Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!! Form 11 driving me mad!!

• 14-11-2018 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Its the last time i will ever fill out a return myself!!!
    I would hugely appreciate it if someone could help me on a problem with form 11.

Only filling it out as i had rental income.

I had uk paye income jan -july a d irish paye imcome sep to dec.

I have filled out everything except uk income.

I have two questions
    1) i only see an entry for euro rather than sterling, do i just convert on todays rate?
    2) it asks how much tax if any i paid on this.
    I dont have my p60 to hand so i dont know

If i leave this blank will it assume i paid no tax and charge me accordingly?

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Assuming you're filing to Form 11 for 2017:

You can find the average conversion rates from Sterling to Euro on the Central Bank's website. You have to use the average rate for 2017, not today's rate.

You enter the UK employment income in the foreign income section, under "Foreign Employments" - there is a section there for the foreign tax deducted. If you don't enter anything there, the Form will charge tax on the employment income, so you'll need to find the P60.

If you cannot find the P60, you have two options:
    Request another P60 from your UK employer and file the Form when you get it (you'll be late and incur a surcharge).
    Or, file the Form tonight with the tax deducted left blank. The tax will be charged on the employment income on your ITSA assessment and your liability will be higher. You can then locate the P60 from your UK employer and amend the Form 11 after the fact, reducing the liability to your correct liability and the excess tax paid should be refunded to you. This will avoid incurring a surcharge but you may face penalties if you don't pay the full amount of tax charged on the return tonight.

Not being bad but seriously why did you wait til now to file your return?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fisher8181

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Assuming you're filing to Form 11 for 2017:

You can find the average conversion rates from Sterling to Euro on the Central Bank's website. You have to use the average rate for 2017, not today's rate.

You enter the UK employment income in the foreign income section, under "Foreign Employments" - there is a section there for the foreign tax deducted. If you don't enter anything there, the Form will charge tax on the employment income, so you'll need to find the P60.

If you cannot find the P60, you have two options:
    Request another P60 from your UK employer and file the Form when you get it (you'll be late and incur a surcharge).
    Or, file the Form tonight with the tax deducted left blank. The tax will be charged on the employment income on your ITSA assessment and your liability will be higher. You can then locate the P60 from your UK employer and amend the Form 11 after the fact, reducing the liability to your correct liability and the excess tax paid should be refunded to you. This will avoid incurring a surcharge but you may face penalties if you don't pay the full amount of tax charged on the return tonight.

Not being bad but seriously why did you wait til now to file your return?

Thanks so much for detailed advise. Really appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Split year treatment applies??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Split year treatment, if applicable, is be applied by default on the Form 11 if it's been completed correctly, ie, by declaring the amount of Irish to worldwide income to claim the credits by proportion if the OP was non-resident, though on the two year look back rule this isn't likely. Anyway, if the foreign tax was declared then there should be little to no additional liability on the foreign income, because it won't be taxed and therefore will not use up the OP's credits.

Advertisement