Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I don't really see anyone attacking McCabe, but they are going after the group think hero worship.

McCabe was ultimately shown to be wrong about the allegations of systemic abuse of the penalty points system and the **** show in Bailieborough garda station was really a local matter, not a national one.

The scandal (and it is a scandal) was how he was treated after he made his well meaning but incorrect allegations, but I don't see how that makes him a national hero.

Why are you focusing on the penalty points? The scandal stemmed from the drunk off duty Guards and the very serious allegations which were then leveled at McCabe.

Yes the penalty points may have played a part, because the there was a few grudges in the system because he brought up the missing penalty points but that's not the main issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I'm out. This is going in circles. People love a hero but they haven't gotten the hero they have built up in their lickle heads. No rationalising with bandwagon chasers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Didn't the report into penalty points find that the allegations he made, although well meaning, were unsubstantiated? Open to correction here.

The internal garda report?
    Produced by a garda?
    With the same bosses as McCabe?
    With he same bosses as a million breath tests?

cursai wrote: »
    I'm out. This is going in circles. People love a hero but they haven't gotten the hero they have built up in their lickle heads. No rationalising with bandwagon chasers.

Good luck.
    Say hello to your GRA buddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Tusla only a shower off imbreds same as Martin Callinan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I watched last night's programme. Was RTE over dramatic in its production maybe so. It still however does not detract from the fact that MMcCabe has been found by several tribunals as being a decent and honourable member of the Guards he was also found by the most recent Disclosures Tribunal as putting the citizen and state ahead of the organisation he was part of. The man has paid a high price for his actions and it is despicable to see posters on here questioning his motives agenda and making snide remarks. It didn't work before for them and it certainly won't work now. McCabe comes out this with his honour intact and held in high esteem by much of the public, his attackers and detractors aren't fit to wear the uniform or claim to be decent people.
    I look forward to tonight's episode, I hope it makes alot of people very uncomfortable including some here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'd like to say you have articulated your argument well but you haven't really. Bye.

Don't sail too close to the wind now, you only tied yourself up in knots with stubborn whataboutery.

cursai wrote:

Bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Wheety wrote: »
    Why are you focusing on the penalty points? The scandal stemmed from the drunk off duty Guards and the very serious allegations which were then leveled at McCabe.

Yes the penalty points may have played a part, because the there was a few grudges in the system because he brought up the missing penalty points but that's not the main issue here.

The issue is that he was severely mistreated for whistleblowing. This is true and I'm not saying otherwise.

What I am saying though is that being mistreated doesn't make you a hero.

• Advertisement

Willing to do the honourable thing when all around you are trying to destroy you does......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The brain washing and group think in our country's police force runs deep, it seems.

Its actually saddening.

<snip>

The issue is that he was severely mistreated for whistleblowing. This is true and I'm not saying otherwise.

That's a fair point.

This show was obviously from one side only.
    History is told by the winners.

It just seemed that this man did our country a service.
    Baliborough can't have been the only station with useless guards. We've all been to school and seen the mix if teachers out there.

If they cannot be held to account by their boss how can the useless ones be made work properly. The good ones will get fed up. You've get to remember all the good guards looking at this crap every day

Even if the penalty points was 1% you cant have a system being abused cus Paddy is full forward for the local club while a carer or a nurse or a whoever is playing by the rules.

By the way it was a lot more than 1% being deleted. Again done by higher ups. Good guard on the ground being ignored.

See the story on the guy on parol killing of sylvia Roche kelly. These are the repercussions of bad police work.

This stuff had to come out as no one would deal with internally.

The internal investigation found nothing wrong or at least wasn't acted on or published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Knex. wrote: »
    The brain washing and group think in our country's police force runs deep, it seems.

Its actually saddening.

<snip>

Keep reaching. The world must be a scary place for people like you. Everyone who doesn't agree must be on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The amount of gardai still trying to sway opinion even on here is shocking. I can safetly say yer doing nothing for the image of the gardai. What happened to mccabe was unbelievable and real change needs to happen because of it.pensions should be with held until those phones are found again. The guarda that conspired to have false allegations against mccabe drawn up should be locked up. I have a very very negative view of the guards after this.they just look like another gang to be avoided if truth be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This countries police force, political class media and oversight bodies are curropt and interlinked in a cosy cartel.

Anyone living in Ireland knows it.

Anyone who has had dealings with the police knows it.

The guards culture is to "cover each other's asses". This is because they are incompetent and lazy.

McCabe had enough and tried to raise systemic issues and they set out to bury him right from the top.

And they saw nothing wrong with calling him a rat, doctoring files, spreading rumours.

Then the investigation is led by Noirin O Sullivan's husband and phones and computers go missing.

In any other country they would all have been locked up for abuse of power.

In Ireland they are retired and pensioned.

McCabe is an honourable servant to this country in that he exposed further light on the inadaquecies of GSOC and the lack of accounability for mismanagement in Ireland.

Lots of apologists in here to cover up what is very serious curroption but it will be whitewashed and everything will go back to normal.

It's sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If I was in a senior position at work, as MMc was, and became aware of shoddiness, bad practice among my colleagues I would warn them about it and tell them to sort it out or I would take it further. MMc doesn't appear to have done that and reported them higher up the ladder resulting in some of his colleagues being demoted. He then feels aggrieved that he was shunned by many colleagues as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If I was in a senior position at work, as MMc was, and became aware of shoddiness, bad practice among my colleagues I would warn them about it and tell them to sort it out or I would take it further. MMc doesn't appear to have done that and reported them higher up the ladder resulting in some of his colleagues being demoted. He then feels aggrieved that he was shunned by many colleagues as a result!

Possibly why you're not in a senior position 'at work' :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

He's a straight up gangster. This was movie quality stuff it really was. For me the what stuck in my mind with this doc was the guards posting photos of a rat with darts stuck in it on Bebo.

These lads are all still going to be in the force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Have you read the Guerin Report?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/at-a-glance-the-guerin-report-1.1790277
    I would warn them about it and tell them to sort it out or I would take it further

This unfortunately is the attitude to policing that has led to scrotes all over this island gettting multiple warnings and nothing being done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

3 drunk guards, allegedly tampering with a suicide crime scene then leave, drink driving in an un-marked car. If Maurice was to have had a 'quiet word' with them. A) he becomes an accessory and B) that kind of behavior remains totally acceptable.

This case isn’t built in hear say, Maurices word against the Guards. Its open and shut, there are mounds of solid evidence that back up McCabe…most importantly the tapes.

Furthermore, he did the right thing to bring it to senior management but look what doing the right thing got him….a sexual abuse allegation.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Possibly why you're not in a senior position 'at work' :rolleyes:.

So if you acted as he did you would expect to be met with high fives when you returned to work?

It was shocking that McCabe expected them to do their job, turn up for their weekend shift when rostered. Not to go to the scene of a suicide when off duty and drunk using an unmarked patrol car and interfere with a preserved scene. Btw Miss D's father was one of those 3 off duty drunk guards, he was demoted do you think that was wrong?

So if you acted as he did you would expect to be met with high fives when you returned to work?

There’s a big difference between being sent to Coventry and being accused of child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

No idea how he didn't break with all the filthy lies and bullying. He's obviously a very strong good person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Why do the even have a player it doesn't work. And there was talk of doubling the fee. Should be scrapped as rte is not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I don't think any rational person thinks the TUSLA file issue was a mistake. However they seem to have covered their tracks well on that one.

It was shocking that McCabe expected them to do their job, turn up for their weekend shift when rostered. Not to go to the scene of a suicide when off duty and drunk using an unmarked patrol car and interfere with a preserved scene. Btw Miss D's father was one of those 3 off duty drunk guards, he was demoted do you think that was wrong?

There are several ways of highlighting wrongdoings at work. I don't know where you work or if you work but if one of my colleagues went to the top about wrongdoing without first advising his colleague to cut it out and shape up, and it resulted in that colleague being demoted then he would be pretty naive not to expect the cold shoulder when he returned to work.

There are several ways of highlighting wrongdoings at work. I don't know where you work or if you work but if one of my colleagues went to the top about wrongdoing without first advising his colleague to cut it out and shape up, and it resulted in that colleague being demoted then he would be pretty naive not to expect the cold shoulder when he returned to work.

You seem to have an issue with McCabe's methods in highlighting wrong doing which is fine. Any thoughts on the actual wrong doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think the guards are like the priests. While the good ones turn a blind eye/ cover up/minimise/deny re the actions of the bad ones, they implicate themselves in the disgusting behaviour of the far fewer number of bad ones. It is in their own best interests to have a good image and the bad ones are smearing the public image of them all. But just like the church I fear the most of them would prefer everything to stay hidden.

Advertisement