Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone XS Max Applecare + or Gadget insurance

Options
  • 14-11-2018 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for people's input. I recently purchased phone insurance for my phone €12.75pm. I've never purchased Applecare for a phone before. I have ab9ut 5 days left to purchase it. My question is

1. Should I just keep my phone insurance and not bother with Applecare

2. Cancel phone insurance for Applecare instead?

What do you do normally when you get a new phone? Do you purchase phone insurance or Applecare?

Thanks for your input
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People here wlll definitely recommend Apple Care but I personally don’t bother with either.

I don’t believe in spending €153 to insure a device worth about €1300. It’s crazy money when you think of other insurance like car insurance etc. Then you hear lots of stories about claims being difficult, excesses, admin costs etc.

I also don’t bother with Apple care either as I think it’s very expensive and think if you’re worried about something happening to the phone then put money aside.

What is the worst can happen nowadays? Phone is waterproof so accidental damage to the screen is the worst case scenario and less likely with toughened screens (view drop test videos on You Tube) and a good case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Applecare is great if you cannot be without your phone and avail of their replacement phone service. i.e. They send you a new phone and you send your broken one back to them. Extra cost though.

Other than that, unless you're a serial screen-breaker, it seems kinda pricy. With Applecare I'd pay €200 (cost + excess) to get my XR screen replaced, without Applecare the cost is €221. I'll take my chances that I don't break my screen as I've only ever broke one since owning a 3G.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    What is the worst can happen nowadays? Phone is waterproof so accidental damage to the screen is the worst case scenario and less likely with toughened screens (view drop test videos on You Tube) and a good case.
    Indeed - now the phones are toilet-proof there's one less reason to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I'd be in the buy neither camp. Insurance should only be to cover events that would literally bankrupt you if they were to occur: i.e. liability for a car accident, your house burning down, a life limiting injury or illness that requires private medical care.

For all other instances, you should just pay out of pocket yourself. If you really must have some kind of cntengency for when you lose / break your phone, why not create a savings account that you put money into instead of paying for insurance.

For example:
    You currently pay 153 euros a year for insurance. If you break your phone screen in two years time you will have 300 euros ready to replace the screen. If you don't break it, You will have 300 euros off your next phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you break your screen it’s €329 to fix.
    Back glass ? €599.
    AppleCare covers you for 2 years so worth it in my
    Opinion.
    It all depends on how careful you are with your phone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Some bank accounts have phone insurance included as a perk, for example, Ulster Bank Ufirst accounts have this, you register your device on their portal and if you need to make a claim its a €95 excess AFAIK.

Don't think they provide a replacement phone during the repair though if that matters to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Blazer wrote: »
    If you break your screen it’s €329 to fix.
    Back glass ? €599.
    AppleCare covers you for 2 years so worth it in my
    Opinion.
    It all depends on how careful you are with your phone really.

Yup - its all about the likelihood of your phone breaking.

For example, should you break your screen + back glass, that's ~1000 euros. (https://support.apple.com/en-ie/iphone/repair/service/pricing)

If you break both, then your total cost of repair can be calculated as the applecare charge and the repair service charge (230 + 130 = 360) + the insurance.

Without insurance, the repair costs 1000 euro - or 640 euros more.

If you were betting, you would be placing a 230 euro bet that your phone will break inside a 2 year period, at ~2/1 (actually 11/6) odds. For this to make sense as a bet, you need to believe that there is more than a 1/3 chance of you breaking the Screen and back of your phone in a 2 year period.

(P.S. I'm open to correction on this!)

murpho999 wrote: »
    People here wlll definitely recommend Apple Care but I personally don’t bother with either.

I don’t believe in spending €153 to insure a device worth about €1300. It’s crazy money when you think of other insurance like car insurance etc. Then you hear lots of stories about claims being difficult, excesses, admin costs etc.

I also don’t bother with Apple care either as I think it’s very expensive and think if you’re worried about something happening to the phone then put money aside.

The most reason I have insurance is loss or theft, screens etc are expansive but I’d have no comfort with an expensive phone worth over 1k that could get lost on the first night out with it. I had my iPhone 6 for 4 years and lost it, paid insurance for the 4 years but got an iPhone 6s as a replacement insurance for 4 years plus excess will pretty much be covered by selling the as new 6s when I want to upgrade. So all in I was pretty happy to have the insurance and a new phone out to me in only a few days. No issue at all with the claim, rang the insurance on a Sunday and had a new phone the following Monday, delayed by my own slowness in getting details together.

As AppleCare doesn’t cover loss it’s a lot of money for a product missing the most important cover imo so gadget insurance for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭geminiman63

Hi Everyone

These seem to be good value for phone insurance,

https://www.mobilephoneinsurancedirect.ie

Came across them while looking for my brother who has a new phone and sadly any phone he buys seem to come to a tragic end ........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hi Everyone

These seem to be good value for phone insurance,

https://www.mobilephoneinsurancedirect.ie

Came across them while looking for my brother who has a new phone and sadly any phone he buys seem to come to a tragic end ........

in house repairs? Not a frakking chance for any apple product.

As for theft cover? Who's the crowd that three use and they use the below as an excuse to weasel out of cover.

Theft or loss of the device, from any mode of public transport whilst left unattended.
    Theft or loss of the device, left unattended when it is away from your home.

Blazer wrote: »

As for theft cover? Who's the crowd that three use and they use the below as an excuse to weasel out of cover.

Theft or loss of the device, from any mode of public transport whilst left unattended.
    Theft or loss of the device, left unattended when it is away from your home.

Read your insurance terms and conditions and make sure your claim is within them is the best advice you can give on that.

Coincidently I’ve heard 3 staff coaching people on what to say when making a claim in the past (I’ve never been with 3 but I was with a friend in the shop once when they were reporting a lost phone) so it’s common enough knowledge I reckon to be careful with what you say when claiming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement