Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chat thread for Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Prunty wrote: »
    Also, if ordering from the UK and delivering straight to Ireland you get charged vat at the EU wide 23% rate but if you order to a virtual address vat is at 20% - the UK rate. Doesn't make much odds for small orders but anything over 200 quid or so would be worth paying for the virtual address delivery charge as opposed to the additional 3% vat.

Well this is news to me. So anything over 200 odd send to parcel motel I guess? once it's not a large item anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Would there be anything cheaper that may be effective or would you have to to that level?

Anything cheaper than that will be fairly useless. I've tried many times and in the end just bought a pair a 200 euro Sony's.

i know two ppl have spent significantly less on sonys and they weren't bad at all but couldnt tell you the exact model

but still in or around 100 quid mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Currently looking at tvs in Currys, looking at getting one in the North as there is €50 in the difference, one question, would the same model that is sold in the north be able to pick up saorview?
    This is the TV in question
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue49nu7100-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10178407-pdt.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Pangea wrote: »
    Currently looking at tvs in Currys, looking at getting one in the North as there is €50 in the difference, one question, would the same model that is sold in the north be able to pick up saorview?
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue49nu7100-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10178407-pdt.html

That will deliver Saorview without issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

If anything goes pear shaped with TV afaik you will have to return to north to get it sorted, for sake of 50 euro I’d buy down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

mad m wrote: »
    If anything goes pear shaped with TV afaik you will have to return to north to get it sorted, for sake of 50 euro I’d buy down here.

Well Curry's in Enniskillen is as near to me as my nearest Curry's in the ' South' (Lettekenny) so the distance isn't an issue for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Well this is news to me. So anything over 200 odd send to parcel motel I guess? once it's not a large item anyway.

Don't use addresspal anyhow

Addresspal are useless if it goes missing

Amazon don't have any systems in place to arrange a return through addresspal,they couldn't print an Irish return label recently for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Most of the deals are live already for Black Friday for brick and mortar electrical retailers. Black Friday discounts will more so be reacting to competitors. Would not be surprised if stock runs out by Friday on certain items.
    If your planning on going to stores on Friday. I’d go Thursday instead. If the price does drop. Just go back in and chance your arm.
    Best deals are to be had on Samsung TVs. LG don’t have many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Identical TV in Curry's down here so Saorview compliant.

It's also available for £449 at Richer Sounds Belfast, with a six year guarantee.

£200 = £205 with irish vat

Parcel motel fee is £3.51

For the sake of saving £1.49 you have the potential downfall of having to return an item at your own cost.

For me, I choose an RoI address every time if it's an option - even on £300 items.

For the sake of saving £1.49 you have the potential downfall of having to return an item at your own cost.

For me, I choose an RoI address every time if it's an option - even on £300 items.

Definitely

Addresspal is only for items like power banks and stuff

That's the way they setup the service with their €40 insurance and small sizes and customer service is crappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thomyokk wrote: »
    Don't use addresspal anyhow

Addresspal are useless if it goes missing

Amazon don't have any systems in place to arrange a return through addresspal,they couldn't print an Irish return label recently for me.

You need to contact Amazon customer service and they'll let you drop it off at the nearest AnPost. That's what I did with Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

And you add the risk of having to deal with two couriers and amazon about an in-transit damage. Sure amazon have great CS, sure those things don't happen that often, but receiving a parcel with broken contents could quickly spiral into a Kafkaesque story if the two courier companies blamed each other for the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Doge wrote: »
    Camel Camel Camel doesn't alert you on or track deal of the day prices.

Should be good outside of those though.

I stand corrected. :o

Its working with deal of the day reductions now.

This wasn't the case last year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

You might as well pay the Irish VAT. Remember folks, it has to pay for our Gardai, our nurses and our teachers.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    You need to contact Amazon customer service and they'll let you drop it off at the nearest AnPost. That's what I did with Parcel Motel.

They couldn't ,system wouldn't allow it

I tried with 2 agents

Ended up u I pay for a courier and they refund me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Does anyone know if the 4k Fire TV stick in the USA is the same as the one that we get from Amazon UK? i.e if I pick one up in the USA, will it work okay in Ireland?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Prunty wrote: »
    Just a note for people about orders from amazon.co.uk in case they weren't aware.

The amazon conversion rate isn't as good as your bank's rate so you're as well to pay in sterling.

Also, if ordering from the UK and delivering straight to Ireland you get charged vat at the EU wide 23% rate but if you order to a virtual address vat is at 20% - the UK rate. Doesn't make much odds for small orders but anything over 200 quid or so would be worth paying for the virtual address delivery charge as opposed to the additional 3% vat.

The Brits could use the extra revenue as well before Brexit kicks in and they start foraging for food and fighting over insulin.

Be aware of the T&Cs for the forwarding services such as PM, PW AddressPal etc.
    Insurance cover is quite low, so with PM you would need additional insurance. AP only cover €40. AP have a massive list of prohibited articles, so anything with batteries in it is prohibited, including power banks, power packs, phones, tablets etc.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Would there be anything cheaper that may be effective or would you have to to that level?

If you want good noise cancelling then don't cheap out. All those cheap NC headphone's you see on Amazon are mostly rubbish. Sony has a good pair, the CH700N. I think there's money off on Amazon at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

whiterebel wrote: »
    Be aware of the T&Cs for the forwarding services such as PM, PW AddressPal etc.
    Insurance cover is quite low, so with PM you would need additional insurance. AP only cover €40. AP have a massive list of prohibited articles, so anything with batteries in it is prohibited, including power banks, power packs, phones, tablets etc.

I bought a phone off amazon yesterday to addresspal because it wouldnt ship here or PM. am i screwed now? Has anyone got one of those items listed above as prohibited through addresspal? ive actually never used it before im normally a parcel motel user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

I bought a phone off amazon yesterday to addresspal because it wouldnt ship here or PM. am i screwed now? Has anyone got one of those items listed above as prohibited through addresspal? ive actually never used it before im normally a parcel motel user.

Iv shipped batteries with AP a few times and I have picked up the box with a big battery sticker on it. They don't care.

bromley52 wrote: »
    Iv shipped batteries with AP a few times and I have picked up the box with a big battery sticker on it. They don't care.

Thanks a lot, ill risk it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

I ordered an Anker Powerbank a few months ago and had it shipped to Addresspal and there was no bother at all with it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wouldn't worry about AddressPal... probably ordered 3 - 4 power banks to them and arrived here without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Great deals on Seiko watches at the moment. Decent selection of €100-€300 value watches. How did Amazon know I was looking to buy one and was about to buy one last week! Will probably get 2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

It's really only air travel that they can't post them, but most amazon deliveries to Ireland are by truck from the UK, so I don't know why they can post them normally.

I met the postman this morning on the way to work, and I apologized for all the Amazon orders this week, Amazon as typical have split up every delivery, even with the group option selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

i dont think the issue is AP taking them. Its if anything goes wrong from AP to you you're screwed.

Basq wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about AddressPal... probably ordered 3 - 4 power banks to them and arrived here without issue.

El Basqo the smuggler strikes again! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

A lot of misinformation in this thread, and little to no mention of using revolt. Using revolt and parcelmotel or revolt and an Irish address (depending on shipping) always works out cheaper.

If I need to return something I just get the UK returns label and drop it up to Newry. I sent a mirror back a few months ago that was smashed to pieces, no issues from amazon after it was sent to my PM address.

Regarding mobile phones, they do ship to PM etc. As I only bought the Huawei mate 20 pro on preorder direct from amazon and it shipped to PM, more than likely its whoever you're purchasing the phone from won't ship to PM

It defo doesn't ship to Parcel motel, i use PM and Amazon constantly so im not messing up here. The phone is dispatched from and sold by amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCRL4HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

doesnt ship to ireland or UK northern ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭chonix

Etnies wrote: »
    A lot of misinformation in this thread, and little to no mention of using revolt. Using revolt and parcelmotel or revolt and an Irish address (depending on shipping) always works out cheaper.

If I need to return something I just get the UK returns label and drop it up to Newry. I sent a mirror back a few months ago that was smashed to pieces, no issues from amazon after it was sent to my PM address.

Regarding mobile phones, they do ship to PM etc. As I only bought the Huawei mate 20 pro on preorder direct from amazon and it shipped to PM, more than likely its whoever you're purchasing the phone from won't ship to PM
    Bought phones using Parcel Motel and also Addresspal on 2017 and 2018 from Amazon UK. No issues so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It defo doesn't ship to Parcel motel, i use PM and Amazon constantly so im not messing up here. The phone is dispatched from and sold by amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCRL4HQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

doesnt ship to ireland or UK northern ireland.

I think some of the alternatives to parcel motel use a UK address as opposed to a NI address. They might be worth a look.

yes thats what i used, address pal, with a UK address. But someone mentioned you cant send phones through it initially so i got worried until people mentioned they done it with no issues.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Take out the basket and line the bottom with a slight lip around the edge and just change it regularly and it makes cleaning easy, ALDI degreaser spray is handy
    Cooking times vary depending on size of the sausages and chips
    For jumbo sausages it’s abiut 8 minutes on 180 for me in the philips xl
    Full chicken done in 50 minutes is my favorite at the moment

Is it the basket or the pan that you line ?

The basket has holes in bottom for air circulation I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

Does anyone have an idea why certain Amazon blu-rays don't ship to Ireland anymore?
    Specifically looking at Black Panther and Infinity War. Any ideas?

If anyone has a work aroudn too it would be very appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

ThePott wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea why certain Amazon blu-rays don't ship to Ireland anymore?

Never been an issue for me and I buy a lot of physical media. Are the sellers in both cases Amazon? Some 3rd part sellers don't ship here, but I've never had an issue - and the majority of my choices would be more niche, foreign/World Cinema titles - I'm shocked those more popular titles won't ship?

Wow, I just checked Black Panther and you're correct......I'd contact customer services. That has to be a glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

Never been an issue for me and I buy a lot of physical media. Are the sellers in both cases Amazon? Some 3rd part sellers don't ship here, but I've never had an issue - and the majority of my choices would be more niche, foreign/World Cinema titles - I'm shocked those more popular titles won't ship?

Wow, I just checked Black Panther and you're correct......I'd contact customer services. That has to be a glitch.

I was shocked too, I've bought plenty of physical media from them in the past even previous MCU movies which now seem to not ship to Ireland either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

There's an option to get infinity war delivered here, sold by a 3rd party seller and fulfilled by amazon, but can't see that option for BP.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-Infinity-War-Blu-ray-2018/dp/B07JFY6PRN/ref=tmm_blu_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1542802373&sr=8-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Some do - some don't. It's very strange.

HAs anyone ever ordered a bottle of whiskey through parcel motel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is it the basket or the pan that you line ?

The basket has holes in bottom for air circulation I presume

I have the Philips airfryer and we started placing some in the bottom of the basket but noticed that the food wasn't cooking as well. Looked it up and it's not recommended to do anything like this, as it blocks the circulation of the air. Stopped doing it and it's been much better at cooking since.

Has anyone ever returned anything back to Amazon.de / Germany?

Do you have to pay shipping yourself or will they do it for you?

The MotoG5S Plus I bought I'd faulty, it kept rebooting randomly when setting it up and now it won't even turn on after afactory reset!

Annoying as it was a birthday present.

• Advertisement

So basically you print a return slip and ship the package back via a post or whoever.
    Tracked shipments are preferred and they will refund you upto 11 euro of the shipment cost.

Although some people managed to get refunded over 11 euro of the cost of shipping it back.

I have the Philips airfryer and we started placing some in the bottom of the basket but noticed that the food wasn't cooking as well. Looked it up and it's not recommended to do anything like this, as it blocks the circulation of the air. Stopped doing it and it's been much better at cooking since.

Thanks

What about the bottom of the pan?

Do you clean basket after every use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks

What about the bottom of the pan?

Do you clean basket after every use?

Sorry I meant the pan when I said basket. We've never lined the wire basket. Depends on what we cook, but we usually end up cleaning it after every 3/4 uses.

Sorry I meant the pan when I said basket. We've never lined the wire basket. Depends on what we cook, but we usually end up cleaning it after every 3/4 uses.

Thanks

I think I'll skip the tin foil so

Some do - some don't. It's very strange.

HAs anyone ever ordered a bottle of whiskey through parcel motel?

I did with parcel wizard last year, it got through fine but others weren't as lucky.
    If its caught it'll be "destroyed".
    Were you looking at the laphroaig?

• Advertisement
Advertisement