If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic Plasma to.... ?

Options
  • 14-11-2018 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Howdo,

I'm thinking about upgrading my 11-year-old Panasonic TH-42PY80EY (720p) to a 4k TV.

The main reason is an increase in size to ~55", the resolution increase for Netflix/Youtube & it might persuade me to get back into gaming!  However, the plasma is still flying 11 years later and I'm very reluctant to change it!

It will be mainly used for:
    Cable TV - Standard/HD content (virgin media)
    Streaming Standard/HD content
    4k content on Netflix/YouTube (just realized they charge extra for their 4k package :( )
    4k gaming

My budget would be around 600-900ish.

My questions to the good people at richersounds are:

- If I mainly consume standard def/HD-1080p content will a new set at that budget be any improvement to the plasma or would the quality actually be worse?  
    - Is an OLED set the only comparable model/option if upgrading from a plasma?
    - Which brands have the best smart TV interface in your opinion?  Android TV?

Can you recommend me some sets based on the above?

Thanking you kindly!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

rcs wrote: »
    Howdo,

I'm thinking about upgrading my 11-year-old Panasonic TH-42PY80EY (720p) to a 4k TV.

The main reason is an increase in size to ~55", the resolution increase for Netflix/Youtube & it might persuade me to get back into gaming!  However, the plasma is still flying 11 years later and I'm very reluctant to change it!

It will be mainly used for:
    Cable TV - Standard/HD content (virgin media)
    Streaming Standard/HD content
    4k content on Netflix/YouTube (just realized they charge extra for their 4k package :( )
    4k gaming

My budget would be around 600-900ish.

My questions to the good people at richersounds are:

- If I mainly consume standard def/HD-1080p content will a new set at that budget be any improvement to the plasma or would the quality actually be worse?  
    - Is an OLED set the only comparable model/option if upgrading from a plasma?
    - Which brands have the best smart TV interface in your opinion?  Android TV?

Can you recommend me some sets based on the above?

Thanking you kindly!
    Hi rcs,

If you are looking to upgrade from a plasma, really the only set I would recommend would be an OLED. Kenny bought himself an OLED last year as it was the only one that was comparable to his old plasma. The 4K gaming and movies will automatically be poles apart from the plasma as the brightness, contrast and definition will be far superior in 4K. High definition also looks amazing on the OLEDs. The standard definition content doesn't really look amazing on any TV but it is far better on the OLEDs as the colour depth and contrast is far better than an LED with a backlight.

For a smart interface the Sony Androids are the best and most comprehensive. In a close second is the LG which has a great OS, very user friendly and well laid out.

For an OLED you would be starting off with an LG OLED55B8S which retails at £1479 with a 6 year guarantee. It is a bit above the budget but coming from a plasma it would be my first choice.

In an LED I would recommend the Sony KD55XF9005 at £1199 which has the best contrast for anm LED TV and the most natural colour. It also has the Android operating system.

Let me know if either of these TVs would be of interest to you.

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.