Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Alibaba - Help Needed!!

Options
  • 14-11-2018 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I am importing a cosignment of 30ml plastic cups from China.

The supplier has said the products are ready to be shipped and emailed to ask...

"Yes the cup will be delivery to you who are the consignee, and we just need the notify party to declare at customs that you can got your goods. The notify party is very important for the B/L. Do you have forwarder? You should consult him."

"B/L is the paper you can pick up your goods.

It means a document which evidences a contract of carriage by sea and the taking over or loading of the goods by the carrier, and by which the carrier undertakes to deliver the goods against surrender of the document."

I have no "notify party" as of yet. How do I arrange this? What is required of me here? (I am based in Dublin).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

I am importing a cosignment of 30ml plastic cups from China.

The supplier has said the products are ready to be shipped and emailed to ask...

"Yes the cup will be delivery to you who are the consignee, and we just need the notify party to declare at customs that you can got your goods. The notify party is very important for the B/L. Do you have forwarder? You should consult him."

"B/L is the paper you can pick up your goods.

It means a document which evidences a contract of carriage by sea and the taking over or loading of the goods by the carrier, and by which the carrier undertakes to deliver the goods against surrender of the document."

I have no "notify party" as of yet. How do I arrange this? What is required of me here? (I am based in Dublin).

Thanks in advance!

Good morning.

Let there be no panic. Instruct your supplier to show notify party: " same as consignee".

That is sufficient for now and buys you time to select a customs broker prior to arrival of the goods.

I have the following questions that may be important;

1. What Incoterms have you agreed with your supplier?
    2. Is this a full container load (e.g. 20' or 40' container) or is this Less than Container Load.
    3. In case of LCL STOP the process!! Reason is you are likely to end up with significant costs on arrival.
    4. Have you worked out the customs classification and duty rate payable? I estimate that the rate of duty is 6.5% payable over the value of the goods plus Ocean freight cost. If you need assistance with this PM me.

So, no panic. I can help you through the process. However, it is always best to take charge of the shipping process. That is the surest way to avoid problems and unexpected fees. That is my advice to all on boards.ie

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Would echo what Rudolf has said..

Also I saw your post on the other thread about ordering 150,000 cups.. that seems like quite a lot when you don’t know the full costs.. Do you already have a buyer lined up for these or are you buying speculatively?

As packaging is a very competitive market with very low margins.. I’ve done a good bit of business with big packaging companies and they are very cost conscious, with the money being made on massive volumes rather than margin.. Any profit you expect to make could quite easily be wiped out by unexpected charges from the shipping agent in Dublin

Advertisement