Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I stay or leave?

Options
  • 13-11-2018 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I've been living in Cork city for 2 years now. I started a new job about 3 months ago.It's a shift role encompasses both days and nights. I would normally not apply for a shift role. In fact I'd applied for a different role altogether but when I was offered an interviewed for the current role, I accepted anyway because of the lack of progression in my previous company and I knew had working experience in the role that was being offered. It was only at the interview that I was asked about working shift. I said I'd never done it before but was open-minded which was true. Cut to employment commencement, even before going on shift, I was beginning to develop reservations about the place. Now I'm on shift and I just about tolerate it. Initially I started looking up other vacancies immediately but later I resolved to stick with it for another 12 to 18 months as I plan on going travelling anyway. The base salary plus shift bonus are great resources for my savings.

While I was in my previous company, I came across my ideal dream role. In my sector, it's very rare to find this role in job vacancies because it's quite specific so it's usually absorbed into other roles within its parent department. I had to pass it up because it was based in Dublin. I used to live in Dublin before moving to Cork and I left for a couple of reasons; cost of living being one of them. Last week, the recruiter contacted me again and said the role was available again if I were still interested. I said yes without thinking too much of it and a few days later I secured an interview.

Now my dilemma is whether or not to move back to Dublin for a dream role (if I get the job) for one year and deal with the living cost, rent cost, temporary awkwardness of short notice or stay put, do the shift work for another year and save substantially for planned travels?

Thanks in advance :)

Do I stay in current job or to move for new one? 4 votes

Stay
    0% 0 votes
    Move
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think both options are fine.

What's more important to you right now - getting those savings up or being happy?

My gut feeling on this is get the saving up. I emigrated, traveled a lot, and I'm glad I had a big chunk of cash in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

What makes you happy?

I worked in roles that paid far more than I earn now but I hated the job.

The current job I am in is in another country. It is not as well paid as I was being paid in Ireland, however, I absolutely LOVE it.

I moved countries and jobs for a job that I love and a lifestyle that I like.

If you feel the job is something you would really enjoy, what difference does it make where you are ????

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shine2018

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I think both options are fine.

What's more important to you right now - getting those savings up or being happy?

My gut feeling on this is get the saving up. I emigrated, traveled a lot, and I'm glad I had a big chunk of cash in the bank.

Being happy is more important to me. I’ve been saving properly the last few years so I’m not exactly starting from scratch. I’m actually gonna hit my initial target by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shine2018

NSAman wrote: »
    What makes you happy?

I worked in roles that paid far more than I earn now but I hated the job.

The current job I am in is in another country. It is not as well paid as I was being paid in Ireland, however, I absolutely LOVE it.

I moved countries and jobs for a job that I love and a lifestyle that I like.

If you feel the job is something you would really enjoy, what difference does it make where you are ????

Well I have a history with Dublin. Like I said in my OP, I had my reasons for moving out. Those reasons still hold but now that I’ve lived away for a while, I can meander around them so they won’t hold me back really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GemmaOG

Don't work somewhere that doesn't make you happy or feel like your contributing to your own personal & career development, your time is precious don't spend more time than you like just for a wage. If you really have a passion for your dream job you'll make it work in Dublin. I know it's hard but there's always ways around it and worst case scenario it doesn't pan out the just go back to the drawing board, with no commitments such as children or a mortgage makes this do-able.

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow and they'll replace you no problem. Be there for you and love what you do!

Best of luck, my situation is similar to yours and I'm just tired of saying "what if".

• Advertisement
Advertisement