Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving in NI with Irish plate.

• 13-11-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have a question after a thing that happened last Sunday in Belfast.
    Had been driving in Ireland for 12 years, never had a trouble with other drivers (only two fines for speeding last one in 2014), actually I am very gentle, polite and calm when driving.

Unfortunately I am living now not so far from the border and for the third time I went to Belfast for shopping, all the three times there was someone that horn at me (in ROI is unusual), but last time a man did followed me for few streets, showing me the finger and flashing his lights, then overtook me and said a word starting with B, he was alone but I not got off from my car because I was with wife.

After that I had to park in a pay parking because was affraid of the possibility of someone scratching my car.
    The thing is that my car was not the only one with ROI plate that I saw that day. I am not sure if is because of the plate.
    Should I avoid going there with car next time or was something isolated and unusual?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'd be a regular up there myself for the past decade and haven't witnessed anything or been a victim of anything along those lines.

I do tend to avoid the north in July but after that never a problem.

It may be just a random pr1ck that you could just as easily meet in Dublin, Cork or Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I am a professional driver and I am in the north regularly with Irish plates. I think the drivers up there a far more courteous than south of the border. That's my experience over the last few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Fann Linn wrote: »

It may be just a random pr1ck that you could just as easily meet in Dublin, Cork or Galway.

Thanks I was thinking this was the case but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I drive in NI with southern plates all the time, and never a bother. Park where I like.

Except one time when a car with a bunch of young adults drove past me as I was parking and shouted "free stater traitor" as they sped off.

It was hilarious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

You didn't mistake the speed limit signs for km/h, I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Not unusual, just drive in Holland on German plates and it's the same, only take one clown to give a bad vibe

Also can be compounded with you easily being identifiable as not being local and taking up "their" parking spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Just roll down the window and bawl "See ye hi! Shut yer fuckan MOYTH!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

biko wrote: »
    I drive in NI with southern plates all the time, and never a bother. Park where I like.

Except one time when a car with a bunch of young adults drove past me as I was parking and shouted "free stater traitor" as they sped off.

It was hilarious :D

I had “tiocfaidh ár lá” shouted at me in Dublin once when driving on U.K. plates; I suspect they couldn’t have spelt it if I challenged them.

OP, if driving in general commercial areas in Belfast, I would find this unusual. Might there be any aspect your driving that they took offence at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

jimgoose wrote: »
    Just roll down the window and bawl "See ye hi! Shut yer fuckan MOYTH!!!"

"What about ye, go you up to that ah space or yil be talkin to the biys hai"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

OP, did you obtain your licence / learn to drive in Germany? (just a hunch judging by your written English and your username)

I usually find UK/NI drivers are a lot more competent than "ROI" drivers and have less tolerance for the stupidity that you would regularly see on our roads here.

Irish drivers are definitely a lot more tolerant and less aggressive towards the many clueless idiots we share the roads with down here. ie. Sitting in the overtaking lane, not indicating correctly around roundabouts, not merging properly etc.

Might have been worth asking him what aspect of your driving he took issue with exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Marcusm wrote: »
    I had “tiocfaidh ár lá” shouted at me in Dublin once when driving on U.K. plates; I suspect they couldn’t have spelt it if I challenged them.

OP, if driving in general commercial areas in Belfast, I would find this unusual. Might there be any aspect your driving that they took offence at?

Reminds me of one time passing through quite a republican village along the border years ago and seeing "CHUCKY AT LA" plastered on the side of a bus shelter.

Drive all around the North in a southern reg car daily and never any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I've driven in NI several times and even wild camped in the campervan without giving it a second thought.

Advertisement