Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed-term rent renewal

Options
  • 14-11-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,
    I'm reaching out to you about a fixed-term rent suggestion. I have been renting an apartment in Ranelagh since January 2015 with tenancy correctly registered with PRTB.

Since I started renting the apartment in 2015, I secured it for 4 years, meaning fixed-term would expire in January 2019, according to

This [1] link states I should claim a Part 4 tenancy if I wish to stay in the property, by sending a letter between 3 months and 1 month before the expiry of fixed term tenancy, that I did last week: is this enough on my side? Is my right as tenant to stay in the property unless landlord would like to end the tenancy (that should also be sent in writing)? Would I have to sign a new contract in case landlord is ok to continue renting the apartment with me?

[1] http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

Please let me know if you need any further information.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

The letter is all you need to do on your end; you are not obligated to sign a new fixed-term lease if you don't want to, and you can remain in the property unless the landlord has sent you a valid notice of termination. A fixed-term lease *can* provide you with more security of tenure than Part 4, as a landlord can't generally break a fixed term lease even for the allowed Part 4 reasons, but it also obligates you to remain in the property for the duration of the term (or to arrange another tenant to sublet or assign the lease to).

Note that your original Part 4 tenancy period is coming to an end this January as well, so your landlord could have chosen to end your tenancy at that point. However, they would have had to give you 12 weeks' notice to terminate and it's now less than 12 weeks before any date in January, so they can no longer give you legal notice to terminate due to the Part 4 tenancy ending at this point, and you will now have another six years' security of tenure under a new Further Part 4 tenancy.

Advertisement