Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upsetting childcare situation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

shesty wrote: »
    On the other extreme, I have had to hold off toilet training my two year old due to the same builders and now I am freaking out slightly that I will have missed the window for it with her and I have damaged her somehow.

Don't waste a second thinking you've missed the window to toilet train or damage her, having toilet trained loads of toddlers over the years I would like to reassure you that delaying it because of circumstances will not damage her, in fact when you do toilet train chances are it will be easier and quicker. That's been my experience and the experience of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

OP ideally you should have moved her earlier but don't waste another moment beating yourself up over it, just put that childminder behind you and hopefully you will get a place with the other childminder.

I'd recommend getting your daughter checked by her gp to rule out any underlying health issue. How old was she when she was toilet trained, did it take long, once toilet trained up until she started with this childminder how frequent were her occasional accidents and did they increase once she started with her, is she ever constipated, does she fully empty her bladder when she goes to the toilet sometimes after holding on the urethra doesn't relax fully so she might not fully empty her bladder but shortly after she's back playing and relaxed she wets herself? The answers to these questions would be useful for gp plus how much does she drink and how often.

If no underlying medical issue found and the problem continues then it could be beneficial to see the Public Health Nurse at the Enuresis clinic.

If the frequency of accidents has increased since she started with the childminder once the stress of it is gone hopefully she'll be back to herself in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

She may have taken on too much minding up to 6 kids. Also cant b easy to do that and have 1 child wetting a lot. It is frustrating and time consuming.
    The comment about tv on a lot in childminders is petty.
    How do you know? Have you addressed it in the past?
    Tbh if your child is wetting themselves that much at 4 then maybe a gp visit is in order.
    I think sometimes to keep life moving on and to facilitate work/stress /whatever some people will settle for almost anyone to look after their kid.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think sometimes to keep life moving on and to facilitate work/stress /whatever some people will settle for almost anyone to look after their kid.
    The child-minder in this case was not ideal, and not a good fit for the Op's kid, but she's hardly Rosemary West. Once she's had a bit of a tv detox and a restart on toilet training the kid will be grand. No sense in making the OP feel any worse than she does already.

A lot of creche's and childminders have waiting lists - especially the reputable ones. If you've got to work and no handy relatives sitting at home to mind a child you may have to go with what's available while waiting on a place in a better childcare option.

Advertisement