Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fan Assisted Radiator

• 12-11-2018 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I am just wondering does anyone have any of these installed or any recommendations?

I have looked at Solo Radiators and found Smartrad. Just wondering if any other options etc>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Latro

Hey Shefwedfan.

I know you are considering A2W system and that's why you are looking at them.
    They are expensive. You don't need to install them together with the HP. They are very easy retrofit-able in place of your existing rads.

Perhaps you don't need them. Wait until you have your A2W up and running and work from there. If you decide to go with them don't replace the whole lot. Do two first and see what happens.
    I DIY installed one Solo 6kW in place of steel double rad in the hall as precaution measure. It is set at 22C and I can rarely hear it "working". Probably I didn't need it. It cost me E350 at the local Heat Merchants.
    They look nice and thanks to them you could use your HP in the summer for cooling if you really need it.
    I would recommend Solo over Dimplex. Irish made and substantially cheaper.
    Performance-wise I don't know. I did some research on fan coil type radiators but I couldn't find any comparisons of them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Latro wrote: »
    Hey Shefwedfan.

I know you are considering A2W system and that's why you are looking at them.
    They are expensive. You don't need to install them together with the HP. They are very easy retrofit-able in place of your existing rads.

Perhaps you don't need them. Wait until you have your A2W up and running and work from there. If you decide to go with them don't replace the whole lot. Do two first and see what happens.
    I DIY installed one Solo 6kW in place of steel double rad in the hall as precaution measure. It is set at 22C and I can rarely hear it "working". Probably I didn't need it. It cost me E350 at the local Heat Merchants.
    They look nice and thanks to them you could use your HP in the summer for cooling if you really need it.
    I would recommend Solo over Dimplex. Irish made and substantially cheaper.
    Performance-wise I don't know. I did some research on fan coil type radiators but I couldn't find any comparisons of them online.

It's not for the A2W. Althought it will help.

I have a large room with a small radiator. My guess was pull out the older radiator and put in fan assisted to help heat the room. It is not a cold room or anything like that but it just needs that extra boost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's not for the A2W. Althought it will help.

I have a large room with a small radiator. My guess was pull out the older radiator and put in fan assisted to help heat the room. It is not a cold room or anything like that but it just needs that extra boost

You will need to be careful when doing this to be sure that you have the capacity to supply the extra heat demanded by the higher output radiator. It will mostly depend on the plumbing.

I have had a customer who had a piping hot single rad in a sun room and replaced it with a double. The new one rarely got up to temperature due to above reasons.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Then go for it.

At high temps it has about 6kW power which is likely far more than the room needs. It will be good boost for your low temperature set up in the future if you ever decide to go that route.
    I think they give best of both worlds between underfloor and traditional rads.
    Good low temperature performance and controlability.

I wouldn't recommend it for bedrooms though. They are not loud at all but in the night when there is complete silence they might feel irritating as the fan in them switch on and off periodically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wearb wrote: »
    You will need to be careful when doing this to be sure that you have the capacity to supply the extra heat demanded by the higher output radiator. It will mostly depend on the plumbing.

I have had a customer who had a piping hot single rad in a sun room and replaced it with a double. The new one rarely got up to temperature due to above reasons.

Ok if I stay with oil the current boiler is over sized but anyway

I don't really understand what you mean.

The radiators are certified with heat pump as a better option to traditional radiators. This is because they can work at lower temps. I would have expected if you replaced a radiator with fan assisted with oil boiler it would work better, after all they use less water so the boiler should have to heat less water? or am I talking gibberish :p

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »

I think he mentioned somewhere that he had 30kW monster so this should not be an issue. If anything it is the adequate flow that he will need most.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Latro wrote: »
    I think he mentioned somewhere that he had 30kW monster so this should not be an issue. If anything it is the adequate flow that he will need most.
    Its the size of the piping and all the way back to the burner that I am talking about. The boiler will be fine.
    Circulating pump will also come in to play, but if the piping is too small it will be difficult to overcome the limitation.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

It should be fine, they have 1/2 inch connectors. If your current small rad gets hot the fancoil should get hot too as it probably has less flow resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

I recommend against installing them. They were in our house when we bought it.

They might be ok when new but when the fan gets a bit dirty and the bearings a bit worn the noise off them is very unpleasant in a quiet house.

Advertisement