Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club 92 / Blinkers RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Plenty of older people have been there in recent years as after the summer concert/race nights it was usually opened and free in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah, Club '92, the most totally illogical place for a nightclub ive ever known, baltic cold queuing to get in, almost impossible to get a taxi outside it in the mid 90s which for me meant a 3.5 mile walk home at stupid A.M.

The night would usually start in Bolands of Stillorgan or the dear departed Deerpark Lounge in Clonskeagh with no intention of goin' dancin', but maybe Hollywood Nights would be full, or Club Sarah or Faces too far for some of the lads and so we'd fetch up to Leopardstown, eat some of the crap food on offer and reload for the last few hours of the night in knackery-dooo

Simpler times and savage craic. Including human racing over the chase course in the dead of night and sleeping on the 7th fairway of the golf centre.

South Dublin used to have a busy enough weekend scene, once upon a time. If you're 20 yo now and want to have a pints in a spot with some music then go dancing, other than town where do they go???

Larbre34 wrote: »
    South Dublin used to have a busy enough weekend scene, once upon a time. If you're 20 yo now and want to have a pints in a spot with some music then go dancing, other than town where do they go???

Fill up in Weatherspoons and Dart in to town. There is nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Larbre34 wrote: »
    knackery-dooo
    never understood how that nickname took off, I never saw or heard of any scumbags going there. More like "Club how do you do?" in a posh voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    never understood how that nickname took off, I never saw or heard of any scumbags going there. More like "Club how do you do?" in a posh voice.

Didgeridoo is what I heard more the knackery doo

Then again it was always the club of love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aegir wrote: »

That's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Aegir wrote: »

Dalkey fri and saturday night, it's pretty bad though

Dalkey fri and saturday night, it's pretty bad though

Is the club/disco still going at the Queens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Not sure, it was open during the summer anyway. Will be open xmas eve. Only ever busy on rare occasions and I'm getting a bit old for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Kip. Wont miss it

• Advertisement

The Mig wrote: »
    Kip. Wont miss it

There’s always one

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Not sure, it was open during the summer anyway. Will be open xmas eve. Only ever busy on rare occasions and I'm getting a bit old for it.

you must be some age :D It was definitely a more seasoned crowd in there when I stuck my head in a few weeks ago. Carrying on like youngsters mind :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

ted1 wrote: »
    There’s always one

Hardly the only one now who’s not gonna miss it now Ted.
    Spent a lot of my early 20’s(29 now) up there as it was the handiest place where everyone gets in without any hassle from bouncers. Been up there about 7/8 times in the last 2 years and it’s gone to the dogs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Spent a lot of my early 20’s(29 now) up there as it was the handiest place where everyone gets in without any hassle from bouncers. Been up there about 7/8 times in the last 2 years and it’s gone to the dogs.

at 29 you're too old tbh.

Ended up there probably 3 years ago when a mate moved home from london.
    We were hammered, but still felt the age (32). My brother at that time was 26 felt too old!

You’ve just got older, but havevyiu not great memories of your 20’s there?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Great memories up there, it has been years. Started going when I was 17 til mid twenties, from 17-20 was the best which was early 2000's. The young ones now will never you know the great nights that were to be had then. Also a thing which seemed to die out,the suburb pubs were buzzing at the weekends, blackrock for example is dead now, anyone frequent the Ass and Cart back in the day or The Wicked Wolf? The Palace was another spot that was good for a while before that went downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Thestones wrote: »
    Great memories up there, it has been years. Started going when I was 17 til mid twenties, from 17-20 was the best which was early 2000's. The young ones now will never you know the great nights that were to be had then. Also a thing which seemed to die out,the suburb pubs were buzzing at the weekends, blackrock for example is dead now, anyone frequent the Ass and Cart back in the day or The Wicked Wolf? The Palace was another spot that was good for a while before that went downhill.

The population of twenty somethings is no longer there. Almost every house in leopardstown, stillorgan, kilmacud, foxrock and dundrum/ballaly had young adults in the house and taxis into and out of the city were rare.

Hence there was great pub/club life in the area (followed by breakfast in stillorgan bowl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

The population of twenty somethings is no longer there. Almost every house in leopardstown, stillorgan, kilmacud, foxrock and dundrum/ballaly had young adults in the house and taxis into and out of the city were rare.

Hence there was great pub/club life in the area (followed by breakfast in stillorgan bowl)

That’s the thing every one was the same age +or - 3 years
    Huge populations and great times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

When I first moved to Dublin in the 90s, I lived in Leopardstown and we used to go to Club 92 a lot - great place! I haven't been there since about 1998 though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Used to live across the way in Foxrock Village for a time.. could not understand for the life of me how a nightclub could survive across the way in the racecourse.

Most illogical location for a night club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

lawred2 wrote: »
    Used to live across the way in Foxrock Village for a time.. could not understand for the life of me how a nightclub could survive across the way in the racecourse.

Add Jets (back of Dublin Airport) and Nijinskys (arse end of the curragh) to weird locations that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

lawred2 wrote: »

Well, erm, when I was going there the general method of travel was one that might not be, ahem, acceptable nowadays (bear in mind I'm 51 now)! On a good night the car park would be almost full to the gate. Walking out was a game of Russian Roulette in itself.

Advertisement