Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 day ban from radio

Options
  • 13-11-2018 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

I received a one day ban from the radio forum, and I have no idea why. Apparently I have breached the charter. This was my comment:

"She's typical of the "tolerant" liberal types that make up 99 per cent of the media: Colette Browne, Kitty Holland etc. etc. They're very nice until you disagree with them. Then you're a racist, sexist misogynist[Insert favourite buzzword]"

People write these types of comments all the time. Why is that worthy of a ban?

The Mods on the radio forum are very selective in implementing forum rules. There are some posters (Who, how should I say, hold "correct" opinions) who constantly get away with insulting other posters. But when anyone hits back they are warned and eventually banned.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you asked the mod why?

Indeed did you read the ban message which refers you to this in-thread warning?
    pc7 wrote: »
    Mod Note

Having gone back over the last number of pages and handing out various warnings, enough is enough, most of you are here long enough to know the charter, if you can't remember I suggest having a reread of it. There will be no more warnings, it will be bans going forward from this point.

thanks PC7
    So have you complied with that warning and reread the forum charter? If you have and still do not believe the ban is warranted, have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod?

These are basic steps I would expect you to go through before starting a thread here

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you asked the mod why?

Indeed did you read the ban message which refers you to this in-thread warning?

So have you complied with that warning and reread the forum charter? If you have and still do not believe the ban is warranted, have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod?

These are basic steps I would expect you to go through before starting a thread here

Thanks

Yes I have. He said he was fine with me making a complaint. And yes, I had read that Mod warning and reread the charter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is a forum to appeal the mod action. Complaints are dealt with in Help Desk

I will alert the CMods that you are lodging an appeal

Beasty wrote: »
    This is a forum to appeal the mod action. Complaints are dealt with in Help Desk

I will alert the CMods that you are lodging an appeal

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hi Dick Swiveller,

I'll look into this for you. Can you post or forward me you pm exchange with the mod please? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Dick Swiveller,

I'll look into this for you. Can you post or forward me you pm exchange with the mod please? Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know how to do that??

I think I have it figured out.
    pc7 wrote:
    Dear Dick Swiveller,

You have been banned from Radio for one day for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

pc7

Moderator Note

As per mod note post #1849 on Ciara Kelly thread, enough. 1 day ban.

Your post:
    Uncharted wrote: »
    Agreed,a serious mis-step from producers in my opinion. It really grates to hear a "host" screeching at a contributor in such a tone.

Incredibly unprofessional and lacking any semblance of a debate.

Cackling Kelly is utterly appalling.

Her interview method is as follows...

.....Screech,screech,ask question,screech,screech,interrupt,cackle,interrupt,howl across interviewee with her own biased opinion,cackle,cackle,cackle........

She's typical of the "tolerant" liberal types that make up 99 per cent of the media: Colette Browne, Kitty Holland etc. etc. They're very nice until you disagree with them. Then you're a racist, sexist misogynist[Insert favourite buzzword]
    pc7 wrote:
    my mod note post 1849 below, you know the charter, I felt your post (especially after my warning breeched the charter)

Having gone back over the last number of pages and handing out various warnings, enough is enough, most of you are here long enough to know the charter, if you can't remember I suggest having a reread of it. There will be no more warnings, it will be bans going forward from this point.
    pc7 wrote:
    That's ok, there is a process there, I will work through that with you
    Regards
    PC7

These are my replies to the first two messages:
    Are you for real? What instruction did I ignore?
    Well, I'll be making a complaint because you are clearly abusing your power. My comment that you banned me for is written every day by other people. Am I being picked on in this forum? Yesterday I got a warning for calling the presenter a "moron". Hardly seriously abusive stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thanks

Okay, so I've reviewed this and I am upholding the ban.

In other circumstances I might have had a view more favourable to you, but the mod had just issued a warning less than 30 minutes earlier having reopened the thread that the gloves were coming off and that bans would be handed out. In the review of the thread before it was re-opened you were one of the users given a yellow card for abusing the presenter. Yes, calling someone a "moron" is abusive. As is calling them an "imbecile", which you did in another post earlier the same day.

The subsequent post that got you banned, while not abusive of the presenter, was in its tone and personal focus on the them contributing to the toxic atmosphere that resulted in the thread being locked shortly afterwards for the second time in 24 hours and multiple users (yourself included) being given short bans. It was a continuation of the kind of posting that had already gotten you two yellow cards in the last week, but which you don't seem to think is a problem.

The Radio forum has very strict rules about not attacking presenters and the thread in question has an explicit warning about not attacking presenters in its first post, so there's no excuse for this.

My decision is final but if you like I can ask an Admin to review.

Thanks

Okay, so I've reviewed this and I am upholding the ban.

In other circumstances I might have had a view more favourable to you, but the mod had just issued a warning less than 30 minutes earlier having reopened the thread that the gloves were coming off and that bans would be handed out. In the review of the thread before it was re-opened you were one of the users given a yellow card for abusing the presenter. Yes, calling someone a "moron" is abusive. As is calling them an "imbecile", which you did in another post earlier the same day.

The subsequent post that got you banned, while not abusive of the presenter, was in its tone and personal focus on the them contributing to the toxic atmosphere that resulted in the thread being locked shortly afterwards for the second time in 24 hours and multiple users (yourself included) being given short bans. It was a continuation of the kind of posting that had already gotten you two yellow cards in the last week, but which you don't seem to think is a problem.

The Radio forum has very strict rules about not attacking presenters and the thread in question has an explicit warning about not attacking presenters in its first post, so there's no excuse for this.

My decision is final but if you like I can ask an Admin to review.

I have no idea what this paragraph means. But no, I doubt there is much point in asking for it to be reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Considering the OP is not requesting an admin review, I'll close this off as being resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement