Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance before residency? Advice please!

Options
  • 14-11-2018 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Greetings!

I recently purchased a property in Ireland and plan to move to live here permenantly (from the UK), probably next year.

I am already spending a lot of time at the house and wish to purchase a car to use during my extended visits, and to leave it here at the property in Ireland.

So, I've got a permanent address in Ireland and I've found a vehicle to purchase. However, I'm not yet fully resident in Ireland and I can't seem to obtain any online Quotes for Car Insurance, even though I have a full UK (i.e. EU) Driving Licence and 15+ years No Claims Bonus.

Can anyone advise what the problem is? And how I might overcome it please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Will your UK insurance not cover you in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Listener

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately not, because I don't currrently own a car in the UK because I work in Germany most of the time.

Are you suggesting that I could purchase a car in the UK, insure it there and then drive it to Ireland and keep it here?

This seems a bit perverse. And would the UK insurer actually provide cover for a vehicle that was kept here in Ireland about 99% of the year anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Listener

• Registered Users Posts: 51,251 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget about online quotes, they are not designed for people in your circumstances. Ring insurance companies directly along with insurance brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Listener wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately not, because I don't currrently own a car in the UK because I work in Germany most of the time.

Are you suggesting that I could purchase a car in the UK, insure it there and then drive it to Ireland and keep it here?

This seems a bit perverse. And would the UK insurer actually provide cover for a vehicle that was kept here in Ireland about 99% of the year anyway?

That won't work.

I have in-laws are from Caerphilly and they visit here a lot, often for periods of 6 - 8 weeks at a time. They drive over, and sometimes go on to other parts of the world and leave the car here for a couple of weeks at a time.

In any case, on one occasion, he was involved in an accident here in Galway, and subsequently found out his UK insurance would not cover it, and it was a substantial claim- even to his own car. The reason was that the extension to drive in EU countries on UK insurance is limited to 30 days cover per annum outside the UK. His insurer took the view that he wasn't 'visiting' per se, and that the 30 day cover was to cover incidental travel. Anything outside the 30 days and he was effectively a type of 'resident' (here) -and so cover was null & void. A very expensive day out.

The UK company will sell specific cover to allow extended periods outside the UK, but it's a) not cheap, and b) Brexit. Currently there is no known status on what will happen to insurance cover written in the UK, and how it will be treated if they end up outside the EU in March. You might have to buy EU (aka, Irish) insurance anyway. My brother got a letter from his Life Insurance yesterday on this very subject, and how Royal London are transferring 460,000 policies for it's Irish & German clients out of London, to a new Dublin operation, because they (still) don't know what Brexit means for them (insurance companies).

On top of that, you'll have to deal with Revenue and a change of residence, if you're going to be domiciled here, and you'll be looking at re-reging the car/VRT etc etc. Lord knows about the licence situation: there again, if you're in Germany, you probably hold a German one already ??

You can bring a car once on a change of residence (so don't bring a cheap crappy one !) exempt from VRT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

galwaytt wrote: »
    You can bring a car once on a change of residence (so don't bring a cheap crappy one !) exempt from VRT.

Only if the car has been owned and used in the UK for at least six months.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Esel wrote: »
    Only if the car has been owned and used in the UK for at least six months.

correct. But you could own.......10. And motorbikes. And all manner of things

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

galwaytt wrote: »
    correct. But you could own.......10. And motorbikes. And all manner of things

As long as you can prove you used them all.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement