Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

7-0?! Did they lose players to red cards or something? That's embarrassing. Must check who they fielded.

edit - here we are

With Adam Lewis and Neco Williams also only deemed ready for the bench after their own international exertions, Critchley made eight alterations to his starting line-up and handed full U23 debuts to Ki-Jana Hoever, Rhys Williams and Luis Longstaff.

Very much a b side.

Luis Longstaff, he sounds like the illegitimate child of English and Spanish aristocrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Luis Longstaff, he sounds like the illegitimate child of English and Spanish aristocrats

Think he could have a different career in certain kind of movies if he doesnt make it as a footballer.

Speaking of mixed names i quite like FIDEL o'ROURKE who also plays for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No wonder he plays for a team that wears red :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Knex. wrote: »

Klopp was saying it's generally all mind games with the two of them, he did similar at Bayern apparently when he was with Dortmund, keep complementing us trying to make us big headed...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So, no injuries over the international break then? I haven't really been reading here and haven't seen any bad news elsewhere.

Watford away is always a tricky type of game for us, but we've gotten much better at them in the last year or so. I'm hoping that while obviously winning is the big thing, we can look a bit more fluid as well. I'd still take a scrappy 0-1 win though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Should be winning it.

Have to win it to keep pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its a tuff game that's for sure,i think the first goal is crucial

Spurs play Chelsea this weekend so a win will be huge and give us some breathing space on one of them ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Muahahaha wrote: »

"Meine dsipatcher says there is something wrong with deine kable...?"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Does Anyone Else Think That PEP Is One SNEEKY Slimy FCUCKER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Found this Anfield Review earlier today. Was my second game at Anfield. So many good memories. Thought I would share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Found this Anfield Review earlier today. Was my second game at Anfield. So many good memories. Thought I would share.

That the 3-1 win? Berger thumped one into the top corner. Ref got himself accused of all sorts because he pumped his fist when we scored but only because he'd played an advantage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

mosstin wrote: »
    That the 3-1 win? Berger thumped one into the top corner. Ref got himself accused of all sorts because he pumped his fist when we scored but only because he'd played an advantage?

Liverpool won 5-0. 2 goals from Ruddock and Fowler. One from Collymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

5starpool wrote: »
    So, no injuries over the international break then? I haven't really been reading here and haven't seen any bad news elsewhere.

Watford away is always a tricky type of game for us, but we've gotten much better at them in the last year or so. I'm hoping that while obviously winning is the big thing, we can look a bit more fluid as well. I'd still take a scrappy 0-1 win though.

This is the new mantra of a Liverpool supporter, we've been saying this for months seemingly

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Does Anyone Else Think That PEP Is One SNEEKY Slimy FCUCKER

I don't, but I can't speak for all fans!

Regards VVD, with this alleged Barca tax we have on our players if they wanted him then 250 million would be a starting point but swiftly rejected.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

I've seem Moreno Mignolet & Lovren linked to Barca over the last few months we'll be swimming in cash

You would wonder have Southampton put a Liverpool tax on sales to us after VVD.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

robwen wrote: »
    I've seem Moreno Mignolet & Lovren linked to Barca over the last few months we'll be swimming in cash

Except Barca put in a clause of their own. We need to pay them €90m to take Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is it €100m to open negotiations or just added onto the final price?

I just don’t see how it benefits us very much if it’s the latter. It just means they’ll try to sign only our best players for €101m or more. If the player wants to leave and Klopp allows it, they’ll go for whatever they normally would to a top club as long as it’s over €100m.

Look at this for an example: Barca want Firmino. They bid €30m, knowing they’ll have to pay another 100m to complete the transfer which would bring it up to €130m. Real Madrid offer €125m, let’s say it’s a relatively fair offer for Bobby (though I wouldn’t like to see him go for that, this is just an example). If FSG value him at €125m or lower and are happy to sell if Klopp is too, which bid are they going to accept, assuming the payment structure is identical? A good businessman isn’t going to leave €5m on the table just because the fans don’t like who the buyer is, especially when the businessman has no emotional attachment to the club he owns.

The tax is absolutely meaningless unless they want someone like Moreno and won’t settle for an alternative. If one of our star players want to go to Barca as badly as Coutinho did, they’ll get their move within 18 months by hook or by crook. And that Barca tax expires in 2020, so they just have to wait around 13 months if they want anyone else at the club that wouldn’t be worth €100m to them.

It seems like a clause that was put in to keep our fans happy more than anything, because it doesn’t really seem to offer us any protection if they come calling for one of our stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fieldog wrote: »
    You would wonder have Southampton put a Liverpool tax on sales to us after VVD.... :)

At the rate they're going, they'll be paying us to take their players, not the other way around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Is it €100m to open negotiations or just added onto the final price?

I just don’t see how it benefits us very much if it’s the latter. It just means they’ll try to sign only our best players for €101m or more. If the player wants to leave and Klopp allows it, they’ll go for whatever they normally would to a top club as long as it’s over €100m.

Look at this for an example: Barca want Firmino. They bid €30m, knowing they’ll have to pay another 100m to complete the transfer which would bring it up to €130m. Real Madrid offer €125m, let’s say it’s a relatively fair offer for Bobby (though I wouldn’t like to see him go for that, this is just an example). If FSG value him at €125m or lower and are happy to sell if Klopp is too, which bid are they going to accept, assuming the payment structure is identical? A good businessman isn’t going to leave €5m on the table just because the fans don’t like who the buyer is, especially when the businessman has no emotional attachment to the club he owns.

The tax is absolutely meaningless unless they want someone like Moreno and won’t settle for an alternative. If one of our star players want to go to Barca as badly as Coutinho did, they’ll get their move within 18 months by hook or by crook. And that Barca tax expires in 2020, so they just have to wait around 13 months if they want anyone else at the club that wouldn’t be worth €100m to them.

It seems like a clause that was put in to keep our fans happy more than anything, because it doesn’t really seem to offer us any protection if they come calling for one of our stars.

It's whatever fee is agreed plus the €100m

It makes no difference to anything really except that realistically anyway, Barca can't sign any of our players for a few years.
    There's not too many clubs that would be seen as a step up from Liverpool atm. Madrid, Barca and Man City would be but that just leaves Madrid and City if the clause is enforced. Juve and Munich, maybe but personally I'd class them as a side step. PSG are in a one team league. A top player would only join them for money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Mane agrees contract extension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sadio signed up until 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Football Leeks are on the case again - Lovren among those squirrelling away money from image rights with a company connected to Zdravko Mamic who is currently on the run from an arrest warrant.

https://www.nacional.hr/football-leaks-the-millions-of-dejan-lovren-and-mateo-kovacic-collected-in-mamics-swiss-company-investigated-for-gross-crimes/

I would assume most players have companies set up to deal with image rights etc as it is far more tax efficient than paying tax as an individual

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Mane agrees contract extension

Bloody great news.

robwen wrote: »

Imagine we got 105m for Moreno :pac:

.red. wrote: »
    It's whatever fee is agreed plus the €100m

It makes no difference to anything really except that realistically anyway, Barca can't sign any of our players for a few years.
    There's not too many clubs that would be seen as a step up from Liverpool atm. Madrid, Barca and Man City would be but that just leaves Madrid and City if the clause is enforced. Juve and Munich, maybe but personally I'd class them as a side step. PSG are in a one team league. A top player would only join them for money imo.

But they’ll just agree a lower fee knowing the tax is there? Essentially it’s just a €100m minimum fee for any player of ours. As I said, it’s great if they’re after a player well under that €100m valuation and simply must have him, but it means nothing for the top players at the club, the ones we want to keep the most. I’d agree that there aren’t many clubs that would be a step up from us right now, but that doesn’t have any impact on the benefits of this “Barca tax”, not that I can see anyway.

And it isn’t even a few years if they weren’t able to sign our players (but as I said, this tax doesn’t seem to offer any protection for our top players anyway), the clause expires in 2020, I’d assume that’d be the 1st of January 2020 given that Phil signed in a January window. A touch over 13 months, and they’re on equal footing with every other club.

Mo, Mane and Bobby all signed up until 2023 then. I know contracts don’t mean as much as they used to, but that’s marvellous business right there.

martyos121 wrote: »
    But they’ll just agree a lower fee knowing the tax is there?.

No they won't. If Liverpool say they want €100m for a player they will not agree to €30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Great news for Mane and having all 3 signed for the next 5 years.

As for that Barca tax, the way I understood it was 'the players market value + €100m'. So for example Mane would cost 180 odd million for Barca.

Great news with Sadio, nice to see, especially after the boos from his own countries' fans the other night when he missed a sitter, the poor lad was distraught after the match, even though they won...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No they won't. If Liverpool say they want €100m for a player they will not agree to €30m.

If Liverpool want €100m for a player they will definately accept €30m plus an additional €100m.

As said above this clause would only really mean Barca won't be signing any of our players for less than €100m, obviously the total amount which will be paid will be taken into account during any negotiations.

TitianGerm wrote: »

I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. This clause sets the floor at €100m. This isn’t some glitch in Football Manager, we know we’re getting an additional 100m and Barca know they’re paying it. Any initial deals will be adjusted to suit that.

If we gain €125m from selling Firmino to Madrid as a straight up transfer, Barca only need to bid €30m to gazump them. If FSG want to leave money on the table, that’s their own business, but the €30m bid would be more profitable for FSG to accept than a €125m bid from any other club, to continue with the example I’ve been using.

The only thing that could benefit us is if any of our big players have release clauses, but we don’t do those anymore. If Firmino still had his release clause from his previous contract, then it’d be more beneficial to us.

rgace wrote: »
    If Liverpool want €100m for a player they will definately accept €30m plus an additional €100m.

Lads it's not that complicated. Liverpool value a player at €100m they agree a price of €100m. Barcelona then pay the €100m agreed and the additional €100m as per the previous signed contract.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Great news for Mane and having all 3 signed for the next 5 years.

As for that Barca tax, the way I understood it was 'the players market value + €100m'. So for example Mane would cost 180 odd million for Barca.

If it’s the player’s market value plus €100m, that does change things, but I’ve not seen it reported as that anywhere. Who determines the market value anyway? Would it be a tribunal in that case?

Tribunals have nothing to do with transfer values of senior players.

As mentioned it's a bullsh1tty type clause that might appease a twit or three conceptually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Great news on Sadio. Who’s next in line for a contract? Tie Gomez and Gini down if not already done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sturridge,markovic,milner and moreno out in 2019
    Origi,lallana,clyne and matip out in 2020

For one reason or another none of the above might be signing new contracts with liverpool.Everyone else on longer contracts,you have to admit the club is being run well.

Sadio Mane finally has something to smile about :)

ripped from reddit

Klopp is under contract until 2022.

Van Dijk, Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Shaqiri, Firmino, Salah, Mane until 2023.
    Alisson until 2024.
    Ox and Gomez 2022.
    Trent, Robbo, Gini 2021 Robertson has a new deal before him at the moment. Not sure about the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One thing that clause does wonderfully is protect our non-world class players. Barca need to buy more than just a world class forward, same as everyone else. This protects against bids for the likes of Gómez, Lovren, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Robertson, Fabinho, Keita, Ox etc. Many of those guys at market value would be good buys for Barca, but if you’re beginning at 100m, they’ll just look elsewhere. It stops the conversations (and the overt Barca pressure we’re all too familiar with) before it ever starts.

Barca bought Suarez & Coutinho off us.....our non world class players to date haven't tickled their fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I didnt realise mane goal tally was as high.40 goals in 89 appearances for a player not playing as a striker and not on penalties is impressive.More so when you consider salahs success also in the same team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augeo wrote: »
    Barca bought Suarez & Coutinho off us.....our non world class players to date haven't tickled their fancy.

To be honest we haven’t had the players worth taking beyond our superstars. There’s been a gulf in quality as soon as you drop down. This is the first time in 10+ years we actually have a squad of quality in almost every position.

Over the past 2 windows Barca have bought 9 mid range price players, compared to only 2 big spends. They’ll be making a lot more of those in the near future too, and I for one am glad we’re insulated against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The fact that mane and firmino have signed new long term contracts and that we can now attract top class players is the biggest sign of progress under Klopp. The club is in a totally different place to when he took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We are reclaiming our status as one of the top clubs in Europe again, no surprise our best are committing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sadio Mane finally has something to smile about :)

ripped from reddit

Klopp is under contract until 2022.

Van Dijk, Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Shaqiri, Firmino, Salah, Mane until 2023.
    Alisson until 2024.
    Ox and Gomez 2022.
    Trent, Robbo, Gini 2021 Robertson has a new deal before him at the moment. Not sure about the rest.

Get Robbo, Trent and Gomez tied to extensions should be the next priority, all makes for excellent reading.

I'd also not be opposed to giving Milner another year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Give Milner a contract for life. That lad can stay as long as he likes!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Give Milner a contract for life. That lad can stay as long as he likes!
    I'd say he'll be at Leeds if they come up next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd say he'll be at Leeds if they come up next year.

Good shout, hate to see him go but wouldn't begrudge him the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lallana out injured again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Lallana out injured again.

Oh FFS.

I'm a huge fan of Lallana - and these injuries must be incredibly tough for him to take - but this is frustrating.

You'd really hope that we can add to the midfield in January or the summer as the two more attacking members (Lallana and Oxlade Chamberlain) are essentially unavailable for the majority of this season.

Ah that's it for me, no point in keeping him beyond January at this rate! But he'll be gone in June for sure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement