Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitchen Lockdown Presses and Drawers

• 14-11-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭

Ok the house is on lockdown and Junior is figuring out how to open the Kitchen doors so time to go into Lock down

Was in woodies and saw the below

https://www.woodies.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=baby+lock

The sliding cabinet lock won’t do and the safety catches some of them have to be screwed into the door. The Adhesive ones look good but maybe not for drawers (cutlery) etc

Are there any other locks that can be recommended that does not involve screwing anything into the drawer

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

I used the following I got in Tesco. They stick on and have them now nearly three years and no problems.
    Because you have to press button at top and bottom of the latch my two can't manage to open them.
    Only problem I can see is removing them as they stick really well. Also the plastic between both latches bends so can be used on single corner units too.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273712460

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Must get some plugs for the sockets soon.. A man we done a first aid course said the greatest thing you can use is a hair bobble. Now that woud be if the handles are across from eachother

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ikea do ones that either stick or screw.
    We are bad parents, only locked one press with the treats in and just put all cleaning mamterials etc high up and out of reach...and locked bathroom presses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I've used these and they work well. Especially for awkward presses and drawers where you can't get your fingers in to un-click a catch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabyDan-Magnetic-Drawer-Cupboard-Lock/dp/B005COYZDW/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1542209533&sr=1-3&keywords=BabyDan+Adhesive+Magnetic+Lock

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Milly33 wrote: »
    Must get some plugs for the sockets soon.. A man we done a first aid course said the greatest thing you can use is a hair bobble. Now that woud be if the handles are across from eachother

Socket plugs are a hazard and aren't recommended. Sockets have built in safety shutters anyway so there's little need for them.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5039454/Electrical-socket-safety-covers-are-absurd-and-dangerous-say-engineers.html

• Advertisement

Yep sorry after asking around i see they would be pointless the socket plugs... So your dead right.. We are kinda the same as you Shesty not putting anything on the cupboards trying to teach her what she can and cant go at.. haha she says hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Never bothered. They need to be taught what's safe and what isn't. The safety stuff looks awful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lazygal wrote: »
    Never bothered. They need to be taught what's safe and what isn't. The safety stuff looks awful too.

This^^

Kids are not dumb, just teach them right from wrong. I have all my audio and tech equipment open and near floor level in the living room. Kids were explained not to interfere with them. And, they never have.

Same with the kitchen and drawers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

jester77 wrote: »
    This^^

Kids are not dumb, just teach them right from wrong. I have all my audio and tech equipment open and near floor level in the living room. Kids were explained not to interfere with them. And, they never have.

Same with the kitchen and drawers.

Depends on the presses. My little boy had been able to open our presses since he was 9 months. How do you explain to a 9 month old they are not to do something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ours opened the presses too. We kept telling them no and just moved anything genuinely unsafe higher up. Hate those door safety locks. Never used any of this baby proof stuff and no accidents so far.

• Advertisement

Yep just tell them no and pull them away from the press enough times. they will get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ours are pretty good for staying away from what they are told (eg. we've never installed stair gates) , but it's the tupperware press and the detergents that we have locks on.
    With the tupperware is more for sanity than safety.
    We used the magnetic ones, no screws, and they work really well.
    Although the (v Nearly) 2yr old had just figured out how to turn on the gas hob :eek:, so we might need to increase security soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It’s not accidents I’m concerned about. It’s having everything pulled out of the presses multiple times a day. we have one press left with no locks that’s just tea towels. He could spend half an hour opening and closing the door and pulling everything out.

What magnetic ones did you get DavyD_83? Sure Bee that would keep them entertained for ages haha...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Unfortunately bee that's just how you teach them...keep removing him before he gets to the pulling out point.It's headwrecking but at 9 mo ths you have to accompany your words with an action like that for them to eventually understand.
    The alternative is to either give him a press of his "own" he can open and close as he likes, or else let him keep doing it til he loses interest.

Milly33 wrote: »
    What magnetic ones did you get DavyD_83? Sure Bee that would keep them entertained for ages haha...

The ones we have are pretty much identical to these

Cosy Angel Child & Baby Safety Magnetic Cupboard Locks, Set 10 Locks + 2 Keys, Magnetic Adhesive Lock for Drawers, Kitchen Cabinets, Protect Your Kids & Toddlers, No Screws or Drilling https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C9WT3Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nWi9BbDV97GGJ

We actually have them on 2 drawers that are full of craft stuff as well, it stops the kids getting out the paper, glitter and markers and spreading them all over the sitting room constantly, but allows is too keep them nearby and accessible to us :)

Thanks DavyD_83 might keep them in mind if we do go down that route.. Oh god Glitter would be a nightmare, imagine if they found the glue to go with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Moved the tupperware and plastic things to a low cupboard and gave her free reign over it. She wasn't interested in the others after that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

BeardySi wrote: »
    Moved the tupperware and plastic things to a low cupboard and gave her free reign over it. She wasn't interested in the others after that.

we did this too and even though he would pull out all the plastic bowls, cups etc, we started to show him how to put them back and after a while he learned to tidy it up again & put them all back! He's not interested in the other doors now!
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    The ones we have are pretty much identical to these

Cosy Angel Child & Baby Safety Magnetic Cupboard Locks, Set 10 Locks + 2 Keys, Magnetic Adhesive Lock for Drawers, Kitchen Cabinets, Protect Your Kids & Toddlers, No Screws or Drilling https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C9WT3Z6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nWi9BbDV97GGJ

We actually have them on 2 drawers that are full of craft stuff as well, it stops the kids getting out the paper, glitter and markers and spreading them all over the sitting room constantly, but allows is too keep them nearby and accessible to us :)

Ordered this and works a treat and Junior getting frustrated when trying to open them. Not sure how durable they are but so far so good

• Advertisement

Ordered this and works a treat and Junior getting frustrated when trying to open them. Not sure how durable they are but so far so good

My 4year old has now realised if she pulls hard enough they will open. But 2yr old still thinks they're unbreakable :)

I never expected them to stand up to a direct attack, and they're still enough on an inconvenience to keep them away from detergents etc. Don't mind them learning the hard way that anything else doesn't taste nice or whatever

Advertisement