Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

England won't have any extra games, as a Nations League semi-finalist they'll automatically be in a 5 team group for the Euro qualifiers.
    And they won't have any additional time away either - the semi-finals and final will take place on the same dates that everyone else (in the 6-team groups) is playing Euro2020 qualifiers.

Right, ok, thanks for the clarification. Rant over, I'll go stick my head back under a pillow on the couch. Cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sofa Spud wrote: »

Is this not another competition, separate from qualification? I know results can impact seeding for the qualifiers, but regardless, they will still be playing in June. I know it's just 2 games, just grinds my gears a bit that they can't have a decent break and I've really had it with internationals. And a killer hangover that's making me a bit grumpy today....

Sorry, yes, you're right - what I was saying only applies to the 2nd tier downwards... the top tier have to play regardless.

As the other chap said though, they don't impact the number of games at least.

More confidence boosting stuff for our lads... Shaqiri with 2 assists (so far) in their pretty remarkable comeback over Belgium.

<edit> brilliant bit of football from him in the buildup to their 5th too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shaqiri is mustard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What did Lovern say?

"I elbowed him (Ramos) good. Haha! 3-2! Go ahead and talk now buddy. They are a bunch of p******. Now to beat England and walk out like a boss."

Then Croatia gets relegated. Sometimes less is more. Reminds me of Courtois. He wouldn't shut up either. Do your talking on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

.red. wrote: »
    We still haven't even spent the Coutinho money!

I'm not sure we even got all of it yet. As we paid €70M+ for a defender and goalie I'm sure the cheque's in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/46207267

Never knew the beach ball goal should have been disallowed. Can we have our points back?

Mingolet memories too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Kirby wrote: »
    "I elbowed him (Ramos) good. Haha! 3-2! Go ahead and talk now buddy. They are a bunch of p******. Now to beat England and walk out like a boss."

Then Croatia gets relegated. Sometimes less is more. Reminds me of Courtois. He wouldn't shut up either. Do your talking on the pitch.

Every single time Lovren opens his mouth to gloat or call himself the best something bad happens the following week , he needs to shut up .

I'm actually a huge fan of his and think he's one of the best centre back in the Prem (which isn't hard) , but he needs to learn to be humble ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Every single time Lovren opens his mouth to gloat or call himself the best something bad happens the following week , he needs to shut up .

I'm actually a huge fan of his and think he's one of the best centre back in the Prem (which isn't hard) , but he needs to learn to be humble ,

This isn't actually true.

He spoke before and after nearly all of our CL games last year, and Croatia's WC games, and he reached the final of both.

This thing about his talk always backfiring is greatly exaggerated, if even just straight up wrong.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »

He spoke before and after nearly all of our CL games last year, and Croatia's WC games, and he reached the final of both.

This thing about his talk always backfiring is greatly exaggerated, if even just straight up wrong.

maybe its a memory thing but I recall him before both finals before the spurs game last year and just last week talking to the press an d over stating himself,

I like the guy and think he is right to have confidence just don't say it on camera so much ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He lost both games conceding 8 goals.
    He said after Spain
    Now To Beat England And Walk Out Like A Boss

He lost again. Not exaggerated at all.
    Klopp will probably have a word with him after Dalic has.

He is the 3rd best CB at Liverpool.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He said after Spain .

Agree bar the last bit he is the second best, People need to give Gomez time ,
    He is showing huge promise but he isn't better than Lovren at the moment although it is close ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Nah, Gomez >>>>> Lovern even with the relative inexperience of the former. When Lovern plays (beside VVD) there remains a small sense of uncertainty. When Gomez plays (with VVD) there's a reassuring sense of solidity. Lovern is close to Mignolet and Moreno in terms of lack of reliability. There's been TOO MANY goals conceded directly attributable to his mistakes and lack of positional awareness for me to ever feel really comfortable when he's playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

He might be the third best centre back at the club but he's still rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

SM01 wrote: »
    Nah, Gomez >>>>> Lovern even with the relative inexperience of the former. When Lovern plays (beside VVD) there remains a small sense of uncertainty. When Gomez plays (with VVD) there's a reassuring sense of solidity. Lovern is close to Mignolet and Moreno in terms of lack of reliability. There's been TOO MANY goals conceded directly attributable to his mistakes and lack of positional awareness for me to ever feel really comfortable when he's playing.

Vvd has made mistakes too, that post about liverpool fans and gordon Ramsey is very accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Vvd has made mistakes too, that post about liverpool fans and gordon Ramsey is very accurate

All players make mistakes. Nobody is infallible. I believe the rate of lovern's errors is too high for him to be considered a first team player if we have ambitions to win the league at a time when City are setting such high standards. Your post suggests there's some hysteria (a la Ramsey meme) in what i wrote. You may want to re-read it again so if you think what i wrote was in any way harsh. He's grand as a back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He said after Spain .

Before Roma and City games he was talking as well. Everyone goes into despair, he plays well and we go through.

There's literally no correlation either way. Him talking doesn't automatically ensure a bad performance in the next game.

For better or worse, he's constantly talking. Neither Liverpool or Croatia are constantly losing.

The hate he gets for something so trivial is baffling to me.

Before Roma and City games he was talking as well. Everyone goes into despair, he plays well and we go through.

There's literally no correlation either way. Him talking doesn't automatically ensure a bad performance in the next game.

For better or worse, he's constantly talking. Neither Liverpool or Croatia are constantly losing.

The hate he gets for something so trivial is baffling to me.

Obviously it doesn't ensure a bad performance.

But for a defender who is error prone to start acting on instagram or social media like he does is foolish that is the point.

No problem if he was a world class defender but he isn't.
    Was poor against England yesterday as well lack of pace is a huge problem for him.

Owl. wrote: »
    He might be the third best centre back at the club but he's still rubbish.

far from Rubbish, he'd start for any other Prem team bar possibly City,

Untied - YES
    Chelsea - YES (better than Luiz)
    Arsenal -YES
    Spurs - YES better than Vertonghen at this point ,
    City- Maybe not, but Stones isn't great and Kompany is always injured

far from Rubbish, he'd start for any other Prem team bar possibly City,

Untied - YES
    Chelsea - YES (better than Luiz)
    Arsenal -YES
    Spurs - YES better than Vertonghen at this point ,
    City- Maybe not, but Stones isn't great and Kompany is always injured

:confused:
    Vertonghen is Spurs best CB.

Wouldn't start for any on other top 6 club bar Arsenal. Maybe Man Utd.

• Advertisement

Lovern has improved a lot under Klopp. I would say he's number 2.

People are still scarred by him from previous seasons.

:confused:
    Vertonghen is Spurs best CB.

Wouldn't start for any on other top 6 club bar Arsenal. Maybe Man Utd.

Vertonghen has been going downhill for a season now,
    Luiz at Chelsea is not better than Dejan ,
    United maybe ? what kinda joke is that he'd play every game for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has Lovren made an on field mistake since the Spurs game for club or Country that cost a goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was at fault for letting City back into the game during the 4-3.

I think at this stage it’s more that the potential for a f*ck up is always there even if they are not as frequent. He can be solid but you know there’s a West Ham/Spurs dying to make an appearance.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Was at fault for letting City back into the game during the 4-3.

I think at this stage it’s more that the potential for a f*ck up is always there even if they are not as frequent. He can be solid but you know there’s a West Ham/Spurs dying to make an appearance.

He has been really really good since Spurs but he will never get the credit,
    The guy has his moment but so does VVD but with Lovren people like to forget the rest of the game, Against City he was amazing this season, VVD had a brain fart that should have cost us and it was quickly forgotten ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Has Lovren made an on field mistake since the Spurs game for club or Country that cost a goal?

Would rather have a front-footed defender trying to win the ball and making the odd mistake than the passive Matip type who will stand off and not make a glaring mistake but implicitly allow attacks to be sustained.

Obviously VVD trumps all, being so dominant in the air, fast over the turf and with a commanding presence. That's why Gomez probably works better as a sub-ordinate partner to VVD, than Lovren who may be trying to win the same balls as VVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I think in the bigger games it'll be Lovren partnering VVD with Gomez RB. Gomez won't offer too much attacking down the right but I it allows Klopp to tell Robertson to get forward as much as possible and VVD/Lovren/Gomez become more of a back three.

But for games not considered 'big' we'll see a rotation between TAA /Gomez at RB and Gomez/Lovren at CB with Matip getting the odd game when VVD is rested or we have injury problems.

Lovren is a much better defender than he's given credit for (beside his own self praise that he gives himself), I'll admit after the Spurs game last year I'd had enough but he has been great since then and him getting to play with VVD, Robertson, the improving TAA and Gomez and now he also has Alisson has obviously helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think most knew it was rubbish but the club have the mouthpiece on the Fabinho rumours.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabinho-going-nowhere-liverpools-pulisic-15437710

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

VVD makes it 2-2 in Netherlands' game.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    VVD makes it 2-2 in Netherlands' game.

Heroic stuff. Bloody good finish too!

The Brazil manager has confirmed Fun Bobby will start tomorrow after playing the full 90 minutes against Uruguay.

Reports in Germany that we are looking at Luka Jovic.

As are Munich & Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lovren is a liability. If he isn't making a noticeable error he is out of position or getting out-jumped in the box leading to a goal.

Obvious watching Liverpool last season opposition managers were going out of their way to target Lovren especially at set-pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7567145/a17fb3a9/virgil_troost_scheids.html

Van Dijk with the referee last night, who got a bit emotional after the final whistle.
    Last nights match was the first match Hategan was in charge off since his mom died recently

Edit:

Apparently, the ref had heard during half time his mom had passed away :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I like Lovren, he does everything fairly well. I don't think that he's ever had a settled partnership in defence, or a rock solid keeper behind him. I think it was during this time that he made highly visible mistakes.

Now I wouldn't expect to see it as there is a settled system, an amazing partner that he can fully trust, a keeper he can trust, full backs he can trust, and a midfield that he can rely on.
    He wont be worrying about covering for others now.

So Lovren is only any good if he is protected by the other 10 players on the pitch?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that when he trusts the players around him he can concentrate on his game rather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Reports in Germany that we are looking at Luka Jovic.

As are Munich & Barca.

45million release clause,if we could get 20million sterling for origi how bad.Falling sterling must make a big difference in those kind of deals,salaries etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Is your hair better then Mo's - Yes. No it isnt. Absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

inforfun wrote: »

Van Dijk with the referee last night, who got a bit emotional after the final whistle.
    Last nights match was the first match Hategan was in charge off since his mom died recently

Edit:

Jesus thats rough. How did he continue to officiate !!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Jesus thats rough. How did he continue to officiate !!?

I am the first to criticise referees but even without knowing this, i though he had done a good job.

Wasnt the toughest match to referee but there are many refs capable to fcuk up even the most easy matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I am the first to criticise referees but even without knowing this, i though he had done a good job.

Wasnt the toughest match to referee but there are many refs capable to fcuk up even the most easy matches.

yeah, im just wondering how he got through it knowing his mom had died. fair play to him. Thats really really tough.

Liverpool's latest signing NordVPN

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1064806100636176384?s=20

To launch the partnership, NordVPN will be offering Reds fans a 30-day money back guarantee for new customers signing up at nordvpn.com/LFC, and a special offer on protection for three years at the equivalent of $2.99 per month

They didn't hang around adding the Sir.

cIajGQO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Is your hair better then Mo's - Yes. No it isnt. Absolutely brilliant

Love the guy, here's his worldie from last night in case you missed it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2HOEAKMiE
    Love a good volley...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Edit:

Everybody knew we were buying a good, solid defender with Virgil, maybe over payed by £20m but that was the price and Klopp was willing to pay it.
    I don't think people realised just how good he was tho, and not just his footballing ability. He oozes class from every pore. He's a leader of men and that clip shows he also has a compassionate side. The guy is a beast on the pitch and seems like an absolute gentleman off it.
    If we could get another centre half, guaranteed to be as good as him for £100m in January every supported would be screaming to get the deal done.
    He has to be made captain for next season. I can't see anybody looking to Henderson when Virgil is on the pitch.

I really do love the guy if anyone hasn't already guessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great while I'm watching illegal streams of Liverpool matches I'll at least use the clubs official VPN partner to hide my traffic

I hope Standard Chartered staff are now fiddling the books and working with Iran while using NordVPN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Turns out Mbappe isn't eligible for the Golden Boy so Trent has a huge chance of winning it now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement