Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C/Red Alert Remastered

Options

Comments

Was there a difficulty slider in the original? Got to maybe the 4th mission in GDI campaign on hard. The micro is so clunky that almost impossible. Good challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They have also released the source code and will have mod browsing so fans can keep building onto it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember cheesing the final gdi mission but building fences and slowly inching my territory forward. Ai just queued up outside my base.

Then in red alert I got horribly stuck on a timed mission. You had 45 minutes to take over a building at the very back of the enemy base. Couldn't do it in time.

Then realised I had to apc rush with engineers. Did it. Saved in the following mission. I didn't realise the time from the previous mission carried over. Had 4 minutes to beat a 10 minite mission so had effectively soft locked my game.

God I was awful at rts then !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So the resolution is set to 1920x1080 wide-screen bit everything still seems a bit big to me and I'd like to see more of the map...

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks PJ and T.hanks for the help.

I actually think now its in relation to an update for Windows that wont install for some reason.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Error-327684-1/m-p/6134574/highlight/true#M260667

https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/error-327684-1/td-p/6555883

https://howfix.net/console/how-to-fix-error-327684-1-in-origin/

https://sims4studiodownload.com/error-327684-1/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Above links are for anybody else in the future having the same issue as me.

Seems like there are updates that my laptop does not seem to be able to process/install. Its started now, very very slowly , but hopefully if this works, it will help others.....

Wife is insistant I cant buy a laptop just for C&C, very unreasonable , but Ive been on my laptop for nearly 4.5 hours trying to find a fix for this . . Now with the reviews of the game Im desperate to build a massive army and send them all in at once .......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gah, I forgot how annoying the commando missions are.

Here, you've got to keep this one character alive through this mission, so he's really good at killing infantry at range.... except we'll make you destroy buildings that can randomly spew out two infantry, and who can fire on your commando immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

noodler wrote: »
    So the resolution is set to 1920x1080 wide-screen bit everything still seems a bit big to me and I'd like to see more of the map...

Any thoughts?

Are you full zoomed out?

Are you full zoomed out?

Maybe that's it. I'll try that thank you.assume it's just alt and scroll?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Downloading it now. Didn't read any reviews. Heck, I'm only here as I'm seeing a load of lads I know playing it on Steam!

Important question; can you edit the ini files? I remember there being ini files that you could download to make the enemy more evil/faster/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/1268958294007140352

I can't think of any way to tell him to get over himself with this one. It's just a remaster....

• Advertisement

Any thoughts?

I think the side-bar is way too chunky. No need for it to be that size

EDIT: Someone also made a mod on the Steam Workshop that lets you zoom further out/in

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe that's it. I'll try that thank you.assume it's just alt and scroll?

scroll wheel on the mouse will do it. not sure of the keys offhand

I can't think of any way to tell him to get over himself with this one. It's just a remaster....

Well he's right. It's pretty annoying that they couldn't get such a basic feature of RTS games such as attack-move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm really enjoying this. So nostalgic. They've done a great job, surpassed my expectations to be honest. They even brought over the EVA installation!
    CatInABox wrote: »

Here, you've got to keep this one character alive through this mission, so he's really good at killing infantry at range.... except we'll make you destroy buildings that can randomly spew out two infantry, and who can fire on your commando immediately.

I remember the GDI Commando mission driving me mad on release in 95. Same story now. Oddly having fun reliving my frustration! Slowing the gameplay right down helps a lot if you need to.

I'm not sure what he was expecting. Developers have made it pretty clear this is a remaster rather than a remake, no balance changes or gameplay alterations. It's staying true to the original game, warts and all!

Well he's right. It's pretty annoying that they couldn't get such a basic feature of RTS games such as attack-move.

It wasn't a basic feature at the time, though. It's a remaster, not a remake. There was no such thing as attack move in this game, so programming it in would mean having to remake it. This game plays exactly the same as the original with nothing changed mechanically, only visually. I dunno what anyone was expecting tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

CatInABox wrote: »

just given up myself tonight on that mission! Brings back some memories of the same frustration!! :eek:

It wasn't a basic feature at the time, though. It's a remaster, not a remake. There was no such thing as attack move in this game, so programming it in would mean having to remake it. This game plays exactly the same as the original with nothing changed mechanically, only visually. I dunno what anyone was expecting tbh.

Plenty of remasters have QOL features. Sure look at AOE2.

I haven't played computer games in about 20 years apart from the odd game of FIFA or Mario kart but I'm thinking of getting this..

On frustrating missions... I'm currently stuck on NOD 4b (I am playing on hard but still).

You have to wipe out a village but my god, the limited units you start with do not seem adequate for the job at all at all!

They've done a great job alright.

• Had issues with playing skirmish online last night. Servers were hammered by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Plenty of remasters have QOL features. Sure look at AOE2.

With the source code being made public I'd imagine there will be tweaks.

Although when it comes to the likes of pathfinding, the devs have put it on the record that any changes will essentially completely break the single player campaigns. It's not as if they have just overlooked it entirely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

just given up myself tonight on that mission! Brings back some memories of the same frustration!! :eek:

I actually passed it not long later, after I remembered that you don't need to destroy every building, and the more you do, the harder it gets.

I think in total, I just destroyed the three sam sites, plus the mission objective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damnit. Had a free hour to finally have a first look at this ... and need an hour to unload the preload. Sigh.

Any sense on how or if Petroglyph handled balancing? IIRC Red Alert was horribly unbalanced in places...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Damnit. Had a free hour to finally have a first look at this ... and need an hour to unload the preload. Sigh.

Any sense on how or if Petroglyph handled balancing? IIRC Red Alert was horribly unbalanced in places...

Nothing has changed. The balance in tiberian Dawn isn't too bad but I never played the multiplayer in that. I'm really enjoying 1v1 quick matches. I've had apc's rush into my base twice now and sell my construction yard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nothing has changed. The balance in tiberian Dawn isn't too bad but I never played the multiplayer in that. I'm really enjoying 1v1 quick matches. I've had apc's rush into my base twice now and sell my construction yard.

Haha, cool. I used to do that every now and again in Red Alert 2; APC vehicle loaded with engineers, but sometimes included a terror drone too. So when my opponent undeployed their construction yard to avoid the engys, the drone infected it they're stuck unable to re-reploy. Cue the raging messages and quit :D

Wonder what kind of post launch support we'll see, if there'll be any balance patches. Guess it depends on lasting popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Have found memories of C&C back in the day on the old Playstation. Any chance of this coming to PS4, or is it PC only?

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Have found memories of C&C back in the day on the old Playstation. Any chance of this coming to PS4, or is it PC only?

No chance I'd say.

Spec is low tho so you could run it.

Anyways prob be 40 quid on a console, 20 is much fairer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No chance I'd say.

Spec is low tho so you could run it.

Anyways prob be 40 quid on a console, 20 is much fairer.

Yeah, can't see this being released on console. My 10yo potato can run it so there should be no issue for anyone here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

32gigs, wow! was looking at the source code, c++ I'm guessing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

JimBurnley wrote: »

Might do, EA have said they have 14 games coming to switch. They just release Burnout Paradise which was the last remaster they made. So maybe they have plans, especially seeing as how popular this was.

Advertisement