffs this **** needs to fcking stop. Even if there was a perfectly competent station being run, that would warrant in itself reporting. It must have been the last straw for McCabe who remember wasn't another rank and file but was supposed to be in charge.

I guess the backlash he faced, the snubbing, the ostracism, the bullying was for a two fold effect. One, to punish a 'rat' to the point of ridicule and two, as a not so subtle message to the other rank and file to keep their conscientious gobs shut and to turn a blind eye to Guards acting the bollox or else see point number one.

• Advertisement

On account of which aspect?

None of them anyway.

So there’s no law against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

The way Independent newspapers restricted the reporting of this whole story is absolutely startling. This journalist lost her job by refusing to halt her investigation. Paul Williams doesn't exactly smell of roses either. This article is eye opening to say the least.

https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2018/06/non-disclosure/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

It's inevitable in Ireland that there is going to be certain people pissed off at what Maurice McCabe done...their worst nightmare is that this whistleblowing lark might take hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

archer22 wrote: »
    It's inevitable in Ireland that there is going to be certain people pissed off at what Maurice McCabe done...their worst nightmare is that this whistleblowing lark might take hold!

BINGO

That's the crux of the whole thing isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

sparksfly wrote: »
    The way Independent newspapers restricted the reporting of this whole story is absolutely startling. This journalist lost her job by refusing to halt her investigation. Paul Williams doesn't exactly smell of roses either. This article is eye opening to say the least.

Very enlightening read. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yup

And that there is a good lot of people out there that would still see him as some sort of snitch goes to the heart of whats wrong with AGS and how many people view them.

McCabe was definitely a by the book man. Now, working in a travel agency, in IT, a supermarket etc that might be a bit annoying to be dealing with. But he was a Guard. They are meant to be the protectors of the pease and upholders of the law and should ALWAYS hold themselves to a higher standard.

The penalty points scandal is a prime example of them not holding themselves to that standard.

The incident with the Suicide and the drunk members of AGS is shocking and says to me imagine all the stuff we don't know.

AGA should have been rained in a long time ago by government. But unless the majority out there demand a better AGS then we're not going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can you imagine what would happen in this country if whistleblowing did take off?

Imagine what would be exposed in AGS, Finance, Health just to name 3, The country would go into meltdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Paul Williams doesn't exactly smell of roses either.

Biggest understatement of the this thread.

He is a disgrace of a "journalist"

Superb article.

It's amazing how many people were affected by this. The Gardai really were an arrogant bunch...not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

This upholds my disdain for Paul Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This upholds my disdain for Paul Williams.

Paul "The Scumbag" Williams is actually toxic...always look at the politicians that he seems close to...

I remember those Anglo Tapes controversy at the time, thinking how odd it all seemed.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Do you believe it was just an administrative error? Very few others do. I think we're right to be skeptical here given what else went on.

Sorry, working all day.
    Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about the mistake in the tusla file. Clearly something is very wrong there, & needs to be investigated fully.
    I was posting in relation to the original complaint by Miss D.
    I'm not making any reference to the file they had years later with rape allegations in it. There's clearly an issue there.
    Hope that clarified my point.

Not sure if this was posted already
    RTÉ INCREASED ITS audience share for its documentary about Maurice McCabe last night, with an audience share of 44% tuning in to see the second part of the whistleblower’s story.

An average of 555,000 people tuned in to Whistleblower: The Maurice McCabe Story on RTÉ One, an increase on the 509,000 that watched the first part on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I wonder how many have gone back to watch it on the rte shíte player?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It is a pity that he is retiring from the job, He would have made a good member an advantage to the country if he was in charge in some way,
    He would be the first to make shure this does not happen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

He’ll have his defamation of character claim to concentrate on for the next while, and then a nice sum to enjoy for his retirement....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

Snowfire wrote: »
    He’ll have his defamation of character claim to concentrate on for the next while, and then a nice sum to enjoy for his retirement....

What nice sum?

Yes and he fully deserves the pension and substantial legal settlements. He has done this country a great service. A true hero and gentleman. Don't you agree?

On the other side, Callinan got an €85,000 pension and gratuity of €255,000 for not doing his job and for arguably breaking the law.

One was distinguished. One was disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

He deserves it, I hope he gets millions after the despicable way he was treated by the state.

And as for Callinan, I wouldn't say he gives two fcuks how he is perceived. He is rich from now until death, no doubt he still has the same loyal band of friends and family around him who will stay loyal to him as they always have done before all of this, no doubt swallowing his stories or perception of events. The man can sit back and have a very comfortable life now, a few comments here about him being a social pariah etc are vastly overestimating how much he gives a sh!t...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Yes and he fully deserves the pension and substantial legal settlements. He has done this country a great service. A true hero and gentleman. Don't you agree?

On the other side, Callinan got an €85,000 pension and gratuity of €255,000 for not doing his job and for arguably breaking the law.

One was distinguished. One was disgusting.

Absolutely. The false claims of sexual abuse is the lowest of the low.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A couple of facts.

Two other whistleblowers - Harrison and Taylor - have been completely discredited by the Tribunals.

In McCabe's case, while most of what he claimed was upheld, some was found to be exaggerated by the Tribunal.

So two and a bit out of three were wrong. Whistleblowing has some way to go before it is proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Just watched the documentary.

McCabe is an inspiration for us all to do what is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Floppybits wrote: »
    Can you imagine what would happen in this country if whistleblowing did take off?

Imagine what would be exposed in AGS, Finance, Health just to name 3, The country would go into meltdown.

It might initially, but once it all blew over, we would hopefully have a more honest and better run state.

People with nothing to hide would have nothing to fear, and we'd catch the chancers, cheats, criminals etc and get them off the payroll.

Its a Win/Win from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

blanch152 wrote: »
    A couple of facts.

Two other whistleblowers - Harrison and Taylor - have been completely discredited by the Tribunals.

In McCabe's case, while most of what he claimed was upheld, some was found to be exaggerated by the Tribunal.

So two and a bit out of three were wrong. Whistleblowing has some way to go before it is proven.

McCabe wasn't discredited because he managed to get evidence twice to save himself.

Firstly with the missing laptop and secondly when he recorded the conversation in mullinger.

Were the other 2 discredited or thrown under the bus?

Following what we know about the mechanisms of the state I'd be getting a bit wary of how people like these end up discredited.

McCabe himself seemed to acknowledge that he exaggerated minor details. May have felt he had to at various times to get the state to listen instead of trying to bury him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

blanch152 wrote: »
    A couple of facts.

So spouting this nonsense I see. You really will defend the Guards no matter what. And you still probably think Noirin is a saint. :rolleyes:

Advertisement