Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C/Red Alert Remastered

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If there are no reviews, I'm guessing no outlets have been given advance copies - can't imagine that means anything in of itself though. The nostalgia factor should be enough & I'd read no update that suggested EA (well, technically Petroglyph) weren't taking it seriously.

It's 20 Euros

Not exactly robbing you!

True but what is this offering that OpenRA is not (outside of better res graphics)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True but what is this offering that OpenRA is not (outside of better res graphics)

Well the whole SP campaigns have been rebuilt if that's your thing; but yes in reduction it's "just" a HD remaster.

Reading reddit and the like, it feels like the community sees this as an opportunity to show there's still an appetite for traditional RTS games - and the C&C franchise specifically. C&C Rivals soured fans and if this sells well, then further remasters become justified, and maybe even a new entry in the series.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well the whole SP campaigns have been rebuilt if that's your thing; but yes in reduction it's "just" a HD remaster.

Reading reddit and the like, it feels like the community sees this as an opportunity to show there's still an appetite for traditional RTS games - and the C&C franchise specifically. C&C Rivals soured fans and if this sells well, then further remasters become justified, and maybe even a new entry in the series.

That's a very good point. I'm a long time fan of RTS games and miss a decent competitive RTS. Starcraft 2 was excellent. I want to support future development. Just bought on steam :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think saying this is just a remaster is underselling it. There's a massive amount of work that has gone into making this the best version of these games and they've also added the console only expansions to the gameplay as well.

It's a bargain for 20 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I love OpenRA but some people prefer the original game, OpenRA changes an awful lot and introduces new rules/units.

Putting aside the upgraded visuals and rebuilding of the general interface - which I'd say is enough for most people to buy - it's also got improved audio and video components too.

I feel like I may end up going back to OpenRA anyway, but I'm happy to support this as it seems a genuine project and isn't expensive.

To be honest OpenRA is so good that I'd happily pay full price for it. It's just amazing what they've done and all the new features they're constantly adding, and they don't even ask for donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think saying this is just a remaster is underselling it. There's a massive amount of work that has gone into making this the best version of these games and they've also added the console only expansions to the gameplay as well.

Console only cutscenes even

General Carville is class for the Red Alert expansions

Retr0gamer wrote: »

IIRC the console expansions were technically the 2 PC expansion packs for Red Alert 1, mushed together with some bridging FMV recorded especially. My intro to C&C (and by extension RTSs) was that PS1 game. Got me hooked on the whole genre.

Then picked up C&C1 on PS1 too (cos I didn't have a PC at the time), and it was only when I got my first PC in the early 2000s that I realised that (at the time) there were 50 billion RTS games out there. It's a near dead genre at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Homelander wrote: »
    I love OpenRA but some people prefer the original game, OpenRA changes an awful lot and introduces new rules/units. .

I remember getting a mod (Buying it in the shops, on a disc, as was the custom at the time) called "are you ready and alert" , had great craic adding units and messing around. Think I still have it, definitely saw the disc in the house recently enough.

Never got around to OpenRA, must give it a go.

EDIT, this is it https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/8y1b97/are_you_ready_and_alert_unofficial_command/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody having issues downloading? Downloads and then gives me an error.

It’s actually problem with laptop as I couldn’t download another game.

Seems to be an issue on my laptop. Not sure if it’s firewall or if something didn’t download right. I uninstalled origin and reinstalled!! Really don’t want to have to buy a laptop just to play this! Anybody any suggestions ?

• Advertisement

• Drumpot wrote: »
    Anybody having issues downloading? Downloads and then gives me an error.

It’s actually problem with laptop as I couldn’t download another game.

Seems to be an issue on my laptop. Not sure if it’s firewall or if something didn’t download right. I uninstalled origin and reinstalled!! Really don’t want to have to buy a laptop just to play this! Anybody any suggestions ?

My first suggestion is why oh why did you buy it on origin!

Tbh unless we know the specifications or your laptop very hard to know how to give you advice.

My first suggestion is why oh why did you buy it on origin!

Tbh unless we know the specifications or your laptop very hard to know how to give you advice.

Where else can you buy it? :confused:

You can tell I don’t buy many pc games!

Where else can you buy it? :confused:

You can tell I don’t buy many pc games!

Steam is preferred by the majority

Anyway too late for that

What laptop model, what specification and what operating system would be a good start

*edit* to note the game doesn't launch until 6pm so might have been the problem all along

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If there are no reviews, I'm guessing no outlets have been given advance copies - can't imagine that means anything in of itself though. The nostalgia factor should be enough & I'd read no update that suggested EA (well, technically Petroglyph) weren't taking it seriously.

Pretty sure it's just embargoed until release, but this website screwed up the tweet for their review, and put it up early. The link is dead until 6, but the tweet itself gives it away.

https://twitter.com/wccftechdotcom/status/1268897249745989632

Steam is preferred by the majority

Anyway too late for that

What laptop model, what specification and what operating system would be a good start

*edit* to note the game doesn't launch until 6pm so might have been the problem all along

It’s a HP intel core i5 , 64 bit , x 64 based processor , Windows 10 ,

18gb download now...? What was the point of the preload

Nevermind its unpacking

It’s a HP intel core i5 , 64 bit , x 64 based processor , Windows 10 ,

Is it downloading now? After 6pm?

That spec is plenty powerful for this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It loaded into a wonderfully silly "Computer Upgrade" sequence when I first started up which I don't mind admitting put a big smile on my face.

Is it downloading now? After 6pm?

That spec is plenty powerful for this

Getting "Error: the VC ++ runtime redistributable package was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue (1)

and then

An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again in a few moments. Error: 327684:1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Shiminay wrote: »
    It loaded into a wonderfully silly "Computer Upgrade" sequence when I first started up which I don't mind admitting put a big smile on my face.

Haha, yes! Seeing the various audio device options was brilliant! :D

Played the first three GDI missions and it is glorious. Fair play, EA. I'll be on this for weeks.

And look at the numbers! The U.S is still in work and yet there are over 40,000 people playing it one hour after launch. Who says there isn't an appetite for good RTS games these days?!

515398.png

• Advertisement

Read four reviews there.

All glowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that'll be the Tesla Coils

noodler wrote: »
    Read four reviews there.

All glowing.

I’m tempted to buy it a second time on steam if origin keeps acting up!

Gah, I had an evening lined up to give this baby a whirl but it didn't pan out so no remaster for me tonight. Isitgoodisitgood? :D

Gah, I had an evening lined up to give this baby a whirl but it didn't pan out so no remaster for me tonight. Isitgoodisitgood? :D

Five stars everywhere so far.

Won't get to it for another hour myself.

Gonna start with NOD campaign.

Getting "Error: the VC ++ runtime redistributable package was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue (1)

and then

An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again in a few moments. Error: 327684:1
    Are you running the latest service packs and patches for Win10 64

Being honest it's a minefield trying to troubleshoot on an open forum hah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

they did a great job on it tbf, the jukebox on the pause menu has so many C&C tracks on it, literally hours worth.. but hellmarch on repeat for the next few hours :)

18gb download now...? What was the point of the preload

Nevermind its unpacking

It's saying this update process will take ages.

I'm with your original point, what was the point of preloading.

The download looks like it will be quicker than this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

they did a great job on it tbf, the jukebox on the pause menu has so many C&C tracks on it, literally hours worth.. but hellmarch on repeat for the next few hours :)

Yeah, only negative I have is how awful the classic graphics option is. If you are stuck with that you'd be better off with the fan patched original. Can't see that happening though as my 10yo i7 920 with 6gb of ddr3 and Radeon HD6870 play it fine.

The original games are free to download from the EA website.

Nice touch that they used the old early 90s EA logo on the menus.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »

and then

TRy updating windows. If that doesn't do it, try download this: https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-visual-c-redistributable-versions-direct-download-links/#6-microsoft-visual-c-redistributable-2019

Advertisement