Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E46 318ci

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thinking of getting one of these to do me for a year. I've searched but all the thread are a few years old now. Any opinions? Are they still a nice car to buy? Was looking at this one below

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-coupe-2-0-petrol-143bhp-with-nct-low-miles/20330104

Bit weird it has the newer engine but the older non facelift body... don’t suppose you’ve any interest in a2.5L 2003 facelift ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They upgraded the engines across the E46 range back in 2002 when the saloon and estate got the facelift. The coupe and convertible got the facelift in 2003 but still got the newer engines in 2002.

Biggest problem with the E46 is the subframe has a tendency to form cracks. It's a well documented problem with them and plenty of information about it on the internet including how to deal with it. Another common issue with BMWs of that era is the cooling system, they are a weak point. Given the car a good test drive to warm it up and check that the engine is not overheating, also remove the oil cap for signs of mayonnaise type gunk which could indicate the head gasket is fried. A new head gasket and skimming the engine block would bec costing you not much less than the asking price of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

MY ones rusted badly as well bits literally falling off and a host of other problems he says in the ad doesn't need it anymore yet is willing to swap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Bit weird it has the newer engine but the older non facelift body... don’t suppose you’ve any interest in a2.5L 2003 facelift ?

Ideally I'd love to buy off someone on boards and I'd love a straight 6 but would kill me on insurance unfortunately. Have had a look on bmw driver.net but forum seems dead.
    Philb76 wrote: »
    he says in the ad doesn't need it anymore yet is willing to swap

Yeah good shout didn't notice that. I only need it to last me a year so hopefully I can find something half decent. So things to look out for:

Rear sub frame - Is there any evidence of this during a test drive?
    Coolant system
    Expansion tank - I've heard this can have hairline cracks is it easy to spot?
    Electric window regulator can cause problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Ideally I'd love to buy off someone on boards and I'd love a straight 6 but would kill me on insurance unfortunately. Have had a look on bmw driver.net but forum seems dead.

Yeah good shout didn't notice that. I only need it to last me a year so hopefully I can find something half decent. So things to look out for:

Coolant system

Is the rear sub frame issues not exclusively from the M3 model?

Coil packs can be an issue too, although they aren't too difficult and can be done DIY. For some, an issue is the actual power. The E46 is a heavy unit and while 143 bhp sounds decent it's not that powerful. Feels far more at home once reaching a cruising speed. Also, on both mine, the handbrake's were issue, where they would soften and need tightening(careful parking on an inclination).

As mentioned, if possible, try to go for the 6 cylinder model. It would be my only regret from purchasing an E46 coupe. I still have a '04 M-Sport 318ci sitting up idle at home, and while i love the shape and economy of my current E92 M-Sport 320D, I miss by petrol buddy..........just wish it was a 6 cylinder!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Timing chains can give probs happened to a friends he changed it himself and still has the car to this day

Have you priced up insurance on the 318ci and 325ci? The sub frame issue were allegedly sorted around 2002/03 iirc. I used to post on bmwdriver net. Haven’t gone near it in ages ...

Is there a reason you only want to keep it a year ?

Coolant system

In terms of the coolant. Wait til engine is hot and system under pressure. If it’s losing coolant quickly , it should be pretty apparent then. Those tanks cracking are are common enough issue. Just order one from eBay from uk for cheap so that if it goes , you can swap it immediately...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gtturbokid

Rear subframe if it's a problem you should be able to hear it on test drive i.e when changing from 1st to 2nd gear if you hear a clunk noise from the rear that should indicate subframe problems of rear diff mount bushings worn, the e46 models tend to rust on front arches and rear the odd time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That one has been for sale for a while. Saw it advertised back in July.

• Advertisement
Advertisement