Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for financial advice?

• 13-11-2018 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi,
    Having come through a tough few years, financially I have finally got back on my feet. In direct contrast to a few years ago, I now have a permanent job, a partner adding extra income and an extra house, + my own house (but paying far too little on mortgage repayments), and finally, savings that basically I don't know what to do with. (No debts bar the mortgage.)
    I have lots to sort out : mortgage(s)(2 houses now), pension, healthcare & young children's future, and I'm basically clueless as to how best to do it.
    I believe I need some independent, financial advice but do not know where to start looking.
    I understand no-promotions here but can people head me in a general direction as to where to even go to ask the questions?
    (Feeling ignorant but hopeful:)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Central Bank register.

Go for an Authorised Advisor (higher level of authorisation). Ask for a fee based consultation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Ask for a fee based consultation.

Good advice. Don't have the advisor dependant on selling you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

Thanks so much. I'll start there so!

Hi,
    I've finally got around to following this up. I've trawled through the Central Bank Register and can find only one advisor anywhere near me. I'm in the west of Ireland. I would like to shop around - surely there is more than one advisor in the west of Ireland (that's registered with the Central Bank.) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

I'm following this thread as I am also searching for a sound independent financial advisor in the West.
    That Central Bank register is not very user friendly.
    I've been looking at one company based in Galway, and I've been trying to get some reviews of them but finding nothing. They are listed on the Central Bank register (though I could only find them as I already knew their name and there is nothing there to even indicate that they are in Galway, which is not very helpful).

Any tips on where to find independent reviews on independent financial advisors?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

yasmina wrote: »
    I'm following this thread as I am also searching for a sound independent financial advisor in the West.
    That Central Bank register is not very user friendly.
    I've been looking at one company based in Galway, and I've been trying to get some reviews of them but finding nothing. They are listed on the Central Bank register (though I could only find them as I already knew their name and there is nothing there to even indicate that they are in Galway, which is not very helpful).

Any tips on where to find independent reviews on independent financial advisors?

You won't find any.

If you need a specific recommendation in Galway p.m. me. I know a couple of them.

Does anyone have any other suggestions regarding this, as I've contacted 2 of the Central Bank Register Companies and both work off commission, albeit several different companies.... I'm really not sure where to go from here for a Paid, independent service....??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭micar

https://brokersireland.ie/

What's the concern about brokers getting commission.

micar wrote: »
    https://brokersireland.ie/

What's the concern about brokers getting commission.

Well, my ignorant self would say that it's difficult to trust that you are getting independent advice about the market that's out there. One company I rang today , was reluctant to finally tell me they were only actually dealing with one bank when it came to mortgage advice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hi,
    Having come through a tough few years, financially I have finally got back on my feet. In direct contrast to a few years ago, I now have a permanent job, a partner adding extra income and an extra house, + my own house (but paying far too little on mortgage repayments), and finally, savings that basically I don't know what to do with. (No debts bar the mortgage.)
    I have lots to sort out : mortgage(s)(2 houses now), pension, healthcare & young children's future, and I'm basically clueless as to how best to do it.
    I believe I need some independent, financial advice but do not know where to start looking.
    I understand no-promotions here but can people head me in a general direction as to where to even go to ask the questions?
    (Feeling ignorant but hopeful:)
    Thanks.

Put all your details on AAM, you will get good advice there.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Put all your details on AAM, you will get good advice there.

AAM?
    What does this stand for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

You can search for Certified Financial Planners here: https://www.fpsb.ie/find-a-cfp/

As has already been advised, look for someone who is independent and not linked to a specific provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AAM?
    What does this stand for?

www.askaboutmoney.com

Advertisement