Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Bank Account when abroad

Options
  • 14-11-2018 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, 
    Since 2008 ( when I left Northern Ireland )I kept Bank Account just in case returning back and received one bank statement every year (that was my request at my local branch in Derry before leave)
    Throughout these years I had one yearly bank statement and that was it. Now since probably June 2018 I started receiving bank statemets directly from Dublin ROI monthly ( before they came from Northern Ireland ). Is there any way to switch back that to one yearly bank statement by 365 online service or any other way without presonally coming to ROI/NI?UK? I live in Poland and my verified address is Polish. I also wonder how to close my Bank Account as I kept 27.08 Pounds balance on this acount and account can't be closed automatically without my authorization as last October 2018 Terms and Condition says that to closing account automatically bank account needs to be inactive for 12 months and balance should be no more than 10 euro ) I wrote message through my 365online service about my bank account and received info that my account is currently inactive. How this account can be inactive as at the same time I am receiving bank statement every month since June 2018?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi acine,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today.
    If there is no activity on the account, the account may become inactive. By activity we mean customer generated credits or debits.

Even though you are receiving a message saying that your account is inactive you should still be able to send an Ask a Question request through your 365online to change the frequency of your statements.

To close your account you can call into your local branch with ID or send a letter to your account holding branch with a certified copy of your passport, a proof of address, your account details, a contact number and your signature.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 7 acine

Hi acine,

To close your account you can call into your local branch with ID or send a letter to your account holding branch with a certified copy of your passport, a proof of address, your account details, a contact number and your signature.

Thanks,

Lorna
    Thanks for a quick answer Lorna,
    As I am planing to close my bank account from abroad ( Poland ) I need a double check what I need to send in paper to my branch to close the account.
    Certified copy of my passport is not a problem but can you assure me that as a proof of my address a driver license is enough - as in driver licence address is clearly stated. In Poland our ID's have no address (so we can be technically homeless and still have our ID's)?

So 
    in your opinion
    if I provide in my letter to my branch:
    -request of closing bank account
    -certified copy of my passport
    -certified copy of my driver licence with my current address
    -certified copy of my ID (with no address as we have no such on our ID's ! )
    -my account details
    -my Polish mobile number and email
    -my hand written signature

that should be ok to my request being processed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

acine wrote: »
    As I am planing to close my bank account from abroad ( Poland ) I need a double check what I need to send in paper to my branch to close the account.
    Certified copy of my passport is not a problem but can you assure me that as a proof of my address a driver license is enough - as in driver licence address is clearly stated. In Poland our ID's have no address (so we can be technically homeless and still have our ID's)?

So 
    in your opinion
    -my account details

Hi acine,

Thanks for coming back to us here.

When requesting to close your account from abroad we would recommend that you send a written instruction with a certified copy of your passport and one proof of address, along with your account details, your contact number and email address.

This will be sufficient enough to close the account. 

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen 

So 
    in your opinion
    -my account details

Hi acine,

Thanks for coming back to us here.

When requesting to close your account from abroad we would recommend that you send a written instruction with a certified copy of your passport and one proof of address, along with your account details, your contact number and email address.

This will be sufficient enough to close the account. 

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen 
    Hi Jen, thanks for reply.
    Just a quick question
    who should certify passport? ( what instiutions do that in UK or ROI ? )
    I suspect one big cost for that procedure  - ceftification of my passport and driver licence ( as address proof). What happened if I just send a letter with request of closing my bank account and copy ( not certified ) of passport, driver licence and all detailes of my account with my hand written signature? Such request will not be proceed? 

Another important question. As I know that certain requests ( such as asking for second/doubled bank statement ) can cost us extra fee. I would like to know if request of asking for sending in paper letter form confirmation from the bank of closing account would generate some cost for me? Is such letter issued on demand of customer can generate fee or in the case of closing account is provided free as a standard option?

Thanks in advance.
    acine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi Jen, thanks for reply.
    Just a quick question
    who should certify passport? ( what instiutions do that in UK or ROI ? )
    I suspect one big cost for that procedure  - ceftification of my passport and driver licence ( as address proof). What happened if I just send a letter with request of closing my bank account and copy ( not certified ) of passport, driver licence and all detailes of my account with my hand written signature? Such request will not be proceed? 

Another important question. As I know that certain requests ( such as asking for second/doubled bank statement ) can cost us extra fee. I would like to know if request of asking for sending in paper letter form confirmation from the bank of closing account would generate some cost for me? Is such letter issued on demand of customer can generate fee or in the case of closing account is provided free as a standard option?

Thanks in advance.
    acine

Hi acine,

Thanks for coming back to us. The Local Police Authority or a solicitor can certify the passport and proof of address for you. Yes without the copy of proof of address and Photo Id the request to close the account would not be acted on.

When the account is closed a closing statement is issued to postal address provided on the proof of address given by you. There is no additional fee for this statement being issued to you.

Thanks again
    Jen

• Advertisement

Hello again,
    I am closer to completing all documentation ( I have certified copy of my passport and as a addres proof certified copy of my driver licence by notary ) to close my bank account from abroad ( Poland ).
    I know  that  a balance on my bank account needs to be cleared before the Bank will accept my request/wish to close my bank account. I have a balance of 27.08 pound and through my 356 online service I can't transfer that amount to any other account - that option is inactive. So the only option for me is sending a letter with advising my branch what to do with the funds. I will send a request of closing my bank account ( alongside with certified copy of my passport and driver licence and all personal details ) with my wish to transfer my balance to my friend's Bank of Ireland bank account but as a second option in case of any problems with such transfer I would like to request issuing a bank draft payable on my name and sending me on my verified Polish address. The question I have is. Is a draft bank a kind of cashier's check? if yes how much I would be charged ( fees ) for issuing such check in British Pound Sterling as I have bank account in Nortern Ireland. I asked such questions through my 365 online service but responses seem to be quite "generic", thats why I ask here.
    Thank You.

Hi,
     from Bank of Ireland website:
    "Bank Draft
    A bank draft is a cheque guaranteed by Bank of Ireland. It is a convenient way to pay a large sum of money, such as for a car. The minimum amount for a bank draft is €500. You will need to have the money in your account to pay for the draft on the day you purchase it. Bank drafts are liable for a Government Duty charge."

so that means this option to sending remaning balance is not available for me

is there any other option to clear my balance 27.08 to close my bank account?
    can I make instruction to the Bank just to transfer that balance to any charity of Bank of Ireland's choice?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hello again,
    I am closer to completing all documentation ( I have certified copy of my passport and as a addres proof certified copy of my driver licence by notary ) to close my bank account from abroad ( Poland ).
    I know  that  a balance on my bank account needs to be cleared before the Bank will accept my request/wish to close my bank account. I have a balance of 27.08 pound and through my 356 online service I can't transfer that amount to any other account - that option is inactive. So the only option for me is sending a letter with advising my branch what to do with the funds. I will send a request of closing my bank account ( alongside with certified copy of my passport and driver licence and all personal details ) with my wish to transfer my balance to my friend's Bank of Ireland bank account but as a second option in case of any problems with such transfer I would like to request issuing a bank draft payable on my name and sending me on my verified Polish address. The question I have is. Is a draft bank a kind of cashier's check? if yes how much I would be charged ( fees ) for issuing such check in British Pound Sterling as I have bank account in Nortern Ireland. I asked such questions through my 365 online service but responses seem to be quite "generic", thats why I ask here.
    Thank You.

Thanks for getting back to us, I can confirm that there would be no charge for the Sterling Draft if you decide to have the remaining balance sent out to you in this way.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Hello again,
    I know that a balance on my bank account needs to be cleared before the Bank will accept my request/wish to close my bank account. I have a balance of 27.08 pound and through my 356 online service I can't transfer that amount to any other account - that option is inactive. So the only option for me is sending a letter with advising my branch what to do with the funds. I will send a request of closing my bank account ( alongside with certified copy of my passport and driver licence and all personal details ) with my wish to transfer my balance to my friend's Bank of Ireland bank account but as a second option in case of any problems with such transfer I would like to request issuing a bank draft payable on my name and sending me on my verified Polish address. The question I have is. Is a draft bank a kind of cashier's check? if yes how much I would be charged ( fees ) for issuing such check in British Pound Sterling as I have bank account in Nortern Ireland. I asked such questions through my 365 online service but responses seem to be quite "generic", thats why I ask here.
    Thank You.

Thanks for getting back to us, I can confirm that there would be no charge for the Sterling Draft if you decide to have the remaining balance sent out to you in this way.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi Darren,
    thanks for reply
    just to clarify, I would be not charged for request of such draft check made payable on my name? Bank of Ireland website states something different ( minimum amount of the bank draft -500 Euro/or equivalent of that amount in British Sterling) but I know that Banks sometimes try to make some procedures easier for a customer and handles things in not a standard way.
    What about a charity? can I make such request? I just want to close my bank account and thanks my bank for all these years of cooperation but dont really know what to do with that remaining balance to be cleared properly.

Hello again,
    I know  that  a balance on my bank account needs to be cleared before the Bank will accept my request/wish to close my bank account. I have a balance of 27.08 pound and through my 356 online service I can't transfer that amount to any other account - that option is inactive. So the only option for me is sending a letter with advising my branch what to do with the funds. I will send a request of closing my bank account ( alongside with certified copy of my passport and driver licence and all personal details ) with my wish to transfer my balance to my friend's Bank of Ireland bank account but as a second option in case of any problems with such transfer I would like to request issuing a bank draft payable on my name and sending me on my verified Polish address. The question I have is. Is a draft bank a kind of cashier's check? if yes how much I would be charged ( fees ) for issuing such check in British Pound Sterling as I have bank account in Nortern Ireland. I asked such questions through my 365 online service but responses seem to be quite "generic", thats why I ask here.
    Thank You.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi Darren,
    thanks for reply
    just to clarify, I would be not charged for request of such draft check made payable on my name? Bank of Ireland website states something different ( minimum amount of the bank draft -500 Euro/or equivalent of that amount in British Sterling) but I know that Banks sometimes try to make some procedures easier for a customer  and handles things in not a standard way.
    What about a charity? can I make such request? I just want to close my bank account and thanks my bank for all these years of cooperation but dont really know what to do with that remaining balance to be cleared properly.

The parts of the website that you are quoting in this message would be in relation to Euro accounts held within the Republic of Ireland. As you have said that you hold your account in Sterling in Derry these would not apply to you and the funds could be sent out to you in a draft with no charge.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement

this is a response I got today about sterling draft through my 365online:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]"Looking at your account, there is currently a balance of £27.08.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]The account will only be able to be closed when you advise us to close it and explain what you want done with the funds.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]There would be no charge to transfer to another sterling bank account, and there may be charges incurred with issuing a draft    or transferring to your account in Poland.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]You can contact us directly on 0345 7365 555 to discuss further.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Please let us know if we can help with anything else.[/font][font=times new roman, serif]"[/font]
    so I am not 100% sure about sterling draft...

I am probably choosing the option with transfer funds to my friend's Bank of Ireland sterling bank account. I just want to be sure because I dont live in ROI/NI/UK for over 9 years and even forgot some language that I underestand these "technical" terms corectly. ----"There would be no charge to transfer to another sterling bank account" ----means I can kindly request in written instruction to transfer remainning balance to my friend's BoI account? or this has to be a sterling bank account on my name? Because I dont live in NI for over 9 years ( I actually left in 2009, not 2008 - that was my bad typo ) I dont have any sterling bank account ( but I can open one in Poland but this probably doesnt count as it would be a foreign one ) and need to be sure that transfering my balance to my friend's bank account ( or any other sterling bank account for that matter in UK/NI ) is not a problem for the Bank. I dont want to send couple of times a certified copy of passport and all documents  to my branch because this whole process is costly  ( certified copy of a passport by notary needs to be even translated by sworn translator -and thats an extra cost ) and this is why I ask so many questions concerning closing my bank account properly here. 

acine

this is a response I got today about sterling draft through my 365online:

[font=Arial, sans-serif]"Looking at your account, there is currently a balance of £27.08.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]The account will only be able to be closed when you advise us to close it and explain what you want done with the funds.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]There would be no charge to transfer to another sterling bank account, and there may be charges incurred with issuing a draft    or transferring to your account in Poland.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]You can contact us directly on 0345 7365 555 to discuss further.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Please let us know if we can help with anything else.[/font][font=times new roman, serif]"[/font]
    so I am not 100% sure about sterling draft...

I am probably choosing the option with transfer funds to my friend's Bank of Ireland sterling bank account. I just want to be sure because I dont live in ROI/NI/UK for over 9 years and even forgot some language that I underestand these "technical" terms corectly. ----"There would be no charge to transfer to another sterling bank account" ----means I can kindly request in written instruction to transfer remainning balance to my friend's BoI account? or this has to be a sterling bank account on my name? Because I dont live in NI for over 9 years ( I actually left in 2009, not 2008 - that was my bad typo ) I dont have any sterling bank account ( but I can open one in Poland but this probably doesnt count as it would be a foreign one ) and need to be sure that transfering my balance to my friend's bank account ( or any other sterling bank account for that matter in UK/NI ) is not a problem for the Bank. I dont want to send couple of times a certified copy of passport and all documents  to my branch because this whole process is costly  ( certified copy of a passport by notary needs to be even translated by sworn translator -and thats an extra cost ) and this is why I ask so many questions concerning closing my bank account properly here. 

acine

Thanks for getting back to us.
    You can transfer to a friends account without charge once it is held in sterling within the UK. There would be a charge to transfer the funds outside the UK.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement