Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to the USA with US Spouse

• 13-11-2018 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

Heading to the US next week with my US spouse for a holiday. First time going since we got married. We both live and work in Ireland. Going through Dublin Airport pre-clearance. Anyone married to an American and been through on the VWP before with their spouse? Was there any issues proving you don't intend to stay, or any questions asked? I guess using the VWP is still the right way to go and not a visa, since we are only going for two weeks? I hope so! Going next week so its a bit late!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you think there may be complications, there is no obligation on you to mention that you have a US spouse. And if you're only going for two weeks, a visa would be OTT since ESTA approval will suffice for travel under the VWP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Same situation, with kids and no problems. Now, next flight will be first with pre clearance, but have had no issues stateside, have return tickets handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

coylemj wrote: »
    If you think there may be complications, there is no obligation on you to mention that you have a US spouse. And if you're only going for two weeks, a visa would be OTT since ESTA approval will suffice for travel under the VWP.

Spouse will be with me so will be hard to hide I imagine! We are visiting in-laws for thanksgiving. I figured visa would be OTT though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Spouse will be with me so will be hard to hide I imagine!

Your spouse is just another person in the queue. He or she could even join another queue, why do the US officials need to know that you are travelling together? You are travelling under the VWP in your own right and not relying on his/her US citizenship so there is no need for the two of you to present together.

I haven't done pre-clearance here for a few years but when I travelled to Chicago (from Heathrow) a few years ago, myself and a friend were on the same airline booking but we passed through immigration in Chicago in separate queues and none of the CBP officials asked either of us who we were travelling with.

coylemj wrote: »
    Your spouse is just another person in the queue. He or she could even join another queue, why do the US officials need to know that you are travelling together? You are travelling under the VWP in your own right and not relying on his/her US citizenship so there is no need for the two of you to present together.

I haven't done pre-clearance here for a few years but when I travelled to Chicago (from Heathrow) a few years ago, myself and a friend were on the same airline booking but we passed through immigration in Chicago in separate queues and none of the CBP officials asked either of us who we were travelling with.

You do have to tell them if you are travelling with family members if they ask and are meant to go to the desk together. A friend is different than a family member. A friend of mine traveled earlier this year with her husband and was their first time. They went to separate lines without realizing. She got yelled at and was told to go get him and bring him to the desk with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Same situation, with kids and no problems. Now, next flight will be first with pre clearance, but have had no issues stateside, have return tickets handy.

No need to have return tickets handy - they'll already have access to your API provided by the airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Have done it many times, never an issue.

pemtca wrote: »

Perfect, thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

pemtca wrote: »

We've done it countless times as well.

No worries OP! Enjoy your holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Go to the same desk and show your return tickets. Don't hide that you are married. You'll have no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Family units are supposed to present together.

Advertisement