Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessories for a new bike commuter - lights/gloves/helmet etc

Options
  • 13-11-2018 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I’ll soon be switching to a job where I can commute by bike. It’s about 10km each way, downhill on the way in, uphill home.

What should I be thinking of in terms of accessories? Which items can I scrimp on and where should I pay top dollar?

In particular, what brand lights are best and most reliable (street lights all the way, if that makes a difference)?

What helmet is recommended to balance the sweaty head / rain protection issue?

Keeping my hands warm will be a big issue - I find mittens much better than gloves but I’m guessing cycling in mittens isn’t recommended...

I don’t want to spend an absolute fortune but I am prepared to pay decent sums for better quality items.

Any other tips to make commuting sustainable and comfortable are welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

You'll just have to shop around. The internet generally beats local prices, but not always.
    The Bargains thread on here is a good place to start - decent lights at the mo from Rutland, for example. Very nice Sugoi RSE jackets on Sportpursuit.com (a perennial source of bike clothing). Aldi and Lidl sometimes have decent stuff - waterproof socks, merino tops, that sort of thing - check out the thread.

Helmets are not for rain protection. They are deliberately full of holes. Wear a waterproof hat or a hood underneath if it rains, or a cover on top.

Gloves are again a shop around issue. Sealskinz are quite waterproof, but can be claggy and hard to take off and put back on again. Lobster style gloves are common on bikes...Planet X do reasonable ones.

The big things are a jacket and comfy shorts (tights, really, in winter). Again, Sportpursuit are worth a look. Galibier.cc are also big hits on boards....

Right - the rest is up to you. Google is your friend...

Advertisement