Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Konnected - Upgrade your old House Alarm system

• 13-11-2018 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Really really really liking this product and it will sort an upcoming problem for me by giving me the ability to upgrade my old legacy wired house alarm by leveraging all the existing equipment and make it smart.

and Id say I could get it all done for less than €200

I came across them on DrZzs latest Home Automation video where he upgraded his old house alarm

Check them out ....https://konnected.io/

Connect your home's wired alarm system to SmartThings, Home Assistant, OpenHAB or Hubitat and convert your home into a smart home. Now you can monitor your home from anywhere using your smart phone with no recurring fees!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Oh I've been looking for something like this recently, when all the quotes I was getting to upgrade my legacy HKC panel were all mad money.

Not even going to wait - add to basket! Thanks OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭tonyfillony

Order mine at the start of the month , think it is stuck in customs as tracking hasnt update since the 5th .
    Another user here has it already setup and said it was a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Wow, this looks too good to be true. Will it work in Ireland? Is it really DIY or would you need an electrician?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Order mine at the start of the month , think it is stuck in customs as tracking hasnt update since the 5th .
    Another user here has it already setup and said it was a breeze

Keep us in the loop mate!

Spocker wrote: »
    Oh I've been looking for something like this recently, when all the quotes I was getting to upgrade my legacy HKC panel were all mad money.

Not even going to wait - add to basket! Thanks OP!

again..keep us in the loop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Id heard of it on here before...Looks good...

I like to play around with this sort of stuff and have done something v similar with a raspberry pi and mqtt server...

Just one thing I notice in the FAQ
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nateclark/konnected-alarm-panel-revive-your-wired-alarm-syst/faqs
    Wondering is it still an a issue (it could be outdated faq)
    Question 7 - It says there is no delay feature on entering... And gives slutions for workaround... get a z-wave smart lock or put the tablet in your un-amred garage, or get outdoor keypad...
    Not sure whether this would be practical for many irish users.

I think you may be able to load the same app on your phone and disarm it from outside before you go in. Still... sounds like something they should be able to easily fix i would have thought.

Do not quote me on this...

but i think DrZz tackled this on his latest video along with setting an exit/arm time when leaving, but using Hass.io which might not be ideal for most.

as Konnected steers you towards using Samsung Smart Things for all configuration I will have to keep digging to see if this can do the same

EDIT: Hubitat can easily do delayed exit and entry activation
    https://youtu.be/Wseo4ePbl0E

Ha - didn't realise you were same guy as the other thread!

Nice to see there's a few other people digging around a bit lower down :)
    I like keeping things out of "the cloud" myself.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Ha - didn't realise you were same guy as the other thread!

Nice to see there's a few other people digging around a bit lower down :)
    I like keeping things out of "the cloud" myself.

lol

was going to ask the HUBITAT question in here as Konnected now have native support but didnt want this thread going off topic

They just seem like a perfect fit. ..It gives you an alarm system that is 100% not reliant on the Internet or cloud services.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

When this first came out, I didn't think it was a good idea given it dependence on SmartThings, which I felt wasn't dependable enough for a Home Security System.

But if you are hooking it up to HomeAssistant, etc. then it may well be more dependable and worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Look like just the thing I'm looking for. Wonder if Google home interactivity is coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Looked into this,
    My only issue is, If your wifi goes down, you have no alarm.
    So if someone pulls the master breaker in your meterbox, you have no alarm.

Alarm I went with has a battery backup along side the SMS and antenna in attic.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Looked into this,
    My only issue is, If your wifi goes down, you have no alarm.
    So if someone pulls the master breaker in your meterbox, you have no alarm.

Really? It doesn't just turn into a "dumb" alarm if the internet is down? That's a pretty big flaw...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

garion wrote: »
    Really? It doesn't just turn into a "dumb" alarm if the internet is down? That's a pretty big flaw...

You'd need to make sure your Wifi router and Raspberry Pi/other hub are also on a UPS.

If you are using SmartThings, then you'd also need that on a UPS, as well as your ISP modem if separate. And even then, someone cutting your broadband line would take it out.

If you were using HomeAssistant and your wifi/Raspberry Pi were on a UPS is should continue to work as at least a dumb system. But then wifi jammers exist so....

It is an interesting tech, but it does lack a lot of what a proper alarm system should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bk wrote: »
    You'd need to make sure your Wifi router and Raspberry Pi/other hub are also on a UPS.

If you are using SmartThings, then you'd also need that on a UPS, as well as your ISP modem if separate. And even then, someone cutting your broadband line would take it out.

If you were using HomeAssistant and your wifi/Raspberry Pi were on a UPS is should continue to work as at least a dumb system. But then wifi jammers exist so....

It is an interesting tech, but it does lack a lot of what a proper alarm system should have.

pretty simple thing to do tbh. The normal house alarm is just a really dumb UPS / Battery.

listermint wrote: »
    pretty simple thing to do tbh. The normal house alarm is just a really dumb UPS / Battery.

True, though I'd still worry about wifi jamming and also the lack of a backup comms channel and polling (not that my particular alarm has either of those too).

Though if you wanted there are ways too work those too. But then lots of moving parts and probably beyond most peoples abilities, but certainly fun for DIYers :D

bk wrote: »
    True, though I'd still worry about wifi jamming and also the lack of a backup comms channel and polling (not that my particular alarm has either of those too).

Though if you wanted there are ways too work those too. But then lots of moving parts and probably beyond most peoples abilities, but certainly fun for DIYers :D

It looks like they offer a UPS aswell for the alarm panel: https://konnected.io/products/backup-battery

I guess you could get 2 of them and use 1 for the alarm panel and 1 for the router & rPi?

Yes - here's there faq on the matter...
    https://docs.konnected.io/security-alarm-system/faq/backup-battery-and-wifi

I really cant believe that it doesnt just turn in to a normal alarm if the wifi goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

garion wrote: »

It has no siren connections or anything like that. It is also limited to 6 inputs, I would imgaune they will allow it to expand in the future though.

Also, no keypads, utterly reliant on your wifi

It's a nice idea, but has it's limitations

It has no siren connections or anything like that. It is also limited to 6 inputs, I would imgaune they will allow it to expand in the future though.

Also, no keypads, utterly reliant on your wifi

It's a nice idea, but has it's limitations

It has a siren connection/output

It is easily expandable way beyond the 6 inputs - just keep adding boards.

Its easily attached to a UPS, so is your wifi etc.

Keypad/pin entry offered via software/touch screen if needed

Entry/Exit timeouts available

...but yea, I'd like a fail safe where it still alarms if wifi down and can see future releases offering this, and wouldn't be too hard and just needs the wifi element further downstream.

• Advertisement

B-D-P-- wrote: »

Mind me asking which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

It has a siren connection/output

It is easily expandable way beyond the 6 inputs - just keep adding boards.

Its easily attached to a UPS, so is your wifi etc.

Keypad/pin entry offered via software/touch screen if needed

Entry/Exit timeouts available

...but yea, I'd like a fail safe where it still alarms if wifi down and can see future releases offering this, and wouldn't be too hard and just needs the wifi element further downstream.

If it has an external siren connections, then it does behave almost like an alarm, but still no keypads is a fairly big drawback.

As it stands, it's still not a bad idea, but lacking. Would be interested in the overall cost of a typical system by the time you out together all the required components to make it as robust as an alarm system.

apologies for reviving dead threads but...

I see Konnected now have an interface that works in parallel with the wired house alarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcY0dYuBQCo

did anyone ever install Konnected ?

apologies for reviving dead threads but...

I see Konnected now have an interface that works in parallel with the wired house alarm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcY0dYuBQCo

did anyone ever install Konnected ?

Someone over on the home security forum has ordered this new parallel Konnected system and is going to try and get it working with the HKC 812 panel.

I assume he hasn't gotten it yet, but well worth keeping an eye on:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058006828

Advertisement